• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Call them, see how much confidence they have in their product? :rolleyes:

or just go visit a GSSF match... where they always have a Glock armorer who will check over your gun, replace any springs and do any work for nothing... with a smile and a cool story or 3.

You might even meet Scotty Banks... who's one cool cat.

I always assumed that Glock had a better warranty because they make a fine product and Glock is a reputable company. Its heart warming to hear people on the internet say how great Glock is on warranty work. But the fact is, open the paper work that comes with your new pistol and in black and white you have a 1 year limited warranty. This fact is not going stop me from buying Glock but it hardly enhances my view of the company.

gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART
    Another "testimonial" I've not heard before. I would imagine if the original design and manufacturing of a product has little to no customer product issues you wouldn't be real experienced in the customer service arena. As an extreme example, (just throwing numbers out) if you receive 125 calls a day about your product verses 3 a month, I don't think you would need a call center to address issues.

I'll just throw out some real numbers. In 2009 (latest figures), Smith & Wesson produced 721,362 firearms, which includes pistols, revolvers, rifles and shotguns. Glock produced 41,294 pistols in the US and a similar quantity in Austria (Glock does not release figures for their Austian production facility). Given that the US makes up the lion's share of Glock sales, and most Glocks sold in the US are manufactured in the US, it stands to reason that the Austrian facility does not likely produce more pistols than the US plant.

With S&W producing more than 700,000 firearms annually of every type, shape and color... And Glock producing probably less than 100,000 pistols of the same type annually... It seems to me that the much larger and more diverse company would need a larger call center. The part that amazes me is the industry-leading customer support that S&W is able to provide, with such a vast array of products and such a large customer base. It also amazes me that Glock provides such an anemic warranty, by today's standards, for what is essentially a single product line.

In terms of warranty length, it also stands to reason that your call center would have to be much larger with a lifetime warranty as opposed to a 1-year warranty. Why would a customer call for support after their 1-year term has expired? Whereas, the company with a lifetime warranty will have to have an exponentially larger call center to deal with the calls about their products that have been in the marketplace for 2-years, 5-years, 10-years, 20-years, etc...

http://www.atf.gov/statistics/download/afmer/2009-firearms-manufacturers-export-report.pdf

Last edited:

24Carat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Newburgh
    I'll just throw out some real numbers. In 2009 (latest figures), Smith & Wesson produced 721,362 firearms, which includes pistols, revolvers, rifles and shotguns. Glock produced 41,294 pistols in the US and a similar quantity in Austria (Glock does not release figures for their Austian production facility)(So how do we know it's a similar production number?). Given that the US makes up the lion's share of Glock sales, and most Glocks sold in the US are manufactured in the US, it stands to reason that the Austrian facility does not likely produce more pistols than the US plant. (Again, how do we know anything about production numbers, they don't release Austrian numbers?)

With S&W producing more than 700,000 firearms annually of every type, shape and color... And Glock producing probably less than 100,000 pistols of the same type annually... It seems to me that the much larger and more diverse company would need a larger call center. The part that amazes me is the industry-leading customer support that S&W is able to provide (because their profits are enormous), with such a vast array of products and such a large customer base. It also amazes me that Glock provides such an anemic warranty, by today's standards (a search for "today's standards" for warranties generated nothing), for what is essentially a single product line.

In terms of warranty length, it also stands to reason that your call center would have to be much larger with a lifetime warranty as opposed to a 1-year warranty. Why would a customer call for support after their 1-year term has expired?(because they have product support well beyond their warranty) Whereas, the company with a lifetime warranty (because they have much larger cash reserves and choose to use their Golden Warranty to increase sales and market share) will have to have an exponentially larger call center to deal with the calls about their products that have been in the marketplace for 2-years, 5-years, 10-years, 20-years, etc...

http://www.atf.gov/statistics/download/afmer/2009-firearms-manufacturers-export-report.pdf

You have made my point.

