HB1231 passes in house- (Centerfire rifles for deer hunting)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    Not going to change a thing that I do...still going to use my Mossberg scoped 20 GA with the 24" rifled barrel + shooting sabot's...it's been an effective enough deer gun for 35 years now...why change? I may try handgun this year...why not change it up a bit?

Personally...if they never allowed a HP rifle to be use in deer hunting...I wouldn't be bothered a bit! IMHO...that would be a bad course of action anyhow! I'd be more concerned about 'stray bullets' than anything else! Not everyone can nor should be shooting a HP rifle out in the woods unsupervised anyhow!

SteveM4A1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 3, 2013
    Rockport
    Not going to change a thing that I do...still going to use my Mossberg scoped 20 GA with the 24" rifled barrel + shooting sabot's...it's been an effective enough deer gun for 35 years now...why change? I may try handgun this year...why not change it up a bit?

Personally...if they never allowed a HP rifle to be use in deer hunting...I wouldn't be bothered a bit! IMHO...that would be a bad course of action anyhow! I'd be more concerned about 'stray bullets' than anything else! Not everyone can nor should be shooting a HP rifle out in the woods unsupervised anyhow!

Are stray bullets an issue in other states? Or are we just dumberer here in Indiana?

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Are stray bullets an issue in other states? Or are we just dumberer here in Indiana?

Yep
    I would also add that shotgun slugs, particularly the Foster type, are far more likely to ricochet than HPR bullets are.
    And that's not just my opinion, but the opinion of scientists testing in a controlled environment.

M4Madness

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Springville
    Heck, in states that already allow rifles for deer, shotguns still account for around 3 times the number of accidental hunting deaths than rifles.

M4Madness

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Springville
    I don't think Ohio allowed rifles in 2007,and currently I believe only straight wall cases.

Ohio was just an example, not a specific reference. Just browsing through some of the various states' data shows a lot of shotgun accidents.

Indiana has allowed PCR's for 9 seasons now, and I am unaware of any accidents with them. On the other hand, we have had slug gun shootings in that time frame.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Wonder how the stats would have changed if the Ohio geniuses had HP rifles (majority of the 2007 incidents- failure to ID target, or what was beyond target).
    Doesn't say if they shot at skylined critters, or the shot was bounced.

Top Bottom