Come on now...

this-is-sewious-39285677.png

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    Option one, I hang around and tell the police what I saw, but I'm sure the video will be a better witness than me.
    Option two, I can try to defuse the situation, but crazy doesn't defuse very easily, and there is a firearm involved.
    Option three, I go get burgers someplace else.

I took option three, but what would someone else do?

I cant answer without more details.

Where was you staying to get burgers?

Where was you going to go elsewhere to get burgers?

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    You did exactly what you should have done.

It seems that you not only want validation, but believe that your actions are what should constrain the rest of us.

MarkC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2016
    Mooresville
    Years and years and years of being a law enforcement officer has taught me to listen to the stupidest or most incredible things that could be said, keep a straight but outwardly respectful face, and respond with a noncommittal answer, often along the lines of "that's interesting, I don't know."

Now, with all my training and education in my retirement job, I can say, with great authority, "it depends." :):

Did someone mention getting burgers? I could stand to get a burger. Seems like no one has made my sammich for me yet. :):

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Years and years and years of being a law enforcement officer has taught me to listen to the stupidest or most incredible things that could be said, keep a straight but outwardly respectful face, and respond with a noncommittal answer, often along the lines of "that's interesting, I don't know."

Now, with all my training and education in my retirement job, I can say, with great authority, "it depends." :):

Did someone mention getting burgers? I could stand to get a burger. Seems like no one has made my sammich for me yet. :):

As soon as I get my new teeth. Its on. Burgers are on me.

JeepHammer

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2018
    SW Indiana
    Minimum necessary force in all aspects of life is a good montra.

In civilian life, I was always taught that manners were the grease that reduces friction.
    I try not to burn the bridge, but it gets closed once in a while...

You did exactly what you should have done.
    It seems that you not only want validation, but believe that your actions are what should constrain the rest of us.

I did what was best for me & the wife, just wondering how others would have handled it.
    As for 'Validation', I sleep fine at night, and the wife still feeds me, that's all the validation I need.

As for 'Constraint'...
    That's another thing entirely.
    Since the guys replying are the same bunch that admit to road rage, 'Rolling Coal', then rant & rave about how disrespectful EVERYONE ELSE (and their dogs!) are and how everyone else SHOULDN'T do those very things to them...

You get what you give, be polite at the very least, or YOU become part of the problem.
    When you are polite or at least controlled, you ARE NOT part of the problem.
    It's REAL simple, and I think even the most popular religion books try to teach that very idea/ideal.

The other thing about ranting arguments and civilian incidental violence,
    It's a deflection from something.
    Either the person isn't educated enough to carry on a rational conversation,
    Or they use aggression to cover inadequacy/mistake.
    Smoke & mirrors.

The lack of constraint on both sides created this situation, and every road rage incident, every domestic abuse case, etc.
    You either take it as a lesson, or you learn everything the hard way.

-------------

I'm not law enforcement, and I'm not a judge/jury.

Since soccer moms called police, and since Mr. Melted down, foul mouthed open carry didn't reach for his firearm,
    The women started it with someone just as idiotic as they were,
    He was dumb enough to argue rather than simply put the firearm in his pocket instead of letting it flop around at face level for children, which triggered the soccer moms in the first place, and he wasn't about to correct/defuse the situation in the slightest...

I'm no judge, both sides have an absloute right to be as stupid as they want to be.

Keep in mind I wasn't picking sides, both were entirely too stupid for me to side with,
    The women started it, he escalated it, neither side approached it like adults, and children will be children, no matter what the age...

I don't need 'Approval', I'm a full grown man, and the red faced name calling match with 6th grade posturing didn't interest me in the least other than there was a firearm involved around kids.

Last edited:

Wstar425

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2018
    Sandia Park, New Mexico
    I’ll try a serious answer, what the hey. Been OC for 8 plus years, modified my responses over that time, but basically I’ve gotten three questions, besides the are you a cop?

1. Can I ask you a question?
    A. You just did.

2. Why do you carry a gun/firearm?
    A. I believe I’m responsible for my own safety.

3. Do you really NEED to carry a gun/firearm around here/this little town/name of place.
    A. I CERTAINLY hope not.

Initially, I keep my answers short and sweet. Kinda make them pry for intel. Try to get a feel for where it’s going, plus I think it makes them think this guy has thought this through, at least I hope anyhow. After that, I either open up or leave. I actually enjoy talking to people, and if I can be a good ambassador for firearms and in particular open carry, I see that as a win. What I won’t do is hang around and be berated, but that hasn’t really happened much.

