• How Important Are Antlers to You?

• Total voters

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    Firearms tag is only good for an antlered deer. Muzzy and bow tags are good for either or though. You can use bonus antlerless in addition to all though. Would not be a good idea to take a doe with your firearms "buck tag".

That ^ is my understanding of a resident firearms deer license vs bonus antlerless.

ShootinDave

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    I always take the first decent doe I see and hold out for a decent buck-got a doe Saturday and a mid size 8 this morning so PERFECT SEASON. Still have another bonus tag, so not over yet

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    This is a very interesting thread. Even though I have considered the food I can provide for my family from a nice fat deer kill, I want my first kill to be a trophy. After that, I doubt if I will care about the antlers. However, when I go out tomorrow, if it's brown it's down and if it's gray it will never again see the light of day. :laugh: I'm not going to be fooled twice! :ar15:

ISP 5353

Master
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 21, 2009
    Putnam County
    This is a very interesting thread. Even though I have considered the food I can provide for my family from a nice fat deer kill, I want my first kill to be a trophy. After that, I doubt if I will care about the antlers. However, when I go out tomorrow, if it's brown it's down and if it's gray it will never again see the light of day. :laugh: I'm not going to be fooled twice! :ar15:

Good luck Que!

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you

^^ This is how I felt. I got my trophy several years ago. I know that I will likely never bag another buck like that again. Sure, if a monster comes along I will shoot it. But honestly, the does do taste better, and I already have a nice trophy on my wall. I'm happy.

Me and my buck about 7 years ago:

transfer001.jpg

DanO

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 27, 2009
    NW IN
    Shot a doe first day. Will spend the rest of the season looking for a GREAT buck that I would mount. To me, that means 10 points or more with a great spread and thick beams. A large nontypical would be great also. I have not shot a buck (except culls on a QDM lease) in 8 years. Waiting for the ONE.....

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    to me age structure is the most important followed by antlers. ive only killed 2 bucks my entire life and im 31.

that said i have the extream advantage of living a few hundred yards from my deer stands so filling the freezer is somthing i know i wont be a issue. if i had limited hunting opportunity i wouldn't be nearly as picky. i usually wait on muzzleloader season and kill a few does for the freezer

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    In my younger years if it had antlers it was going down and I didn't care if it was a spike, a forkie, or a giant. Now that I have a half doz on the wall and several piles of antlers in the house and garage I tend to be more picky about what I shoot as far as bucks go. Over the last 5 years or so I have let a lot of decent size bucks pass on by that most hunters would have taken.

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.

Go get them buddy! Good Luck! :yesway:

hammer24

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I pass alot of bucks every year. Sixteen this year already to be exact. One reason is because I want to kill a mature deer, the other reason is because I really like to hunt and really would rather not use my only buck tag on a young or immature deer. If I want to fill the freezer I'll shoot does...and do. I keep that buck tag as my ace in the hole until I see that NO DOUBT shooter! My definition of a NO DOUBTER is different than yours, and yours is probably different than the next guys. Personally I look 140"ish or bigger, at least 3 1/2 or older. Some years that opportunity doesn't come, no biggie, I use my doe tags and have fun doing it.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    No - I'm a Catch and Release kind of guy, because anyone knows that a......Oh, Antlers, Thought it said "Anglers". :n00b:

Deer - I'm very Sexist when it comes to my hunting. I go after the "girl" deer first cause they're Lazy which makes them Fat and Tender. Like most animals. Yum!
    Bucks have them sharp pointy things. While they make nice carry handles they can also scratch my truck. Practical kind of guy. :)

! twitty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 1, 2011
    NE Indy
    This poll is skewed. It should have a "Not at all. I just want to feel my freezer option." I don't shoot small bucks period. But I am not a horn hunter either.

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    Interesting reading all these posts! I honestly thought more would say that they let many walk to get the trophy- just seems to be what I hear about the most.

Personally, I would love to bag a huge buck. At the same time though, I'm not letting anything that can fill that tag go. I was very blessed to take a buck and doe opening day and it was a relief to know I had that tag taken care of. I'm now on my 3rd bonus (my county allows 4), then one in muzzleloading season.

I was cool with my friend taking a small one in archery and he was cool with me taking a small one in firearms. Good to hear there's lots of hunters around that feel the same way.

Not a hunter...but I imagine seeing antlers are real important if you didn't buy a Bonus Antlerless license. ;)
    (And yeah...I get what the poll is asking. I'm just saying.)

Thanks for the insight, JetObviou-- I mean, JetGirl:rolleyes::D

This poll is skewed. It should have a "Not at all. I just want to feel my freezer option." I don't shoot small bucks period. But I am not a horn hunter either.

I guess I assumed most folks who picked the third option did so because they are primarily meat hunters, but you're right, I should have spelled it very clearly. I considered the third option of "Not At All- If I Can Fill the Tag...." to take in this consideration. This is how I hunt- for meat, and part of that is getting the buck tag taken care of.

shooter1054

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    South Indianapolis
    A lot of people complain that "there aren't any good bucks in Indiana." And then on opening day they are bragging about the spike or forker they shot. If you don't let the little ones go, they never get to be big. I got my first buck a couple years ago, a 10 point 140. I won't shoot a small/young buck. With one exception. I haven't taken a deer with a bow. Any buck with antlers is going to go down with my bow. After that, it will have to be a good buck. If it's a "first" anything goes. After you get your first, let them grow up. There are plenty of does for the freezer.

thoroughbred

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Jun 27, 2011
    My houseboat on Lake Michigan
    Personally I fall somewhere in the middle, but I'm honestly very surprised that there aren't more people that hunt for that trophy buck, but to each his own I guess. I am definitely in a direct competition though every year with a best friend to get that monster buck for bragging rights. There has to be at least a few of you guys who are the same way with your hunting friends right?

Top Bottom