• jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    See post #35 ;)

That's what I hate about catching up with older threads. Sometimes I miss stuff.

Every time someone says they’re too fat for AIWB, I feel skinnier. :)

I'm not saying the weight is the problem, per se. Maybe you're shaped differently. I'm saying that dealing with the hangover makes it a deal breaker for me. It's not important enough to change how I wear my pants.

When you heat a polymer sufficiently (and many other substances), the surface will undergo pyrolysis, releasing easily combustible components in gaseous form. The flames are burning gases. It's pretty much how plastics burn in an open flame, but it looks a little different.

I'd like to see the microwave test done on a steel frame gun.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I'm not saying the weight is the problem, per se. Maybe you're shaped differently. I'm saying that dealing with the hangover makes it a deal breaker for me. It's not important enough to change how I wear my pants.

Ah, that's a pants fit issue more than a how you carry issue. Pants that fit properly will make virtually every type of carry more comfortable and secure.

I'd like to see the microwave test done on a steel frame gun.

That could get exiting. I've seen a wad of aluminum foil in a microwave. Lots of arcing and sparks.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Ah, that's a pants fit issue more than a how you carry issue. Pants that fit properly will make virtually every type of carry more comfortable and secure.

I likes me pants to fit the way I likes 'em. Trying out AIWB isn't important enough to change it when other methods work fine.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Neglidental Discharge? :dunno:

Accident- unintentional, sudden, surprise

Negligence- unintentional due to failure to take reasonable care

See how most (if not all) negligence is accidental, but you can have accidents without negligence?

Accident is the opposite of intentional, not negligent.

Negligent is the opposite of non-negligent or careful

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Accident- unintentional, sudden, surprise

Negligence- unintentional due to failure to take reasonable care

See how most (if not all) negligence is accidental, but you can have accidents without negligence?

Accident is the opposite of intentional, not negligent.

Negligent is the opposite of non-negligent or careful

So if some clothing gets caught up while holstering, and the trigger is actuated, it's certainly unintentional. If the standard of care was *appropriate* care, that would seem axiomatic. So in this scenario, is it reasonable care in all circumstances? For training and practice, I think I'd say so. But I suppose there may be some possible conditions which make it not unreasonable, not to have used appropriate care. Maybe under duress, for example.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    So if some clothing gets caught up while holstering, and the trigger is actuated, it's certainly unintentional. If the standard of care was *appropriate* care, that would seem axiomatic. So in this scenario, is it reasonable care in all circumstances? For training and practice, I think I'd say so. But I suppose there may be some possible conditions which make it not unreasonable, not to have used appropriate care. Maybe under duress, for example.

I don't disagree, but keep in mind that the full definition of negligence is: "the failure to exercise the level of care a reasonably prudent person would in the same of similar circumstances."

"the same or similar circumstances" covers a lot of ground. Being under duress, for instance, is a circumstance that has to be taken into account when deciding whether a person acted reasonably.

I person who, for instance, is being shot at by an attacker may "get away with" being a little less careful than someone shooting casually on the range- the circumstances are completely different and what is reasonable when you are under fire my not be reasonable when you have all the time in the world to think through steps.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I don't disagree, but keep in mind that the full definition of negligence is: "the failure to exercise the level of care a reasonably prudent person would in the same of similar circumstances."

"the same or similar circumstances" covers a lot of ground. Being under duress, for instance, is a circumstance that has to be taken into account when deciding whether a person acted reasonably.

I person who, for instance, is being shot at by an attacker may "get away with" being a little less careful than someone shooting casually on the range- the circumstances are completely different and what is reasonable when you are under fire my not be reasonable when you have all the time in the world to think through steps.

Something I've gotten out of this conversation, it helps me decide which side of "Every unintended discharge that isn't due to a faulty firearm is an ND" I'm going with. I've kinda left it open until now. So now, I think, if you're going to say "Negligent" then you need to mean what negligent means, and that doesn't always mean human failure has to be negligent.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I haven't checked this thread in awhile.

Just making sure someone mentioned:
    - AWIB is inherently dangerous.
    - Striker fired guns are inherently dangerous.
    - Ingestion of small amounts of saliva over long periods of time is inherently dangerous.

I just feel an obligation to make sure these things are mentioned on every page.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Uh. What's it pay? :dunno:

$40 a day PLUS MILEAGE and the warm feeling of satisfaction in knowing that you are doing justice. I mean, I wouldn't work for that, but c'mon.

Now, to actually address the appendix carry dealio....because lord knows it hasn't been talked about enough.

Is appendix carry probably "more dangerous" than strong side? Probably. Does that mean you never do it? No, it doesn't mean that. Some things that are comparatively more dangerous you still do if you perceive good reasons to do it and you prepare (and train) to make it as safe as possible. I mean, I wouldn't do it, but it's fine for those who can't reach around their paunch to their strong side.

Is a striker fired piston with no external safety "more dangerous" than a gun with an external safety or a double action? Probably. Does that mean you never do it? No, it doesn't mean that. Some things that are comparatively more dangerous you still do if you perceive good reasons to do it and you prepare (and train) to make it as safe as possible (sounds familiar). If you like having a trigger dingle, hey, it's 2018.

...but let's face facts here, something went wrong for this guy and he took a bullet to an area that can kill you. I'm guessing that he got a little casual and that this is the root of the problem.

Top Bottom