Warranty length has literally no bearing on product quality. Maybe in the early 20th century but it has no bearing today.

A standard 1 year warranty is to protect the consumer from any potential material or assembly aberration in production. That and if the "standard" is not available the consumer will go with a warranty protected item over one that is not simply by way of common sense.

Long term or lifetime warranties result in higher sales and larger market share
    at an (on going) expense to the company. It is considered a part of doing business. It is an expense of doing business.

It is also a PR ploy which you evidently have bought Hook, Line and Sinker.

Your Smith & Wesson / Glock comparison though initially compelling carries no weight.

Consumer reviews of product support is the measure that holds value here.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    But the fact is, open the paper work that comes with your new pistol and in black and white you have a 1 year limited warranty.

So what? With the widespread availability of certified Glock armorers at almost every gun shop worth its salt, the only reason a Glock should ever need to go back to Smyrna for warranty work is if you blow it up.

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    So what? With the widespread availability of certified Glock armorers at almost every gun shop worth its salt, the only reason a Glock should ever need to go back to Smyrna for warranty work is if you blow it up.

Good point. So far though the only Glock armorer I have found worth his salt is that shooter guy that works in Bradis. :D

I cant believe I'm taking so much heat over the mention of the one year warranty. Glockers defend Glock to the death.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    glocks look the same, boring

Didn't realize a self defense tool was part of high fashion. I guess if you need something to go with your new leather mini skirt and high heels, get something you can make all pretty. I bought a Glock to use as a tool. The other handguns I can serve the same purpose but were bought for other reasons. Shoot what you like but as far as complaining about a gun looking the same and boring, that is pretty lame (at least talk about how they all blow up, kill babies and old women on their own, and keep the DEA busy with their drug distribution rings).

Garb

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2009
    Richmond
    In my opinion, glock would do well to make a subcompact, single stack gun chambered in 9mm and one in .40.

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    Glocks do their job, no arguing that. And if I had the money laying around I would have a few more, along with other things. There are a lot of great pistols out there these days, find what you like and use it. Most of the time there is a Glock on me. :yesway:

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Didn't realize a self defense tool was part of high fashion. I guess if you need something to go with your new leather mini skirt and high heels, get something you can make all pretty.

Whoa, Whoa, I went in drag a Halloween ago and got a sexy Sig P6 to match the purse just for that purpose. :D :D

Glocks are Glocks. With the i-net pricing still fairly higher on them, almost on par with local shops, probably not a ton of drive to get them "transferred". :dunno: Glock IS going to lose some favor though, with the supposed MIM (OH GOD! NOT THAT! :rolleyes: ) extractors and sketchy 4th gen (though fixed) issues. All in all: They want to innovate not knowing that they already have by keeping it simple instead of trying to "personalize" the pistol.

Glox aren't designed to be pretty or uber-fashionable. They are designed to work. Folks that know firearms can always suggest a Glock to a new shooter or an old timer. They fit 90% everyone out there, they are accurate and dependable. It's when they try to "go outside the box" is when problems start. Go reliable! :D

I do like M&P and XDs though... :D

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    With S&W producing more than 700,000 firearms annually of every type, shape and color... And Glock producing probably less than 100,000 pistols of the same type annually...

and yet... all comparisons are to a Glock.... bet that pisses off S&W's PR crew to no end, huh?

other guy

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 9, 2011
    Peru Indiana
    Uh . . . . OK, first "testimonial" of this environmental weakness I have read anywhere. First off the gun is "plastic" is a very rudimentary and inaccurate term. A "cross linked polymer" is as comparable to plastic as raw iron is to stainless steel.

Accelerated environmental lab testing is everything it's cracked up to be. Today's cross linked polymers will be the last vestiges of our existence that will be found eons from now and still be basically intact.

