• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I am another big ran of Streamlight. I have a microstream as my EDC light. Very small, easy to carry all day everyday and no notice it is there. They have several good models that I like. Good luck with your decision.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    If you are going to depend on it to work when you need it, Surefire, Streamlight or Inova are my first choices.

The Inova X5 is the same diameter as a 12 gauge hull. Compares to smaller Surefire handhelds in size. Also uses two 123 batteries, a requirement of mine for most of my lights. The X1 is huge for a light that uses only 1 AA battery and puts out a spot.

Gerber lights are not bad, but the Infinity Ultra is the light to look at there. It was the mainstay light of the company when Gerber bought them. Truly an overbuilt light for the size. Amazing output as well as great price. I once bought a ton of them for $5 each some years ago. It is about a $25 light. Not one has ever failed. Small enough to clip to a hat brim. Smaller then the surefire executive. Not as tough

The thing about lights, you can buy 3 that fail or one that works and be done.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Ordered the Streamlight pt2L last night, thanks for the responses guys, as always very helpful!

Although it looks like you've already decided, I'll go ahead and give my :twocents:

My advice, based on your requirements and my own experience, would be a Streamlight PT2L. ;)

I've been carrying this as my non-work EDC for several weeks now and I like everything about it.

First, the light is BRIGHT. 180 lumens is adequate for self-defense situations, and for searching at close to intermediate distances.

Second, I really like how the modes work, especially if this would ever be used as a blinding/impact tool. All the 'switching' is done with your thumb on the button.

One 'hit', either momentary or constant, is your full-power light-- this is perfect as your first line, and what you'd use most often.

Two 'hits', either momentary or constant, is your strobe. I don't find strobe particularly useful for defense scenarios, but I still like that you can access it one-handed with just your thumb. I think strobe can come in handy during times when you WANT to be visible, like when you're stuck on the side of a busy highway, or when people are trying to locate you.

Three 'hits', either momentary or constant, and you've got a very useful lower-level task light, perfect for getting back behind the TV or under furniture.

Another feature I like is that the front and rear have subdued strike bezels. Mostly they offer a heat-escape if the light were to be left on while on its face, but they could also double as a sharp(er) strike surface. They are subdued enough that I'm thinking the TSA might pass 'em, but I haven't tested that theory.

The overall size of the light was ideal for me. It was large enough to use as an impact weapon, but small enough to fit in my pocket like a folding knife.

I liked the value price of $50.

It also has a very strong pocket clip, which is a big requirement with me.

I think you'll be very happy with your purchase. I look forward to hearing your impressions once you get some time with it. :yesway:

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I am a huge fan of my Nitecore and I don't see ditching it for something else, but rather adding a PD31 to the collection...Rhino style....

You need to hurry up and order one! I love my Nitecore, but would love a review of a comparison between the nitecore and the PD31.

I've been looking at the pd31, and not sure if I should buy it or not...

dave29

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Jul 8, 2009
    Lawrenceburg
    I wish I would have seen this thread earlier.

I just order a Polytac LED. Seemed like a good light with a good price. IIRC it is 120 lumens. Now I am second guessing my purchase in favor of a Streamlight PT2L.

Hmmm, hope I didn't mess up.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    I wish I would have seen this thread earlier.

I just order a Polytac LED.

I also have the PolyTac, but I use it as a weaponlight on my AR, in a VTAC mount.

It's a good light, but I wouldn't/couldn't carry it in my pocket daily. First, because its a bit large, with a larger head, to fit in a pocket. Second, because it doesn't have a pocket clip.

ISHOOTHST'S

Master
    Rating - 93.3%
    14   1   0
    Nov 14, 2009
    Iyaf
    Although it looks like you've already decided, I'll go ahead and give my :twocents:

My advice, based on your requirements and my own experience, would be a Streamlight PT2L. ;)

I've been carrying this as my non-work EDC for several weeks now and I like everything about it.

First, the light is BRIGHT. 180 lumens is adequate for self-defense situations, and for searching at close to intermediate distances.

Second, I really like how the modes work, especially if this would ever be used as a blinding/impact tool. All the 'switching' is done with your thumb on the button.

One 'hit', either momentary or constant, is your full-power light-- this is perfect as your first line, and what you'd use most often.

Two 'hits', either momentary or constant, is your strobe. I don't find strobe particularly useful for defense scenarios, but I still like that you can access it one-handed with just your thumb. I think strobe can come in handy during times when you WANT to be visible, like when you're stuck on the side of a busy highway, or when people are trying to locate you.

Three 'hits', either momentary or constant, and you've got a very useful lower-level task light, perfect for getting back behind the TV or under furniture.

Another feature I like is that the front and rear have subdued strike bezels. Mostly they offer a heat-escape if the light were to be left on while on its face, but they could also double as a sharp(er) strike surface. They are subdued enough that I'm thinking the TSA might pass 'em, but I haven't tested that theory.

The overall size of the light was ideal for me. It was large enough to use as an impact weapon, but small enough to fit in my pocket like a folding knife.

I think you'll be very happy with your purchase. I look forward to hearing your impressions once you get some time with it. :yesway:

Spot on as always. All what esrice has posted here is why I waited and purchased mine when they first hit retailers.

dave29

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Jul 8, 2009
    Lawrenceburg
    I also have the PolyTac, but I use it as a weaponlight on my AR, in a VTAC mount.

It's a good light, but I wouldn't/couldn't carry it in my pocket daily. First, because its a bit large, with a larger head, to fit in a pocket. Second, because it doesn't have a pocket clip.

I will probably just mount it on one of my AR's if it is too big then. Thanks for the response.

BSUrugger

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 97%
    32   1   0
    Feb 6, 2009
    Behind the reticle
    I bought a Nebo Redline at the last 1500 for $40. It's at the table with the big yellow banner. It's 220 lumens and can light up stuff at 150 yards. It has 5 modes, 100%, 75%, %50, SOS and strobe. It's way bad ass and runs on AAAs. For a little extra dough, you can get a nice pressure switch for mounting to firearms. Amazon also has Nebo Redlines for $25ish. I have had no problems with it at all. It will light up the night. Oh did I mention it's water resistant as well?

gohard43

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 16, 2010
    Northside Indy

Wow great lil write up! I did not know that about switching between modes! I really like that. I am even more excited to have this light! I will post up my thoughts and some pics (hopefully getting a new handgun here in the next week or two) to share! Thanks!

Top Bottom