• Total voters
    • Poll closed .

91FXRS

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2011
    NWI
    I use right lane to enter and exit, then straight to the left lane as I tend to drive faster than most and I always move to the middle when someone driving faster comes up from behind. So I guess I would say A.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I use right lane to enter and exit, then straight to the left lane as I tend to drive faster than most and I always move to the middle when someone driving faster comes up from behind. So I guess I would say A.

RIGHT ON! Finally, somebody who knows how to drive on an Interstate highway, ACTUALLY has consideration for others, OBVIOUSLY understands the dangers of traffic jams, and doesn't try to be a one man traffic cop.

I would add that even the POLICE will pull off and let traffic pass when they realize their presence on an Interstate is causing traffic to back up.
    i.e. It's SAFER to have traffic spread out and exceeding the speed limit, than to be bunched up bumper to bumper doing the speed limit.

Last edited:

goinggreyfast

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 21, 2010
    Morgan County
    I usually do, but what about the ones that are veering all over the place, not moving over to go past an interchange when they have the room to do so and almost running cars off the road, speeding (75/65), cutting drivers off and/or changing lanes less than 10 feet behind the car ahead? Its kinda hard to stay away from the big-rigs when they suddenly decide they want to be in your lane and don't really wait for you to get out of the way.

for the record, I witnessed all of the above this morning on my drive from FW to Indy on I-69.

Also, when I was driving my firebird I had a semi start to make a lane change while I was passing it. that is kinda scary when you're looking over at the underside of the trailer :n00b:

Had that happen to me on WB 70 between Indy & Terre Haute. He ran me off into the median! When I did pass him, he laid on his air horn, flipped me off, and went back to dialing his cell phone--all with the same hand! So I slowed down got the number, and called Corporate. Based on my conversation, he's among the unemployed now. Sorry Pal! Don't be an A$$ next time.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Call all you want. You call my company and you will get me.;)

I will tell you just as I will tell the LEO: There would be a reson I was in the left lane. I am going to do what is in my best judgement as to what is the safest actions for me and my vehicle!
    Weather you or any one elses like it or not I don't give a crap.

I have over 1 million accident free, safe miles and the 911 moron callers can KMA!

Weather it's cold or weather it's hot
    You'll be beside the road
    explaining to a cop. You can kiss his.

If you are NOT passing some one GTFO of the passing lane moron.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008

NWI, HA!

Just admit it, pure blood Chicago IL through and through.

Yer so special, the driving regulations and customs weren't meant for royalty.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    Wellll, Ladies and Gentlemen, THAT was an interesting exercise in voicing one's strongly held opinions... I'm glad that I was able to facilitate everyone's blood pressure issues. As for the Haters -- wow! you all are an angry bunch...

Thankfully, the poll so far shows most people give a damn when it comes to getting along on road. It also shows that I was wrong, MOST people (at least amongst the gun toting crowd) know the expression "Keep right except to pass". I get it that it's not always the safest to stay right (ya, I have that deer jumping out at me in the night phobia too)..

What I didn't see (please correct me if I missed it) was one of you posting up the Indiana Code on the matter, or an LEO giving their read on it?

Anybody got any more?

Hotdoger

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Boone County, In.
    Weather it's cold or weather it's hot
    You'll be beside the road
    explaining to a cop. You can kiss his.

If you are NOT passing some one GTFO of the passing lane moron.

No problem!

I will make sure to give the cop your plate number and tell him how you were speeding and driving dangerously , tailgating and might let him view or even email him the dashboard cam video of your wrecklessness.

For saftey reasons sometimes I move to the left lane.

I could give a rats behind if it impedes your ability to break the law.

Eat your crap sandwich and shut up!

cbseniour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 8, 2011
    South East Marion County
    I'm thinking of interstate roads, I'll usually stay in the middle or left lane as much as I can to avoid the people merging into traffic. Many of them don't seem to realize that merging safely is their resonsibility they just move over into your lane and you either move over too or hit them.
    I will also move over to let anyone pass who comes up behind.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    No problem!

I will make sure to give the cop your plate number and tell him how you were speeding and driving dangerously , tailgating and might let him view or even email him the dashboard cam video of your wrecklessness.

For saftey reasons sometimes I move to the left lane.

I could give a rats behind if it impedes your ability to break the law.

Eat your crap sandwich and shut up!

I'll be the guy in the Volvo who's not sitting beside the road losing money trying to convince the cops he broke the law for safety sake. ROTFL:rockwoot:Just presume that's the appropriate sign language for howdy in your region.

The SAFE thing to do in traffic IS WHAT YOU ARE SUPPOSE TO DO, WHAT THE LAW SAYS TO DO AND WHAT EVERY ONE IN THE UNITED STATES EXPECTS EVERY ONE ELSE TO DO...

