• How Important Are Antlers to You?

• Total voters

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    Never taken a buck, and have passed on a few spikes and forks.

My first doesn't have to be a trophy, but I'd like at least decent somewhat mature buck.

at least that's what I tell myself, I'll be out with the shotgun tomorrow and all bets will probably be off :D

firehawk1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 15, 2010
    Between the rock and that hardplace
    I am definitely in a direct competition though every year with a best friend to get that monster buck for bragging rights. There has to be at least a few of you guys who are the same way with your hunting friends right?

I got into a friendly competition with a hunting buddy several years ago. This guy is a deer magnet! He has taken quite a few large mature bucks. After a couple of seasons hunting for antlers it began to dawn on me I was missing out. It ended up taking all the enjoyment out of deer hunting, at least for me it did. I finally decided to just go out and enjoy being in the woods, and if I do take a deer..... icing on the cake!:yesway:

dcary7

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 6, 2009
    East Coast
    For meat, I look at does as they're brown and they're down.

Bucks are a different story. Ill eat tag soup unless its a mature buck. Doesnt necessarily have to have a massive trophy rack, just has to be a mature buck to get shot. No baby bucks for me. (unless I cant tell ie: button buck I thought was a doe when I shot)

dcary7

rkesar

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 11, 2009
    new whiteland
    It all depends on where I hunt. Last year I had private land to hunt so I passed on small bucks . This year I lost the land so I hunt just on public land. So I'm not picky at all now, I just want to put one in the freezer. I'm going to Hoosier National Forest this weekend and the first deer I see is getting shot, It doesnt matter if its a spike, doe, or a huge buck

selinoid44

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    northern Indiana
    I love to eat deer. I don't agree that them ol bucks taste funny or different then any of the other ones. I do hunt for trophy bucks, my intentions are to take at least 130" deer. We all want to shoot that big one. Nobody can tell me they wouldn't shoot a big antlered deer cause the meat taste funny. Now if you shot a clown? That would probably taste funny! I have taken quite a few 140 ish inch deer but never that big one, yet!

windingwinds

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2011
    Miami County, Indiana
    I don't look for a 30 pointer but I do want some weight on the buck if I shoot. I really try for at least 2 yr old deer, I just started to process my own deer and it's alot of effort and time so why waste it on a 40 lb fawn?
    We are so inudated with trophy shows, gadgets, and supplements that we start to think everyone dreams of that giant buck. Power of suggestion, but it's as real as reality tv shows.

yeah we grin when we see that trophy buck, but the reality is, how many people put back $400 for a shoulder mount, or even $100 for a euro mount? Then when you have 20 of those, where do you find the room to put them? They loose some of their magic when the reality of cost, space, and effort is figured in. I saw a 6 pointer buck head mount at a garage sale last summer, wish I knew the story on that one! This is why a good number of people enjoy hunting and eating vension but on shooting bucks are more selective. Trophies collect dust.

deer hunter

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    I will not shoot a young buck. I just feel that the state allows hunters to take as many does that you could ever want by going to different counties that allow extra does. That is why I would let a young buck pass. For those of you that shoot the young bucks, why not wait on the does?:dunno: If you are seeing bucks, there has to be does in the same area. The buck population isn't the same as the does, otherwise the state would allow hunters to take more than 1 buck. I personally think the state messed up by only allowing gun hunters to take a buck. :noway: This encourages those that gun hunt to take any buck that crosses their path. :ar15:

Icemancometh

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2011
    SUNNY SIDE OF THE RIVER
    I am surprised and glad to see others are meat hunters. I shot a big bodied fork horn during early muzzleloader in KY and was ridiculed for it not having a big rack. My two teenage boys keep the freezer empty and I take every chance to fill it up again.

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    For those of you that shoot the young bucks, why not wait on the does?....I personally think the state messed up by only allowing gun hunters to take a buck. :noway: This encourages those that gun hunt to take any buck that crosses their path. :ar15:

I think you answered your own question, at least for guys like me. For some hunters, eating a $24 license is no big deal; for me, it is. That's why I'm taking the first opportunity on a buck that will fill that tag and my freezer. To answer the next question "why not just get doe tags,"- simple, I want the extra deer where I hunt- I have no intention to go traveling around other counties to bag deer. I also appreciate the AK emoticon. If possible, I'd like to take a deer with my Saiga 12:rockwoot:

I am surprised and glad to see others are meat hunters. I shot a big bodied fork horn during early muzzleloader in KY and was ridiculed for it not having a big rack. My two teenage boys keep the freezer empty and I take every chance to fill it up again.

No ridicule from me, my friend. I somewhat understand where you're coming from only my kids are 7,8 and 9 and they LOVE deer meat. As of now I have three deer in the freezer- it will all be gone by the end of January:D

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    talking to a co-worker the other day, it's just he and his wife and they live on deer meat year round.

They both hunt and plan on having at leat 8 deer in the freezer by seasons end.

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    talking to a co-worker the other day, it's just he and his wife and they live on deer meat year round.

They both hunt and plan on having at leat 8 deer in the freezer by seasons end.

Nice! I'm hoping to do something similar when the kids begin hunting hard. My wife is out on the hunting:(

dbd870

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2009
    My main goal is to fill the freezer; having said that I have passed a handful of spikes and forks so far. However there does come a time in the season that the freezer has to be fed and if the does are not cooperating (like this year - haven't had a shot on one yet) then that 1.5 year old buck is going to have to do.

straittactical

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   1
    Dec 16, 2008
    i hunt all year for the trophy. if the season is about to end and i still have no deer in the freezer then i will take a doe. or a small basket rack.

slipnotz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 31, 2010
    Went through many phases 1) First buck, shot the first buck with a rack. 2) Shot any buck regardless of rack size. 3) Changed to a trophy hunter, passed up smaller deer, even went deerless some seasons. 4) Now giving the meat to a family that needs it, so we shoot any buck and a doe for them.

dcary7

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 6, 2009
    East Coast
    I'll kill any doe. I process them myself so I dont care about the size and maturity of a doe. Bucks - I will not harvest unless it is a mature (3.5 or older) deer. therefore I am in my 3rd season now with no buck tag filled. I have passed on more juvenile bucks than I care to count. I'll eat that tag soup if need be. We have plenty of does around here for meat. I'm not dropping a juvenile buck intentionally (took a button by accident - thought it was a doe)

dcary7

Shootin'IN

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2010
    S.W. Indiana
    Unless it is a BC type rack, it is just another buck.
    After you take your first good rack the rest is just meat in the freezer.
    The woods I hunt has way too many small does & bucks (they are eating everything from ground to about 9' high) so I trying to remove some of the smaller ones so I can see how the bigger ones can grow.

cschwanz

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I voted for very important. Id love to shoot a trophy monster. If its not a wall hanger, im not likely to shoot it. I guess that's why I haven't shot a buck in 5 years. I'm just not going to waste my time shooting small bucks. I'd rather shoot a doe or two for the freezer as they are better eating anyways.

clfergus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southeast Indy
    got a 10 point last year with shotgun. If I get a chance to get a nice mature buck with my bow one day I'll prob take it. This year I let a small 8 walk and opted for a doe for my first bow kill. She tastes fantastic. My next buck will have to be something special cause my doe sausage gravy is pretty fantastic.

Top Bottom