Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    My 3 simple rules.

1. Keep right.

2. Use turn signals for lane changes.

3. Unless you are already in the right lane, if someone comes up behind you, move right and let them pass, regardless of speed limit.

Generally, I try to stay in the right lane. Since most people fail to follow my 3 simple rules and seem to like the middle and left lanes, I often do a lot of passing when I'm in the right lane. ;)

^^^^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^^^^^

I'm out of rep right now, so I'll get you later. Couldn't have said it better!!!

Hotdoger

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Boone County, In.
    Most interstates have a lower speed limit for trucks than those not towing trailers.

It's also often posted they are to stay in the right lanes.

If you are in the passing lane and NOT passing, you are breaking the law.

I'd probably call it in to the state police as a drunk driver and the employer.

I don't think any of those will have much affect on me.

If you are NOT passing, don't be a moron and GTFO of the passing lane.

Call all you want. You call my company and you will get me.;)

I will tell you just as I will tell the LEO: There would be a reson I was in the left lane. I am going to do what is in my best judgement as to what is the safest actions for me and my vehicle!
    Weather you or any one elses like it or not I don't give a crap.

I have over 1 million accident free, safe miles and the 911 moron callers can KMA!

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2011
    I don't worry about moving over for law breakers.
    Stay away from my 18 wheels and 80,000lbs.
    It may not end well for you!

Truck-in-Small-Car.jpg

Wise words, folks.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    -Snip-
    Don't drive alongside me (pass me and go on).
    -Snip-
    That goes for other truck drivers too!:xmad:
    Great to hear a trucker who doesn't pull in the left lane to pass, then runs alongside the vehicle they're passing for miles and causing a traffic jam.
    My hat's off to you.

96firephoenix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 15, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    I don't worry about moving over for law breakers.
    Stay away from my 18 wheels and 80,000lbs.
    It may not end well for you!

I usually do, but what about the ones that are veering all over the place, not moving over to go past an interchange when they have the room to do so and almost running cars off the road, speeding (75/65), cutting drivers off and/or changing lanes less than 10 feet behind the car ahead? Its kinda hard to stay away from the big-rigs when they suddenly decide they want to be in your lane and don't really wait for you to get out of the way.

for the record, I witnessed all of the above this morning on my drive from FW to Indy on I-69.

Also, when I was driving my firebird I had a semi start to make a lane change while I was passing it. that is kinda scary when you're looking over at the underside of the trailer :n00b:

Grizhicks

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    New Palestine
    "A" most of the time. BUT, when travelling with the travel trailer (30'), and there are 3 or more lanes, I will normally move the the middle or second lane. -- Greg

Hotdoger

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Boone County, In.
    I usually do, but what about the ones that are veering all over the place, not moving over to go past an interchange when they have the room to do so and almost running cars off the road, speeding (75/65), cutting drivers off and/or changing lanes less than 10 feet behind the car ahead? Its kinda hard to stay away from the big-rigs when they suddenly decide they want to be in your lane and don't really wait for you to get out of the way.

for the record, I witnessed all of the above this morning on my drive from FW to Indy on I-69.

Also, when I was driving my firebird I had a semi start to make a lane change while I was passing it. that is kinda scary when you're looking over at the underside of the trailer :n00b:

I have seen plenty of Firebird drivers do some crazy stuff over the years too.

Hotdoger

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Boone County, In.
    Great to hear a trucker who doesn't pull in the left lane to pass, then runs alongside the vehicle they're passing for miles and causing a traffic jam.
    My hat's off to you.

TKS!
    My truck is governed at well above the spped limit.

The ones that cause the traffic jams are the ones that are govenered well below the speed limit.

I am considered a hinderance to many though because I drive below the speed limit on the interstate. To me it is all about MPG and at 62 I get the best MPG.

schafe

Master
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Monroe Co.
    I voted "A" Thats just the way I drive....speed varies according to conditions and traffic, but usually no more than 5mph. over the limit.
    Oh yeah, I cut the "blue hairs" some slack... they drive slow, but that's okay. Relax and enjoy the drive...we'll all be there someday.

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    I was spoiled by 4 years of driving a big Mercedes sedan in Germany. On the autobahn when driving at speeds well in excess of 100 mph you have to be polite, especially when it come to those driving faster than you. US drivers are among the rudest anywhere in the world today with truckers and commercial bus drivers being the worst. I always try to stay right or middle except when passing.

spec4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    NWI
    My pet peeve is the goof in the left lane going 55, on his or her cell phone, with a line of cars behind him, passing when they get the chance. This should be punishable by at least 20 years in prison.

2ADMNLOVER

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    West side Indy
    3 Lanes-- Left or middle , mostly left cause I'm passing the folks that think they have to drive under the limit .

2 Lanes-- Left again , see above .

Turn signals and mirrors , they 're NOT ornaments , USE THEM . Preferably a few seconds BEFORE you change lanes .

Biggest driving pet peeve , MUTHASONOFAOMGWTFBBQ SEMI'S !!!!!!!!!

I absolutely ABHOR the IDIOT truck drivers that take 5 miles to pass another truck just so they can drive TWO FREAKEN MILES FASTER than the other guy .

If I had my way , each time a semi driver was caught in the "fast" lane , he'd have a toe cut off of his driving foot .

spec4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    NWI
    3 Lanes-- Left or middle , mostly left cause I'm passing the folks that think they have to drive under the limit .

2 Lanes-- Left again , see above .

Turn signals and mirrors , they 're NOT ornaments , USE THEM . Preferably a few seconds BEFORE you change lanes .

Biggest driving pet peeve , MUTHASONOFAOMGWTFBBQ SEMI'S !!!!!!!!!

I absolutely ABHOR the IDIOT truck drivers that take 5 miles to pass another truck just so they can drive TWO FREAKEN MILES FASTER than the other guy .

If I had my way , each time a semi driver was caught in the "fast" lane , he'd have a toe cut off of his driving foot .

In my world, the semis would be restricted from passing other semis when there are any cars around. They sometimes take 2 miles or more to complete the pass. Also, a quick way to spot a poor driver is when they are in front of you, hit their brakes, apparently for no reason, then at the last minute, they decide to turn on their directional signal. Clear sign of a poor driver.

Mike_Indy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I stay to the right if the road is open and I'm not in an on-ramp area. Seems less likely to get tagged if I'm over the limit. In traffic, I go left to pass as needed, sometimes stay there if I am above the pace of the right. I'm not passed that often. But in the event someone is coming up on me, I move over and let them run point for me. :-)

I despise drivers that park in the left and do not move over when it is clearly possible.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    TKS!
    My truck is governed at well above the spped limit.

The ones that cause the traffic jams are the ones that are govenered well below the speed limit.

I am considered a hinderance to many though because I drive below the speed limit on the interstate. To me it is all about MPG and at 62 I get the best MPG.

I know that many trucks are governed, I used to drive dump trucks that were, and I knew how fast they would go.

This being said, I've never understood why anybody driving a governed truck would pull out into the passing lane, KNOWING it's gonna take them miles to pass somebody, and having NO consideration for the traffic jam they're causing.
    I NEVER once did that.

Top Bottom