I’ve had 7 negative reactions including 911 called on me, hundreds if not thousands of positive or neutral conversations. If I can’t be the calmest person in the room, time to leave. No need for me to get mad or loud, I’m not doing anything wrong. I’m not out to change your mind or convince you of anything, if you hadn’t talked to me, I probably would have been gone by now. I’m NEVER the first one in any conversation to mention a firearm.

Depending on how the conversation goes, I might hang around and talk, if you can have a civil discussion but disagree, I have no problems with that.

I didn’t quite understand the OP mixing conversations about open carry and which gun to buy, seems like two distinct different conversations. Maybe I need to go reread first post. If you asked me what gun to buy, I’d first have to ask you about 50 questions. Who’s shooting it, where, gonna carry, how much you want to spend? etc.

Last edited:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I’ll try a serious answer, what the hey. Been OC for 8 plus years, modified my responses over that time, but basically I’ve gotten three questions, besides the are you a cop?

A. You just did.

3. Do you really NEED to carry a gun/firearm around here/this little town/name of place.
    A. I CERTAINLY hope not.

Initially, I keep my answers short and sweet. Kinda make them pry for intel. Try to get a feel for where it’s going, plus I think it makes them think this guy has thought this through, at least I hope anyhow. After that, I either open up or leave. I actually enjoy talking to people, and if I can be a good ambassador for firearms and in particular open carry, I see that as a win. What I won’t do is hang around and be berated, but that hasn’t really happened much.

I’ve had 7 negative reactions including 911 called on me, hundreds if not thousands of positive or neutral conversations. If I can’t be the calmest person in the room, time to leave. No need for me to get mad or loud, I’m not doing anything wrong. I’m not out to change your mind or convince you of anything, if you hadn’t talked to me, I probably would have been gone by now. I’m NEVER the first one in any conversation to mention a firearm.

Depending on how the conversation goes, I might hang around and talk, if you can have a civil discussion but disagree, I have no problems with that.

I didn’t quite understand the OP mixing conversations about open carry and which gun to buy, seems like two distinct different conversations. Maybe I need to go reread first post. If you asked me what gun to buy, I’d first have to ask you about 50 questions. Who’s shooting it, where, gonna carry, how much you want to spend? etc.

+10

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    When people ask questions, how do you answer?
    Not only the answer, but how you act as you answer?

I watched a full volume screaming crap fight between a guy open carrying and a couple soccer moms in a fast food restaurant this weekend, and it was so stupid I can't even express it.
    The soccer moms had kids with them, they got triggered, and the guy carrying triggered about 10 seconds later.

Now I know the argument about open carry, and concealed carry...
    Without getting into that argument, you simply don't have these issues when you conceal.

Since the argument/screaming match happened in line in front of me, I simply left when the soccer moms called police.

----------

The absloute newbie asking what firearm ("gun") would YOU buy?

Even through I've been asked a 1,000 times, the demeanor is rehearsed... I'll admit that.
    With the current crop of rabid, militant anti-gunners, *I Think* (personally) demeanor is important,
    You just never know when it's a troll or ligitimate question...
    SO...

I step back slightly, look deep in thought, take my time to answer...
    Even though the answer is obvious, I *Try* to look like I'm in respectful thought.
    When I speak, it's calmly and clearly.

I *Attempt* to correct the term 'Gun' for 'Firearm', and I usually emphasize EDUCATION.
    I emphasize the responsibility of owning a firearm.
    I tell them a firearms safety class will usually give them the option of firing several types and making a selection based on what fits them best.
    I recommend they start with something simple that runs (emphasis on 'RUNS'), and something that is smaller caliber/cheaper to shoot so they go learn how to hit a target.

----------------

Since I actually conceal carry in town, I rarely get into the emotional, screaming confrontations.
    When I'm somewhere the subject comes up, I stay as rational & calm as possible, since every militant anti-gunner is reacting on an emotional level, I *Try* to calm things down so the rational part of the brain starts to work in them.

Sometimes it works, other times it doesn't and you simply waste breath...
    It's not the first time, it won't be the last time unless I drop dead today, so it's no big deal.
    I at least tried, and the added benefit is anyone watching (and the militants always want an audience) sees a firearms owner as a calm, rational person under attack, while the screaming militant looks/acts like a lunatic off their meds. (Which always makes me smile when I'm away from the situation)

Don't get me wrong, I can get quite worked up, we all can...
    I'm just not about to do it while I'm carrying a firearm, even with a permit.
    The LAST thing I want is police showing up to TWO screaming people, one is a ARMED man, guess who the police firearms get pointed at?
    Guess who's police file gets an 'Armed Contact' notation for every other police department to find on the computer from that day forward?