That is to pass in the passing lane and follow the posted traffic signs. Keep right unless passing. Translated for morons, if you are NOT passing GTFO of the passing lane.

bigus_D

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Country Side
    WHAT LAW is one breaking if driving in the left lane without passing? I don't believe such a law exists in Indiana and would enjoy reading it. Moron.

joslar15

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Bloomington
    IC 9-21-8-2
    Roadways; use of right half; exceptions; traveling at reduced speeds
    Sec. 2. (a) Upon all roadways of sufficient width, a vehicle shall be driven upon the right half of the roadway except as follows:
    (1) When overtaking and passing another vehicle proceeding in the same direction under the rules governing overtaking and passing.
    (2) When the right half of a roadway is closed to traffic under construction or repair.
    (3) Upon a roadway divided into three (3) marked lanes for traffic under the rules applicable to a roadway divided into three (3) marked lanes.
    (4) Upon a roadway designated and signposted for one-way traffic.
    (b) Upon all roadways, a vehicle proceeding at less than the normal speed of traffic at the time and place under the conditions then existing shall be driven:
    (1) in the right-hand lane then available for traffic; or
    (2) as close as practicable to the right-hand curb or edge of the
    roadway;
    except when overtaking and passing another vehicle proceeding in the same direction or when preparing for a left turn at an intersection or into a private road or driveway.
    As added by P.L.2-1991, SEC.9.

r4-3.gif

Hotdoger

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Boone County, In.
    I'll be the guy in the Volvo who's not sitting beside the road losing money trying to convince the cops he broke the law for safety sake. ROTFL:rockwoot:Just presume that's the appropriate sign language for howdy in your region.

The SAFE thing to do in traffic IS WHAT YOU ARE SUPPOSE TO DO, WHAT THE LAW SAYS TO DO AND WHAT EVERY ONE IN THE UNITED STATES EXPECTS EVERY ONE ELSE TO DO...

That is to pass in the passing lane and follow the posted traffic signs. Keep right unless passing. Translated for morons, if you are NOT passing GTFO of the passing lane.

Indiana has a move over law ,genius:

IC 9-21-8-35
    Emergency vehicles; yield of right-of-way
    Sec. 35. (a) Upon the immediate approach of an authorized emergency vehicle, when the person who drives the authorized emergency vehicle is giving audible signal by siren or displaying alternately flashing red, red and white, or red and blue lights, a person who drives another vehicle shall do the following unless otherwise directed by a law enforcement officer:
    (1) Yield the right-of-way.
    (2) Immediately drive to a position parallel to and as close as possible to the right-hand edge or curb of the highway clear of any intersection.
    (3) Stop and remain in the position until the authorized emergency vehicle has passed.
    (b) Upon approaching a stationary authorized emergency vehicle, when the authorized emergency vehicle is giving a signal by displaying alternately flashing red, red and white, or red and blue lights, a person who drives an approaching vehicle shall:
    (1) proceeding with due caution, yield the right-of-way by making a lane change into a lane not adjacent to that of the authorized emergency vehicle, if possible with due regard to safety and traffic conditions, if on a highway having at least four (4) lanes with not less than two (2) lanes proceeding in the same direction as the approaching vehicle; or
    (2) proceeding with due caution, reduce the speed of the vehicle, maintaining a safe speed for road conditions, if changing lanes would be impossible or unsafe.
    (c) Upon approaching a stationary recovery vehicle or a stationary highway maintenance vehicle, when the vehicle is giving a signal by displaying alternately flashing amber lights, a person who drives an approaching vehicle shall:
    (1) proceeding with due caution, yield the right-of-way by making a lane change into a lane not adjacent to that of the recovery vehicle or highway maintenance vehicle, if possible with due regard to safety and traffic conditions, if on a highway having at least four (4) lanes with not less than two (2) lanes proceeding in the same direction as the approaching vehicle; or
    (2) proceeding with due caution, reduce the speed of the vehicle, maintaining a safe speed for road conditions, if changing lanes would be impossible or unsafe.
    (d) This section does not operate to relieve the person who drives an authorized emergency vehicle, a recovery vehicle, or a highway maintenance vehicle from the duty to operate the vehicle with due regard for the safety of all persons using the highway.
    As added by P.L.2-1991, SEC.9. Amended by P.L.18-1999, SEC.1; P.L.39-2000, SEC.7; P.L.1-2001, SEC.6.

bigus_D

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Country Side
    That code DOES NOT say the left lane is for passing only. It does say that you must drive in the right lane if going less than the normal speed of traffic. It doesn't even say you must get out of the way of a speeder going faster than the normal speed of traffic.

But maybe a professional will explain it to me on the side of the road someday... LOL

parsimonious

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    SE IN
    I want to stay right.

Ever since the semi's are allowed to do 65*[ 70 plus] it's become a
    free for all. I'm typically between 65 and 70, and I've had vehicles of
    every size pass me like I'm standing still, on either side.

I really want to follow the rules of the road, but these days you just need
    to watch out for the phone users, breakfast eaters, makeup putter oners,
    and READERS! I SAW A DUDE READING THE DANG MORNING PAPER
    ON HIS WAY TO WORK!:xmad:

*at least in Ohio[ I live on the border.]

jfed85

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 16, 2008
    I drive in the left lane a lot, but Im usually driving faster than everyone else. I think if your going slower than the guy coming up behind you, you move it over.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    That code DOES NOT say the left lane is for passing only. It does say that you must drive in the right lane if going less than the normal speed of traffic. It doesn't even say you must get out of the way of a speeder going faster than the normal speed of traffic.

But maybe a professional will explain it to me on the side of the road someday... LOL

But from a common sense standpoint, why would anybody intentionally obstruct traffic so it all backs up bumper to bumper in all lanes?
    ESPECIALLY when many who are following the speed limit and totally INNOCENT get stuck in it too. ( I know I have)

All it would take is for somebody to blow a tire, or a semi throw a tread or somebody to have a major mechanical failure to cause a major pile up where MANY people will be injured or killed.

I've been stuck in jams like this (it's ESPECIALLY an adventure on a motorcycle), all caused by ONE person who when there is a pile up will drive away scott free knowing they killed and injured many people.

It's beyond my comprehension how anybody can be such a reckless *sshole to do this, ESPECIALLY when even the police will pull off to avoid creating large traffic jams like this.

Top Bottom