HB1231 passes in house- (Centerfire rifles for deer hunting)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    The Bowhunt Mafia in this state has fought progress in widening allowed weapons for deer for years now, at every step along the way - crossbows, pistol caliber rifles, then the expansion to 1.800" cases.

The same group of people resorted to publicly drawing anti-gunners and non-hunters into the mix late in the game last year, using FUD and emotion (because pesky things like "facts" don't sway) to kill a proposal which for all intents and purposes appeared ready to be rubber-stamped.

With that in mind, one might forgive me if I don't care that the people went over the head of the DNR in an attempt to get this thing done.

Tynimiller

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 20, 2014
    Osceola
    Than do not, EVER, complain about anything further when the legislatures start getting their hands deeper into fishing and hunting.

Also just an fyi, it is not just bowhunters that opposed their inclusion. Sure if you polled bowhunters and then gunhunters (not guys/gals that do both) sure the opinions will be swayed, but from everything I've heard the DNR constantly got split responses from everyone on the HPR topic.

I will be unaffected either way personally, which is why I feel we need to either fully allow or fully disallow...this okay through a pistol but not a long gun is stupidity.

Last edited:

Willie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Warrick County
    It was a perfect storm that sunk the IDNR HPR proposal. In addition to the perceived safety factor that was pushed there were individuals and groups that were whining about a "severe decline of the deer herd" and these long range guns would decimate the herd further.

I've always deplored going to the legislature to get game management rules changed. I still feel the same way. These amendments are a prime example of people changing things that they have no clue about. This bill and amendments make a Chinese Fire Drill look organized.

Expatriated

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 22, 2013
    Here's my greatest beef with this whole thing, and every sportsman should feel the same (no matter your stance on HPRs allowed).

The DNR and even the NRC were formed by the State to organize and operate and run all Fish and Wildlife related things. Bag limits, seasons, regulations and such. Last year there was serious discussion about the inclusion of HPRs in a broader way than already allowed (which they are). In the end the DNR/NRC both concluded it was far too much of a split 50-50 subject with Indiana hunters...I bet if it had been more like 66% for we may have very well made it. I think they made the right call not going with a change no more are for than are against.

If bow hunters united and attempted to push firearm seasons be cut by 50% days wise, and it was split 50-50 I would hope for a similar response from them.

So now that the HPR fanboys did not get their way they are attempting to supercede the DNR by forcing it in legislatively. This is NOT something any sportsman should desire. If we are going to allow HPRs, so be it, but we need to do it the right way.

Many of our legislative servants know VERY little about hunting or fishing or the outdoors and that is why the DNR exists...so we do not have as great of an "ivory tower" syndrome occurrence in our regulations when it comes to hunting and fishing.

I for one hope it doesn't pass, but it has NOTHING to do with the bill or what is in it...it has everything to do with the avenue being taken.

I guess I can understand your point but I don't really see DNR applying any better common sense or logic to things than the legislature. The case length thing specific to a particular species was/is a perfect example.

I took this approach to be something that was able to circumvent the ineptitude of the DNR and get some common sense legislation passed to bring Indiana hunting at least up to the 19th century.

I'm not sure you want a separate level of government that "knows about" a topic to get something passed. Our legislature knows little about guns too, but we all pushed for them to straighten out that messed up guns at "school functions".

I'm sure DNR does some good things. I just don't think making regulations is one of them. We already have the shortest deer season for firearms of any state I've ever lived in. And a bunch of other things I could name that seem messed up to me.

Tynimiller

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 20, 2014
    Osceola
    I'm sure DNR does some good things. I just don't think making regulations is one of them. We already have the shortest deer season for firearms of any state I've ever lived in. And a bunch of other things I could name that seem messed up to me.

Um....shortest? I wasn't disagreeing with you till this sentence about firearm season length caught me off guard...still not disagreeing just curious...

We have on average 30 days +/- where firearms can be utilized in a hunt. Some counties can add another 7 days +/- if you are in a county with that late season bonus antlerless season. That is over an entire month for firearms.

I know some think it isn't enough, but what other states have you lived in that have shorter?

We pretty much coincide with Michigan, and am fairly certain we have more than Ohio and Illinois...Kentucky I'm not sure of.

SteveM4A1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 3, 2013
    Rockport
    I guess I can understand your point but I don't really see DNR applying any better common sense or logic to things than the legislature. The case length thing specific to a particular species was/is a perfect example.

I took this approach to be something that was able to circumvent the ineptitude of the DNR and get some common sense legislation passed to bring Indiana hunting at least up to the 19th century.

I'm not sure you want a separate level of government that "knows about" a topic to get something passed. Our legislature knows little about guns too, but we all pushed for them to straighten out that messed up guns at "school functions".

I'm sure DNR does some good things. I just don't think making regulations is one of them.

