HB1231 passes in house- (Centerfire rifles for deer hunting)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cavemike

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    In anticipation of Mr. Pence signing this, I am going to a friends house tomorrow to shoot my Marlin 30-30 and my Remington .308. I look forward to having a choice of 4 rifles to hunt with this year. 336 3030, Mod 700 .308, Marlin 336 .35 Rem shortened ( still in limbo NICS delayed), Marlin 1894 .41 Mag. I am a happy camper.

Mike

PS

Greg Porter and Greg Taylor both voted no on this bill. I will be asking them why.

Sling10mm

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2012
    The bureaucracy in those Colorado regs makes me nauseous, but I do like how they defined their caliber requirements.

It seems idiotic to try and call out specific calibers that are legal. Why would you specify only a hand full, when there are probably what, hundreds of calibers capable of taking deer?

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    IMHO they went with a handful to get the thing rolling, if it goes well expect it to open up to anything over .243 win.
    If things go poorly, back to only PCR.
    Ignorance and political safety.

Sling10mm

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2012
    I'm a little confused now because I followed the link at the start of this thread and it says anything .243 or larger with a case length of 1.16" or longer is acceptable. Is that an older version of the bill?

M4Madness

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Springville
    The DNR can simply go .243" or larger during its next rule change, which would make both the five caliber thing and the 4-year sunset a moot point.

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    And the amount of 44mag lever guns in the used for sale forums is about to hit the roof!

So what will the poor saps with 358 hoosier do?

So what is up with the weird 2020 sunset?

Paul30

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    And the amount of 44mag lever guns in the used for sale forums is about to hit the roof!

So what is up with the weird 2020 sunset?

44 Magnum lever action is a fine rifle, if I hunted I would upgrade to a normal rifle for hunting, but I would not get rid of the 44 magnum lever action. that said, finances may convince some to sell one to ease the cost of upgrading to a better rifle. Although I can't imagine it not being renewed at the sunset, it might be wise to not sell your 44 until it is made permanent. I guess they hold their value, you could always repurchase the 44 later and trade the normal caliber rifle in on it.

As to the 358 Hoosier, if it were mine I believe I would have it rechambered in the normal358 and be able to use normal ammunition off the shelf like everyone else if that is possible.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    44 Magnum lever action is a fine rifle, if I hunted I would upgrade to a normal rifle for hunting, but I would not get rid of the 44 magnum lever action. that said, finances may convince some to sell one to ease the cost of upgrading to a better rifle. Although I can't imagine it not being renewed at the sunset, it might be wise to not sell your 44 until it is made permanent. I guess they hold their value, you could always repurchase the 44 later and trade the normal caliber rifle in on it.
    [...]

Yep
    I'll definitely be keeping my Marlin 1894 .45 Colt, even though I'm intending to bring my Ruger M77 .30-06 as my primary deer rifle this fall.
    In fact, I just might go ahead and bring the Marlin along in addition to the Ruger for very close shots, since its scope has a side focus for parallax that would give it an accuracy advantage for deer within about 20 yards.
    My Ruger has an ordinary Leupold scope with fixed parallax corrected for 100 yards.

Last edited:

d80hunter

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2015
    Hope

I would recommend throwing a peep sight on the 44 mags, they will be just a good as any close range brush gun as any light weight rifle for whitetail deer.

I would keep on using these rifles if you reload and have the components. If it matches a .358 Winchester then it is still as good as any other HPR.

boman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 19, 2009
    indianapolis
    I certainly wouldn't get rid of a 358 Hoosier if I had one...but all one needs to do to make it a 308 is rebarrel.

By the time you pay for barrel, gunsmith, dies etc. It would be about the same as a new rifle. I have a 358wssm and will continue to hunt with it although I have other rifles in the new calibers. It's just a matter of choice for me.

Steve

midget

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 2, 2010
    Leo
    I personally will still keep my Henry 44mag. I love shooting it!
    I'm hoping someone decides to sell a Marlin as a result of this ruling though. I have an itch to build one into a suppressed rifle :)

AGarbers

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Martinsville

As to the 358 Hoosier, if it were mine I believe I would have it rechambered in the normal358 and be able to use normal ammunition off the shelf like everyone else if that is possible.

Exactly. The .358 Winchester is a great round. all though, hard to find ammo for at times.

Top Bottom