I glad you are such an expert. I only know what I was told by a sherrif's Dept. that has been carring them for 20 yrs. Most I've talked to say polymer is just a fancy word for plastic. It didn't take eons for their frame to crack. And.... they were told by Glock that it was time to trade them in for new ones. Maybe you should notify Glock with your expertise. Set them straight.

24Carat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Newburgh
    I glad you are such an expert. I only know what I was told by a sherrif's Dept. that has been carring them for 20 yrs. Most I've talked to say polymer is just a fancy word for plastic. It didn't take eons for their frame to crack. And.... they were told by Glock that it was time to trade them in for new ones. Maybe you should notify Glock with your expertise. Set them straight.

Not an expert by any means, didn't mean for my prose or my gregarious personality to intimidate.

I do have 15 years experience with field testing first generation cross linked polymers when they were first developed and were introduced to the aviation industry.

I thought an ex-Sheriff's Deputy that now sells guns related this to you? I didn't realize the department related this to you. I apologize.

On the other hand, he might not like plastic guns and makes considerably higher mark up on steel units and feels comfortable passing on a story that promotes those sales.

Glock would never tell a department they need to replace their inventory after one failure would they?

Naw! Never happen on either count, what am I thinking???

caverjamie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 24, 2010
    Dubois Co.
    I have three pistols currently. Glock 19, Walther PPS, and Ruger LCP. I like them all....but recently I have had an itch to get a Walther P99. Thing is, right now I have three sizes of gun for all occasions. I cannot justify more than three handguns to my wife or myself. Maybe down the road if I have more money than I know what to do with. I debated trying to sell the Glock so I could justify buying the P99. I don't think I am going to though - I do like the Glock and see no reason to get rid of it. The P99 is nice too, but I would hate to give something up for it... Yeah I suppose I'll keep the G19.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    Whoa, Whoa, I went in drag a Halloween ago and got a sexy Sig P6 to match the purse just for that purpose. :D :D

Glocks are Glocks. With the i-net pricing still fairly higher on them, almost on par with local shops, probably not a ton of drive to get them "transferred". :dunno: Glock IS going to lose some favor though, with the supposed MIM (OH GOD! NOT THAT! :rolleyes: ) extractors and sketchy 4th gen (though fixed) issues. All in all: They want to innovate not knowing that they already have by keeping it simple instead of trying to "personalize" the pistol.

Glox aren't designed to be pretty or uber-fashionable. They are designed to work. Folks that know firearms can always suggest a Glock to a new shooter or an old timer. They fit 90% everyone out there, they are accurate and dependable. It's when they try to "go outside the box" is when problems start. Go reliable! :D

I do like M&P and XDs though... :D

I really liked the M&P that I've shot but I already had a Glock and couldn't justify a purchase when there are so many other firearms that I wanted at the time. I've only held a gen 4 and I was only meh with it. My gen 3 fits my hand perfectly and there isn't anything that I'd change. I don't see myself ever getting a gen 4. As for going drag, I would have probably went with a P238 Blackwood or maybe the Two Tone.

GlockZ

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 30, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    If you want to buy a gun to personalize buy a 1911. If you want a gun for everyday carry that you can trust your life with, buy a Glock. It is what it is. I carry my Glock 26. Nothing personalized about it, it looks like every other glock 26. There are a lot of complaints about the trigger, since I've always shot Glocks I'm use to it. When it comes time to protect my family or myself I can honestly tell you I will not be thinking about how the trigger felt.

Garb

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2009
    Richmond
    If you want to buy a gun to personalize buy a 1911. If you want a gun for everyday carry that you can trust your life with, buy a Glock. It is what it is. I carry my Glock 26. Nothing personalized about it, it looks like every other glock 26. There are a lot of complaints about the trigger, since I've always shot Glocks I'm use to it. When it comes time to protect my family or myself I can honestly tell you I will not be thinking about how the trigger felt.

Should I not trust my 1911 then? :popcorn:

Top Bottom