I agree. The DNR has shown their stupidity on game/fish management time and time again, so why the butthurt over taking it to the legislature? The IN DNR does not always make the best decisions.

brotherbill3

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    Hamilton Co.
    It was a perfect storm that sunk the IDNR HPR proposal. In addition to the perceived safety factor that was pushed there were individuals and groups that were whining about a "severe decline of the deer herd" and these long range guns would decimate the herd further.

I've always deplored going to the legislature to get game management rules changed. I still feel the same way. These amendments are a prime example of people changing things that they have no clue about. This bill and amendments make a Chinese Fire Drill look organized.

Glad I'm not alone in this thinking.

oh - Sen Tomes replied to a mass e-mail I sent last night RE - opposing the nonsense version of this - he said it was expected to be headed to conference committee (next week).

Just thought I'd drop the info here.

Expatriated

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 22, 2013
    Um....shortest? I wasn't disagreeing with you till this sentence about firearm season length caught me off guard...still not disagreeing just curious...

We have on average 30 days +/- where firearms can be utilized in a hunt. Some counties can add another 7 days +/- if you are in a county with that late season bonus antlerless season. That is over an entire month for firearms.

I know some think it isn't enough, but what other states have you lived in that have shorter?

We pretty much coincide with Michigan, and am fairly certain we have more than Ohio and Illinois...Kentucky I'm not sure of.

Well, i was just referring to the 2 week gun season, one week of which is always thanksgiving which stinks. But if youre including muzzleloader and bonus, then its even worse. PA where i grew up hunting has something like 1 week in oct, a week or so in nov, couple of weeks in dec and 3 weeks in jan.

Down south has even longer seasons.

When i tell my friends in other states you can hunt with a shotgun for 14 days, with one week being the week of thanksgiving, they cant believe it. The bonus thing allows another week but that is a more recent development.

Its not the end of the world. I like in enough to live here despite the lack of great hunting opportunities. Its not like i live somewhere just for the hunting but i wish the ahotgun/rifle season was more like a month or more.

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    Kentucky's modern gun season is either 9 days or 16 days depending on "zone"; I think very few counties have the short 9-day season and the ones that do are typically in eastern KY.

Willie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Warrick County
    It is going to conference committee where it can be changed further or dropped completely. I understand that the original author is not to happy with the bill in it's present form.

Expatriated

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 22, 2013
    South Carolina where I lived, you can hunt from October to Jan in most places, some places Aug to Jan.

Buck limit is 2 a day, 5 per season. Anterless is limited to one per day.

When you move from that to Indiana, Indiana seems a bit restrictive LOL

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    South Carolina where I lived, you can hunt from October to Jan in most places, some places Aug to Jan.

Buck limit is 2 a day, 5 per season. Anterless is limited to one per day.

When you move from that to Indiana, Indiana seems a bit restrictive LOL

Aren't the S.C. bucks about 3 feet tall and about 90lbs?

Paul30

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    First standard caliber rifles like the 3006, then the crossman airbow in bow season.. Might as well keep progressing. A single shot bow without limbs. It's a limbless crossbow. It does have a string, you have to cock it in the back with a lever that pulls a cable, like a crossbow. It is safer than an older style crossbow since it has no limbs sticking out to hit a tree when it fires. Less likely to ever have a limb explode and injure a shooter. Pioneer Airbow

Willie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Warrick County
    I have no problem with adding air guns to the firearm seasons there are some big bore air guns out there that are MORE than adequate for hunting deer. The so called airbow is not archery equipment at all. It is an airgun that shoots an arrow. There is no fast forward moving string powered by a set of bent limbs pushing broadhead tipped arrow..thus it is not archery and has no business in the archery season...

M4Madness

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Springville
    Conference Committee – If the bill passed by one chamber is then amended by the other, the
    amendment(s) must be agreed to by the first chamber before the legislative process can be completed.
    Should the first chamber dissent (refuse to give its consent), a conference committee of two members
    from each house is appointed to work out a version of the bill that will be satisfactory to both houses. All
    four members must sign the conference committee report and it must be favorably voted on in both
    houses. Once this has been accomplished, the bill goes to the governor for signature.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Yeah. But you can shoot 60 in a season so it works out :)

1979, summer, inebriated and running through the back part of an east coast Marine Air station.
    Ran across a "deer" that was not as big as my dog back home.
    It was living on the air station, and was deaf. I sneaked up behind it and slapped it on the rear-end.
    That thing sure jumped fast...

We had another one hit on the runway one night by an incoming F-4J Phantom doing roughly 180 mph.
    The biggest part they found was a chunk about the size of 2 fists balled together. What a mess.
    Did roughly $20,000 damage to the wing tank, main landing gear door and strut...

Bet they would taste good though.

Top Bottom