Have you ever tried to argue with an idiot?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jason867

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    112   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    New Castle
    Luke 22:36

Then said he to them, But now, he that has a purse, let him take it, and likewise his money: and he that has no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

Very shortly after that, Jesus scolds Peter for using a sword. I figure he meant a 'Sword of the Faith"...

Not that I don't believe in self-defense :draw:

[edit]
    I think John Gills Exposition explains it pretty well:

he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment and buy a sword;
    that is, if he could get one no other way. Christ here uses the common dialect of the nation, as Dr. Lightfoot observes. So on the feast of dedication of the temple,

``if a man had not any thing to eat, but what he had by alms, he must beg, or (wtwok rkwm) , "sell his garment", and take oil, and lamps, and light them .''​
    These words of Christ are not to be understood literally, that he would have his disciples furnish themselves with swords at any rate, since he would never have said, as he afterwards does, that two were sufficient; which could not be enough for eleven men; or have forbid Peter the use of one, as he did in a very little time after this: but his meaning is, that wherever they came, and a door was opened for the preaching of the Gospel, they would have many adversaries, and these powerful, and would be used with great violence, and be followed with rage and persecution; so that they might seem to stand in need of swords to defend them: the phrase is expressive of the danger they would be exposed to, and of their need of protection; and therefore it was wrong in them to be disputing and quarrelling about superiority, or looking out for, and expecting temporal pomp and grandeur, when this would be their forlorn, destitute, and afflicted condition; and they would quickly see the affliction and distress begin in himself. In "seven" ancient copies of Beza's, it is read in the future tense, "he shall take, he shall sell, he shall buy".

Love the 1911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 20, 2010
    I agree with her point of view. However, if it's the crack head's time to go and no one has a gun, how's he get his meet and greet with God? I'd hate to have to get close enough to use a knife on him.

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    go put a "gun free home" sign on her front lawn see how she reacts then

One thing that irritates me about statements like this lady made is that she expects someone else to defend her. She will call the police, scream for the neighbors, tell her husband to do something—and be angry when others do not save her or her child. Pacifists really just depend on everyone else to defend them so they do not have to do it.

I just call it cowardice.

MrBogok

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2009
    Indy
    Sometimes the best way for people to learn is to experience life for themselves. Wish her well, and hope for the best. Not everyone likes or believes in firearms.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    One thing that irritates me about statements like this lady made is that she expects someone else to defend her. She will call the police, scream for the neighbors, tell her husband to do something—and be angry when others do not save her or her child. Pacifists really just depend on everyone else to defend them so they do not have to do it.

I just call it cowardice.

The only way to really differentiate between a coward and a true religious pacifist is to see what they do when the worst happens. If they're just cowards, they will do as you said; if they're true to their beliefs, they will pray for the victim AND the criminal and continue on with their lives.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    Sin-city Tokyo
    So because she has a different opinion than your's, she's an idiot?

Yes. She's an idiot. Not because she merely has a different opinion, it is because she is clearly an idiot, thus making the label entirely correct.

My neighbor is is big anti-gun. She was at a party at our house, and the subject of guns came up. One of my buddies asked her "If you knew someone was one the other side of that door trying to break in to harm you or your kids, wouldn't you want a gun?" At that she said, "No. If God decides it's my time to go, then it's my time to go."

She is obviously a sociopath:

sociopath [( [SIZE=+0]soh [/SIZE]-see-uh-path, [SIZE=+0]soh [/SIZE]-shee-uh-path)]

Someone whose social behavior is extremely abnormal. Sociopaths are interested only in their personal needs and desires, without concern for the effects of their behavior on others.

and/or a psychopath as well:

"Psychopaths also lack empathy towards others in general..."

Notice how her answer was all about it being HER time to go. What about her kids? What if it is not their time to go? I guess they are not that important to her... :xmad: :xmad: :xmad:

If I were you, I would report her to child protective services as an unfit parent, because she apparently would rather let her children be raped and slaughtered in front of her own eyes while foolishly waiting for God/Jesus/The Tooth Fairy/whatever :rolleyes: :nuts: :rolleyes: :nuts: :rolleyes: to save them. Contrary to what Mr. Hillary Clinton thinks, it doesn't take a village to raise a child, just parents that give a damn enough to lift a finger to protect the lives of their very own children.

Calling her merely an idiot is too kind. She deserves far worse due to her stated unwillingness to protect the innocent lives of her own children, and using religion to justify her insanity. If she harbors stranger-rape fantasies or a personal death wish, whatever...but being willing to allow her children to suffer because "It's what Jesus wants," makes her worthlessness as a mother and as a human being. :ranton:

strahd71

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    wanatah
    unfortunately people like this woman who is probably a very nice person and all will cling to those beliefs until "something/someone" preys upon her or her loved ones. its only when we realize that we are in control of our own destiny's and we are responsible for our personal protection and that the police as hard as they try usually clean up the mess not prevent it. then she will learn, probably too late but she will lean. i pray she doesn't ever have the need to change her mind............

Jake

schafe

Master
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Monroe Co.
    Yep.
    And to that I answer, "Exactly. And God's will for me is to put me in a country where I can carry to protect myself...because he might have more pressing matters today."
    I don't know about the pressing matters, but he surely put me in a position to examine the world and its dangers, and decide for myself, the morality of ownership and carry. My conscience tells me that I need to supplement the original old worn out tool (body) he gave me to defend my family and myself from those who would take our lives. I now embrace the new tool, difficult as it is to admit that the old one just won't suffice anymore.

Concerned Citizen

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2010
    Brownsburg
    I guess the reason it hit me so hard, is I HAVE BEEN a victim of violent crime. Back in the 70's, when I was a small child, I lost a parent to some drug addicts on a crime spree, that were willing to kill just to get a car.

I can't say it it enough...VIOLENT CRIME DOES NOT JUST HAPPEN TO OTHER PEOPLE!

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    That is so sad to hear that decision by some folks. My neighbor got emphyzema, could not work, didn't try to work and his family paid for it big time, they were foreclosed, what a miserable existance. Upon talking with him one day while he was out on his porch smoking a ciggarette, he pretty much said "it was in God's hands..." No, it was in his foolish hands thinking that SOMEONE else would take care of all of it. :(

goinggreyfast

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 21, 2010
    Morgan County
    I am a licensed Clergyperson and part time Missionary to East Africa. I am also involved in a ministry at a local prison working with some pretty hardcore knuckleheads. (A lot of these guys eventually get out and not all of them I work with are rehabilitated.) I carry, my wife carries, and I know a great number of fellow Believers that carry as well. Not only that, but there is a fair amount of firepower within reach in my home should anyone get stupid.

Your question though, can be a very tough one to answer, especially if the other person is not willing to be open-minded. I firmly believe God will protect me should I need protected. But I also believe he provided me with a way of protecting myself and those I love, should the need arise. I don't even begin to claim that I can answer for "all of us" though, I just know what I believe.

BTW, check my tagline from the book of Luke.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I have had this conversation to many times in my Political class. Last week I had a guy tell me we should not be able to own semi-auto rifles but hunting shotguns and rifles are ok to own. I simply told him that if you let them have one classification of firearms they'll eventually take them all. People like that are not worth the effort of arguing with. State your opinion and let it go. Some people are set in their ways and do not realize certain things until something happens to them. I have other opinions but do not want to turn it into a Religious debate.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    She brought up her religious perspective on this issue. Fine. Assuming this lady is a Christian (if not let us know) she ought to be able to be reasoned with from the Bible. If that's the case here are few comments/ideas for you if you choose to engage her over this.:

1. God's sovereignty and human responsibility are both taught in the Bible.
    2. God usually works through secondary means. Otherwise it's a miracle (more or less, but we're not being technically pickey here).
    3. She's responsible to make use of the means God's provided within the context of the Bible. Examples: Ask her if she had a test next week if she'd study for it? After all, if God's wants her to pass she will. Does she have a job? Why? Won't God provide for her by just dropping food in her mouth? The examples are endless (why plant crops, why brush your teeth, why carry insurance, why DO anything, etc.) to illustrate the point. It's clear we are to take due care for many things. Only then, after due care has beentaken, ought the results be left to God.
    4. A simple context to start with is the 6th commandment, "Thou shalt not murder." All the commandments have two sides. In the 6th, those two sides are briefly; Don't take life unjustly and use the available lawful means to preserve innocent life. She probably hasn't thought of the latter.
    5. Don't expect a miracle in defense of your life. That's presumption.

