• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • three50seven

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jun 6, 2011
    Miami County
    Went out this morning. I'm new to turkey hunting and haven't invested a lot into it. I had my old Mossberg 500 with Primos ext. turkey choke, and Winchester XX 3" #6 shot. We had one gobbling on the roost as soon as we sat down, but couldn't coax him our way. Definitely going to keep after him, I can see this becoming very addictive!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    I haven't turkey hunted yet. Is it generally a walk-stop-listen thing like squirrel hunting is for me, or is it more about planting yourself in a stand and waiting like deer?

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    I haven't turkey hunted yet. Is it generally a walk-stop-listen thing like squirrel hunting is for me, or is it more about planting yourself in a stand and waiting like deer?
    The answer to that depends...

If you hunt public ground, or, have access to huge parcels of private ground, it can indeed be a "run and gun" approach. Shock call or yelp on a box call to reach out and if you get a response, hustle towards it and set up and try to coax him into range.

For most of us, we hunt much smaller parcels of land, and we scout and know where the birds are-ish. We set up near where we know or think they`re roosting and call. Sets can be at first light at fly down, and then any time if morning after that. But we typically call until we feel we`ve been heard by anything close, and if nothing comes in within a couple hours, we`ll move and set up at another spot.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    The answer to that depends...

If you hunt public ground, or, have access to huge parcels of private ground, it can indeed be a "run and gun" approach. Shock call or yelp on a box call to reach out and if you get a response, hustle towards it and set up and try to coax him into range.

For most of us, we hunt much smaller parcels of land, and we scout and know where the birds are-ish. We set up near where we know or think they`re roosting and call. Sets can be at first light at fly down, and then any time if morning after that. But we typically call until we feel we`ve been heard by anything close, and if nothing comes in within a couple hours, we`ll move and set up at another spot.
    Interesting, thanks for the response. Probably not in a position to try this year, but I'm interested in something a step up from squirrels that doesn't have the infrastructure requirement of deer. Some good looking birds in this thread. :yesway:

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    Interesting, thanks for the response. Probably not in a position to try this year, but I'm interested in something a step up from squirrels that doesn't have the infrastructure requirement of deer. Some good looking birds in this thread. :yesway:
    I`m hopelessly addicted to deer hunting. But, that being said, turkey hunting has really grown on me. I haven`t kept track of how many turkeys I`ve killed, maybe like 6 or 8? But it`s so great to be in the woods in the spring, gun in hand. I don`t have to worry about being scent-free, which is a stressor during deer season. And what a rush! I had a fantastic hunt last year, last day of season. I didn`t kill a bird, but we had 2 huge tom`s in front of us, and after they left, 6 jakes came in. I didn`t have a shot at any of them, because I`d have gladly taken even one of the jakes. But what a rush! And not to mention, fried wild turkey breast is fantastic!

sugarcreekbrass

Expert
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 29, 2015
    West central
    I got lucky this afternoon. The tom and hen was already in field a little after 4:00. I parked out of sight and made a stalk through the woods. I used my fan for my decoy to crawl close to the field because it was really open. I sat down, flashed the fan, and made one call. He turned and ran right in. Only 23.5#, but had 34mm spurs and 11" beard. He was a fighter. In spur tip was broke and looked like he had a small wound at the bottom of the breast. I love deer hunting, but I really love turkey season. Since we have a one bird limit, I am quick to volunteer to call for someone else. Between family and friends I usually find someone to go with or take out. Since 2004, I have shot, or called in for someone else, 30 birds. I get just as excited when someone else is pulling the trigger.

20210423_181342.jpg

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Had a long beard sneak in on us this morning about an hour after daybreak. He hung up around 60yds for awhile, gobbled a few times then started to go past the decoys when my hunting partner sent an arrow and made a kill shot at 40yds. He flew a couple hundred yards and crashed in the woods. Took about half an hour to find him. My best friend’s first arrow launched and first kill on his property since buying it last July.

Today is a good day. Tomorrow I’m up to bat.

Last edited:

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    I got lucky this afternoon. The tom and hen was already in field a little after 4:00. I parked out of sight and made a stalk through the woods. I used my fan for my decoy to crawl close to the field because it was really open. I sat down, flashed the fan, and made one call. He turned and ran right in. Only 23.5#, but had 34mm spurs and 11" beard. He was a fighter. In spur tip was broke and looked like he had a small wound at the bottom of the breast. I love deer hunting, but I really love turkey season. Since we have a one bird limit, I am quick to volunteer to call for someone else. Between family and friends I usually find someone to go with or take out. Since 2004, I have shot, or called in for someone else, 30 birds. I get just as excited when someone else is pulling the trigger.

View attachment 136949
    Awesome! Congratulations!

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    Had a long beard sneak in on us this morning about an hour after daybreak. He hung up around 60yds for awhile, gobbled a few times then started to go past the decoys when my hunting partner sent an arrow and made a kill shot at 40yds. He flew a couple hundred yards and crashed in the woods. Took about half amour to find him. My best friend’s first arrow launched and first kill on his property since buying it last July.

Outstanding. Good luck buddy!

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009

View attachment 136949

Nice bird!

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Had a long beard sneak in on us this morning about an hour after daybreak. He hung up around 60yds for awhile, gobbled a few times then started to go past the decoys when my hunting partner sent an arrow and made a kill shot at 40yds. He flew a couple hundred yards and crashed in the woods. Took about half amour to find him. My best friend’s first arrow launched and first kill on his property since buying it last July.

I was going to ask how you guys were doing, today was the first bird I've heard and worked.

Top Bottom