Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    I wish I could have made it but I ended up driving for Uber too late and didn’t get to bed until 4 AM. Any amendments? Or does that happen at the second reading? Eliminating GFZ on school buses or school properties would be terrific but I see that falling by the wayside once the wrangling begins (if it hasn’t happened already).
    Those were amended out first thing today.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Props to Coach!! He batted lead off and crushed it! Synopsis coming later tonight. Great news on the vote, I cut out at 1130 since I said I'd be back to work by lunch. Two more to testify when I left, the one Up as I was walking sounded looney.

brotherbill3

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    Hamilton Co.
    Thanks Coach - we can all take turns buying a drink or dinner perhaps ...

sorry I'm still sidelined by life ... (Sorta like what CBH said ) and the day job being a pain.
    I'll watch for synopsis and read/ watch follow up later.

Hope to see these move along. ... Sounds like Jim when for the full run of the hopscotch thing and got a jump in and ... well I never did get that game ...1 step forward.

SwikLS

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 26, 2015
    The Bunker
    So correct me if I'm wrong, this bill would make all school property like college campuses and private property in general. Its not illegal to have a gun on school property but the school can still have a policy of no guns and if asked to leave because you are found to be carrying a gun you must leave or be charged with criminal trespass?

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    So correct me if I'm wrong, this bill would make all school property like college campuses and private property in general. Its not illegal to have a gun on school property but the school can still have a policy of no guns and if asked to leave because you are found to be carrying a gun you must leave or be charged with criminal trespass?

The bill was amended this morning and the ability to carry would fall only to school employees who have completed the mandatory training. The training and carrying of firearms would be by voluntary employees only and only if the local school board decided it was ok.

lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI
    The bill was amended this morning and the ability to carry would fall only to school employees who have completed the mandatory training. The training and carrying of firearms would be by voluntary employees only and only if the local school board decided it was ok.
    So how is that any different than the law that’s already in place now? It seems like all they did was add another restriction to the law with the training.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    I think the improvement with this bill is that it will help coax school districts to take the first real step toward protecting students. School folks have no idea how to actually protect the students from this type of attack. I think this will be a step in the right direction. There is major opposition to this bill and it will take grassroots support and a lot of calls to make it happen.

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    From the FOX 59 article:

“ISTA maintains that arming teachers is not the appropriate answer to these kinds of safety concerns,” said Keith Gambill, vice president of the Indiana State Teachers Association.The organization said the money proposed for firearms training should instead go to mental health and counseling services for students.“We believe that the school safety resources need to be directed at issues that are directly impacting students,” said Gambill.

I guess coming face-to-face with a school shooter isn't "directly impacting" enough???

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    No. HB 1253 provides a grant for 40 hours of training (for those who qualify) for school employees (amendment passed this morning changed it from teachers to school employees). School boards still have the say on this. By doing that a lot of support came the bill's way.

I have a crap-ton of notes from this morning. After dinner I'll translate from hieroglyphics to INGO-ese on what all happened.

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    From the FOX 59 article:

“ISTA maintains that arming teachers is not the appropriate answer to these kinds of safety concerns,” said Keith Gambill, vice president of the Indiana State Teachers Association.The organization said the money proposed for firearms training should instead go to mental health and counseling services for students.“We believe that the school safety resources need to be directed at issues that are directly impacting students,” said Gambill.

I guess coming face-to-face with a school shooter isn't "directly impacting" enough???

That guy was a real DB, more to follow.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    No. HB 1253 provides a grant for 40 hours of training (for those who qualify) for school employees (amendment passed this morning changed it from teachers to school employees). School boards still have the say on this. By doing that a lot of support came the bill's way.

I have a crap-ton of notes from this morning. After dinner I'll translate from hieroglyphics to INGO-ese on what all happened.

Ahhh come on. Just take a picture. I love reading doodles. :):

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon

Coach was probably saying to himself, "Is that even in English??" I went through it, I'm not sure what some of the symbols actually mean.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    I have yet to get to a TV but the mere idea of seeing Coach in a suit is enough to make me shiver.

Thanks so much for taking this on, especially as a cost to you financially. My spouse works for a school, so I still get a bit of happiness even tho I will not be allowed to carry there.

Maybe I can become a substitute cook or some such, then take the training and be allowed to carry when I visit her.

Thanks to all for the support of this.

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon

IaHZiUU.jpg

Top Bottom