-----------

As for what firearm question...
    The one that runs as close to 100% of the time you know of.
    One that's smaller/cheaper caliber so it's fun to shoot, it doesn't break your shoulder/wrist, easily manageable recoil, your ears don't take a beating, and your wallet doesn't go inverted! ;)

I start new shooters on pellet guns.
    Cost, recoil & sound are all really small, so you can work on fundamentals like safety, sighting & trigger control.

Then it's time for actual firearms, it's a .17 HMR or .22 LR.
    Again, no broken budgets, shoulders or eardrums...
    I find even the smallest woman or child into double digits in age can manage a bolt rimfire, and with the cost it's not a problem cutting down the stocks for the smaller folks.

If you don't think back to plinking with a pea shooter and it still puts a grin on your face, you probably didn't grow up with BB/pellet guns and .22 LR.
    Just seeing the looks on faces when they experience this takes me back, the big grins & sense of accomplishment when point of impact is point of aim is still fun to watch!

Then it's 10/22 rifles to introduce them to semi-auto.
    I still stress single shot placement, but everyone gets the big grin back when they click off rounds, and a 10/22 is about as cost efficient/reliable as pea shooters come.

Once they learn SAFE HANDLING and some basics, then they can choose more powerful firearms.

-----------

How do you guys handle the newbies & trolls?

I answer questions right away. Unless they're really long questions. Then I answer in post #38.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

A. You just did.

A. I CERTAINLY hope not.

We try and be 2-A advocates. We love to converse with sane people. But after 2 conversations with the managers at Miejers (Sp) and one at the speedway Krogers from psycho soccer moms loosing what little minds they have left it is getting pretty old. The Krogers manager got a good laugh as what the idiot thought was a holster is the holder for a flashlight and my knife. If I am working or will be I more often than not have a multi-tool a flash light and a nice leather holster for my ZT-301 on my belt. The light and knife print. Hilarious. Manager was laughing when he walked back past the soccer mom. She was not pleased.
    The S&W 642 was buried out of sight.

JeepHammer

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2018
    SW Indiana
    I have never had a negative reaction simply because it's no one's business I'm carrying,
    Concealment gives me an edge, and I'm not some guy that doesn't know the difference between combat & random violence.

If Mr. Open carry would have known I was carrying, and had gripped my firearm waiting to see where his limit was, it could have gone very differently.
    My wife noticed it, but neither side of the argument noticed it.
    Since my carry firearm wasn't used, never left it's holster, it isn't a factor in the situation.

Again, I'm not law enforcement, so it's not my job to break up these idiotic screaming matches.
    I'm also not an idiot, it's ALWAYS touch and go exactly WHO gets shot in a gunfight, I don't act any differently when I do carry,
    I'm not pushing a bad situation,
    And I'm not the type that feels bigger with a trigger...
    Ask anyone that has been armed, and shot if that firearm made them any more bullet proof.

If you feel bigger with a trigger, then you are an idiot. I don't know any other way to put it...
    Plenty of law enforcement officers and military were armed & trained, and still got shot.
    I was armed to the teeth, and trained endlessly, and I got shot twice. (16 years Marines)
    Bullets don't have names on them, every bullet fired carelessly or in anger is addressed, "To whom it may concern".

I'm with Wstar425 on one thing, when I feel my composure slipping, I extract myself from the situation.
    When I feel the hair on the back of my neck stand up, I evaluate and if necessary I extract myself.
    I'm probably leaving anyway, I don't push a bad situation, even when I can't quite put my finger on it...

The only reason I stayed as long as I did was I had to back my wife up to leave, and there were children present.
    When the guy stopped with finger in the face, and police were on the way, I extracted myself/wife.

If I would have thought about it, and my wife brought it up later, we probably should have tried to herd kids away from the idiots.
    Small kids don't grasp the situation well, and they herd like cats when they want to see parents melt down...
    Not sure I could have done a lot, but I simply didn't think about it at the time.

As for open carry...
    Doesn't matter who it is outside of military or law enforcement, I'm watching you and I have one chambered, my carry is popped loose from the holster or in my lap,
    Since I don't know WHY you choose to pack an open firearm into a public place, you are on the top of my immediate threat list since people shoot up restaurants & movie theaters, schools & churches...
    Having actual training and NOT trying to make a political statement (political/religious gun toting types always make the hair on my neck stand up) I keep mine concealed.

There is a reason I don't drink anymore, I don't handle the rude very well, and someone with no manners open carrying around my friends/family in an inappropriate situation might just be misunderstood.
    Since I don't know if that random person is legal or not, they obviously have something to 'Prove' and aren't socially adept enough to understand the situation is inappropriate, a clear head makes for accurate evaluation and if necessary, shooting.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom