• How Important Are Antlers to You?

• Total voters

ajb

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    Northern Indiana
    I will shoot a doe before a small buck. I have ended up with nothing before by waiting for a trophy but antlers are a big part of what I'm out there for.

It doesn't look good for this year, all I'm seeing is small bucks, haven't seen a doe yet.

ChrisK1977

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 23, 2009
    quantity first, quality second. I have a pretty large family and don't care about the size of antlers. Besides I really like to hunt and if I make it all about antler size I don't think it would be as enjoyable.

rao

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2011
    I'm primarily a bow hunter but also do some muzzle loading. I hunt deer, bear, elk, rams, boar, small game exotic animals. I have taught a few guys how to bow hunt and told them everything they take with a bow is a trophy. With deer, specifically, I enjoy seeing a nice rack as much as the next guy, but they're not always my sole focus. I usually take a couple of does early and late bow seasons and hunt bucks during the rutt. The only downside to bucks during the rutt is that their diet, hormones and activity changes and i have found the meat from a rutting buck isn't quite a good. Taking a mature buck with a bow...awesome and challenging but not all there is to hunting. Just my opinion...

BrentTheBoat

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Oct 21, 2011
    Columbus
    Got a 6 pointer this year. not huge but my biggest yet after 2 years of hunting. I keep telling myself if i get a big trophy, after that I won't care about size. Of course if its late in season can't be picky if you want meat.

JNG

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 23, 2009
    Got a 6 pointer this year. not huge but my biggest yet after 2 years of hunting. I keep telling myself if i get a big trophy, after that I won't care about size. Of course if its late in season can't be picky if you want meat.

I used to think the Same thing. Then I got a big one . . . Now I can't wait to get another. It Changes the way you hunt, no question

k12lts

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 26, 2008
    Jackson County
    I hunt my own ground so herd development is important to me. I won't shoot anything under 8 point unless it is something special, I'll let them grow another year.

I usually won't shoot does early in the season because I don't want to scare off the bucks, so does get shot for meat late in the season.

If I don't get a nice buck every year it's ok, there will be a nicer one next year.

nsenneking

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 15, 2011
    Ballstown
    For first bow and shotgun season I will be somewhat choosy on bucks, but once muzzleloader comes around if I can fill my buck tag I will shoot any buck

cschwanz

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    A post earlier made me think about this a little bit more. Id call myself a trophy hunter when it comes to bucks. Our land has a rule, nothing saller than an 8-pt, preferably at the ears or beyond. A buddy down the road has a rule for his place I really like: Shoot any buck you want to....but it HAS to get mounted (and not a little antler mount or European dealio), a $300+ actual neck/shoulder mount. If you shoot a small buck and dont want to mount it, you've just enjoyed your last hunt on his property. I like that idea personally! Most people in my area will not shoot an immature buck.

Now, all that being said, I do love to eat venison. Thats what shooting does are for. I will pass an immature buck any day of the week to shoot a doe for the freezer and have actually given a couple of them a pretty good education by shooting the doe they were with.

The post that got to me was one about wasting a tag. I dont have that pressure and could care less if I dont shoot a buck. Last one I shot was about 5 years ago. I dont feel the pressure as the season winds down because I have a lifetime license and dont need to go buy tags each year. If I dont shoot a buck, I didnt waste $17 or w/e they cost now. Makes me understand a little more about the guys who say they will settle for a small buck near the end of the year. I wont do it, but I guess I can see why some have to.

vwarren

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 2, 2011
    greenfield
    I am a trophy hunter but I would never talk about someone elses deer. a trophy is person specific. I may be looking for 150 or better however a 110 may be a real trophy to someone else at one time it was for me. As far as the meat goes I can kill does for that I don't need to shoot a small buck. I will however pass on mature does during the rut. The season is plenty long with a lot of chances foe both.

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    The post that got to me was one about wasting a tag. I dont have that pressure and could care less if I dont shoot a buck. Last one I shot was about 5 years ago. I dont feel the pressure as the season winds down because I have a lifetime license and dont need to go buy tags each year. If I dont shoot a buck, I didnt waste $17 or w/e they cost now. Makes me understand a little more about the guys who say they will settle for a small buck near the end of the year. I wont do it, but I guess I can see why some have to.

Good post:yesway:

This does make a difference and I can definitely see how it would relieve a guy with a lifetime license of pressure. For me, the buck tag is $24 and I've ate one in the past and it didn't taste good. This year, on opening day, I took a small buck and the pressure was off (also haven't seen another buck since!).

Whitsettd8

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    Floyd Co
    Depends on where I'm at in a particular season. I have higher standards for bucks in firearms season then in bow.... I don't shoot bucks for meat I shoot 90lb does for meat.

farmer21

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 10, 2010
    columbus,IN
    killed some real nice bucks in my hunting career. got 1 that made indiana record books and 2 others that just missed makeing it in. i havnt killed a buck seens 2006, have let alot pass. not killing 1 unless going to mount, so it needs to be as big or bigger then the bucks i already have on the wall.

Top Bottom