• d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    I keep my 1 credit card and my debit card locked at all times. Unlock it, make a purchase, then re lock it once purchase complete. Kind of a pain but nobody is gonna be able to use it

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Hackers dont need your physical LOCKED card.
    The moment you use it that is when it's most vunerable.
    So physically locking it is false safety.

Also dont use a debit card. Way to risky!

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I keep my 1 credit card and my debit card locked at all times. Unlock it, make a purchase, then re lock it once purchase complete. Kind of a pain but nobody is gonna be able to use it

Thats not as big a safeguard as you think. Roughly 4 months ago, we had a guy hack into the CC company, unlock the card, change the billing address, and place an order. Cost me 800 bucks.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Make sure you turn on ALL notifications on the cc.
    You can get a notification each time you log into account, change password, change mailing address, etc...

This way the second someone, not u, does anything with it you k how and the race is on.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Hackers dont need your physical LOCKED card.
    The moment you use it that is when it's most vunerable.
    So physically locking it is false safety.

Also dont use a debit card. Way to risky!

I actually never use my debit card online. It's more for emergencies than anything. Local purchases are all with cash.
    As far as credit card purchases I try to go thru PayPal as it adds an extra layer of security to dispute unauthorized purchases, unfortunately some places I shop don't use PayPal.
    I don't think there's any 100% safe way to buy online anymore

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Dont use debit card at all anywhere. It's not safe online or at physical store. Good example is target's 2018 holiday hack. All those people that used debit cards, my sister, had those numbers stolen and re-used. She got hit for $100 and chase did NOT refund her that money. :facepalm:

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    All credit cards now a days have purchase notification ability.
    Meaning as soon as a cc is used (ie. A purchase, a hotel doing a temp hold, etc) you get either an email notification, text message notification, phone call.

So in the event of the above if the hacker uses your info to buy say a hello kitty plush at Macy's you will know it was me. :p

FIFY... ;)

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I've had my debit card hacked a few times. It was relatively painless (other than the obvious hassle of getting a new one). It's through my credit union and now they can issue me a new card right on the spot as soon as I report it at one of the branches. Money has always been back in my account within 2 or 3 days after reporting it.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Explain to me why one would use a debit card instead of credit card? I have never used one. What am I missing?

My SIL, a banker and auditor with the FDIC says I should never use one.

Restroyer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2015
    SE Indiana
    I never use a debit card. Just asking for trouble in my opinion. However, I use credit cards to pay for everything I can. Even utility bills because we have the cash back cards and we only put on the credit cards what we can afford. Pay them off every month and we get hit with no interest for not having a balance. Then we get cash back. You'd be surprised the large amount of cash back you get for putting every day expenses on them.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Explain to me why one would use a debit card instead of credit card? I have never used one. What am I missing?

My SIL, a banker and auditor with the FDIC says I should never use one.

Some people can NOT get a credit card due to very bad credit.
    These people had no way of doing online purchases or renting a hotel room, car. As such the banking industry provided an way for them to do this type of transactions via the debit card. The catch as we all know if the direct link to your money.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I never use a debit card. Just asking for trouble in my opinion. However, I use credit cards to pay for everything I can. Even utility bills because we have the cash back cards and we only put on the credit cards what we can afford. Pay them off every month and we get hit with no interest for not having a balance. Then we get cash back. You'd be surprised the large amount of cash back you get for putting every day expenses on them.

Us too. We take annual trips to CA to visit my son and his family with cash back.

Some people can NOT get a credit card due to very bad credit.
    These people had no way of doing online purchases or renting a hotel room, car. As such the banking industry provided an way for them to do this type of transactions via the debit card. The catch as we all know if the direct link to your money.

Ah, I see. I can understand that. Thanks!

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    My daughter just had her credit card hacked. Sent a text complaining about it. Some joker in Virginia bought tickets for an event coming up in a few months.

I jokingly said that she did it while sleeping.

Five minutes later she is on the phone with the credit card company getting ready for the dispute when she remembers SHE bought tickets for an upcoming event.

She asked to be transferred to a Spanish speaker and hung up while they were in process.

Nothing to do with the OP, but I found it humorous.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    So for those of you in the know, is $349 for a Smith 642 no lock version about the best price I can expect to find? I've been looking and I haven't seen a lower price yet.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GlockFrenzy
    Top Bottom