HB1231 passes in house- (Centerfire rifles for deer hunting)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    If I'm reading the 10mm part right, it does not exclude the .40 S&W.

"commercially available bullet of ten (10) millimeters in diameter"

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    If I'm reading the 10mm part right, it does not exclude the .40 S&W.

"commercially available bullet of ten (10) millimeters in diameter"

I haven't seen the full language yet, but I suspect that they'll exclude the shorter cartridge with a case length restriction.
    Most folks wouldn't consider .40 S&W an ethical choice for deer, even though decent SWC or HP loads out of the 10mm are entirely satisfactory, as long as the hunter does his part with shot placement, which applies to all cartridges used, of course.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    I haven't seen the full language yet, but I suspect that they'll exclude the shorter cartridge with a case length restriction.
    Most folks wouldn't consider .40 S&W an ethical choice for deer, even though decent SWC or HP loads out of the 10mm are entirely satisfactory, as long as the hunter does his part with shot placement, which applies to all cartridges used, of course.

the bill specifically says "notwithstanding" case length restrictions for handgun cartridges, so any commercially available 10mm bullet would be legal from a handgun as long as it meets the other criteria (4 inch or longer barrel).

Tynimiller

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 20, 2014
    Osceola

Expatriated

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 22, 2013
    So, this will be a separate season? Why does Indiana do different seasons for different guns? Why not have "Firearm" season for a month? And whether you use a rifle, shotgun, or muzzleloader, you can go hunt. This is what I'm used to and I don't really understand the logic behind dividing up the different guns.

Willie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Warrick County
    If the bill should become law, in my opinion a separate license is not likely. Also, a separate season from the current firearms season is not likely. JMHO

I agree.. It will fall under the Firearm license just like the handguns do now..and run concurrent with he firearm season.. Just like the crossbows run concurrent with the archery season..

Paul30

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    I have no problem with adding air guns to the firearm seasons there are some big bore air guns out there that are MORE than adequate for hunting deer. The so called airbow is not archery equipment at all. It is an airgun that shoots an arrow. There is no fast forward moving string powered by a set of bent limbs pushing broadhead tipped arrow..thus it is not archery and has no business in the archery season...
    In the end, it will be a single shot broadhead tipped arrow with fetching to keep it flying strait. I recall long ago when the bow hunting community was up in arms, there was a new thing coming out called a compound bow that would reduce the amount of weight you held back and make it much easier for anyone to get into bow hunting. They fought it for a while because they didn't want all the guys who didn't already hunt encroaching on their territory. They didn't want to have to compete with more hunters. The way I see it, it is no different than a crossbow as they both fire an arrow with a single pull of the trigger. Now if they decide to put 6 or 10 of those on a rotating cylinder which could easily be done and make it a semi auto air bow, I might see where it is a different game changer. I believe they now allow crossbows for anyone who hunts archery during the entire season, so I really see this as a similar argument. More accurate device that is safer to operate and should reduce the number of animals wounded that are not recovered. They sell the same amount of tags for game control, so what anyone hunts with should not change the number of animals taken other than if a person shoots an inferior gun or bow and wounds several before actually recovering one.

Tynimiller

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 20, 2014
    Osceola
    So, this will be a separate season? Why does Indiana do different seasons for different guns? Why not have "Firearm" season for a month? And whether you use a rifle, shotgun, or muzzleloader, you can go hunt. This is what I'm used to and I don't really understand the logic behind dividing up the different guns.

Um...they already do. The only season that is separately entirely is Muzzleloader season when it comes to firearms. Like I said the NRA article makes it seem as if it will be an entirely different season...my hunch is if it passes it will go right along with the already in place Firearm Season (where any legal firearm can be used).

Tynimiller

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 20, 2014
    Osceola
    Probably true. And yet another reason for not having DNR making rules.

From what I've observed, it seems to me that IN DNR's main goal is to try to encourage hunting...in other states.

What things lead you to think the IDNR would like less and less hunters here? Or to want to hunt elsewhere?

brotherbill3

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    Hamilton Co.
    The link says "No meetings scheduled".

What needs to happen now? Committee meets and sends it to Governor?

The rest of the committee needs appointed ... they have a few days - meet, discuss, amend, - then
    A)Committee votes - FOR - sign off - send back to full house and full senate - they both vote. if both houses approve - then on to the gov.
    B)Don't get that done or an unsuccessful vote - Ends it.

Top Bottom