One more example, David, a man the Bible describes as a man, "after God's own heart," (1 Sam. 13.14, Acts 13.22) made ample use of weapons. He did not simply walk into battle presumptively and expect/assume God would care for him using miraculous means. He recognized the right use of the means God had provided (for that time, shield, bow, spear, sword, etc.), yet his trust remained not in the means but in God. “Through thee [i.e. God] will we push down our enemies: through thy name will we tread them under that rise up against us. For I will not trust in my bow, neither shall my sword save me. But thou hast saved us from our enemies, and hast put them to shame that hated us.” Psa. 55:5-7.

Best wishes. It's an uphill battle.

Last edited:

IndySSD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 14, 2010
    Wherever I can CC le
    So because she has a different opinion than your's, she's an idiot?

No, she's an idiot because she's being foolish.
    id·i·ot

noun \ˈi-dē-ət\
    Definition of IDIOT

usually offensive : a person affected with extreme mental retardation

: a foolish or stupid person

idiot adjective

Use her logic against her. Even Jesus preached the importants of self defense.

Yep!

Really? Where at?

I don't know about specific "Red text" entries but there are multiple entries in the bible about it.

Exodus 22:2: "If the thief is caught
    while breaking in, and is struck so that he dies, there will be no blood guiltiness on his account."

The Bible also tells us to protect the innocent, Deut. 19:10, "So innocent blood will not be shed in the midst of your land which the Lord your God gives you as an inheritance, and blood
    guiltiness be on you."

"Fathers shall not be put to death for their sons, nor shall sons be
    put to death for their fathers; everyone shall be put to death for his own sin," (Deut. 24:16).

Natural selection ... :):

Yup.

never argue with an idiot they will just drag you down to thier level then beat you with experience.

Love this quote.

Then said he to them, But now, he that has a purse, let him take it, and likewise his money: and he that has no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

This one is misleading, but there are others that aren't. (Like the ones I quoted above)

Yes. She's an idiot. Not because she merely has a different opinion, it is because she is clearly an idiot, thus making the label entirely correct.

She is obviously a sociopath:

sociopath [( [SIZE=+0]soh [/SIZE]-see-uh-path, [SIZE=+0]soh [/SIZE]-shee-uh-path)]

Someone whose social behavior is extremely abnormal. Sociopaths are interested only in their personal needs and desires, without concern for the effects of their behavior on others.

and/or a psychopath as well:

"Psychopaths also lack empathy towards others in general..."

Notice how her answer was all about it being HER time to go. What about her kids? What if it is not their time to go? I guess they are not that important to her... :xmad: :xmad: :xmad:

If I were you, I would report her to child protective services as an unfit parent, because she apparently would rather let her children be raped and slaughtered in front of her own eyes while foolishly waiting for God/Jesus/The Tooth Fairy/whatever :rolleyes: :nuts: :rolleyes: :nuts: :rolleyes: to save them. Contrary to what Mr. Hillary Clinton thinks, it doesn't take a village to raise a child, just parents that give a damn enough to lift a finger to protect the lives of their very own children.

Calling her merely an idiot is too kind. She deserves far worse due to her stated unwillingness to protect the innocent lives of her own children, and using religion to justify her insanity. If she harbors stranger-rape fantasies or a personal death wish, whatever...but being willing to allow her children to suffer because "It's what Jesus wants," makes her worthlessness as a mother and as a human being. :ranton:

DAGNABBIT BDD!! I must spread it around some more!

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    One does need exercise some care in "picking verses," if that's going to be one's approach.

Some of the above citations clearly apply to the state/courts and not the individual. Deut 24:16 is a good example.

Top Bottom