• ...and so much more!
  • gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    This is an interesting thread to me. I read a lot of threads on this forum and I get the impression that most of you are out at least weekly and even several times per week going through 4 figure amounts of ammo.

With as much reloading, gun buying, self-defending, trigger control, front sight control, etc. etc. threads going on, I would think most everyone on here are avid and expert shooters.

I missed almost a year when I bought my recent home 2 years ago. Now I am trying to go every other weekend and try to sign up for some kind of training once per month.

I have a lot to learn...:)

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I shoot weekly....In one form or another...usually just banging away at the steel while grilling some chicken, pork, or steak with a .22, .45, .44 or a .357 magnum...Nothing tactical.....I'm not that cool, got no tattoos, and can't grow a beard so I am just a middle aged plinker who watched too many westerns as kid....

I'm really trying to like revolvers better than I do. But I've kinda been thinking about a Smith 686 lately. It's on my "round toit" list.

Osprey

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 13, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Since BGF is no more during my second time around getting into shooting, I have tried other places but got lazy so it's been a loooong time. So much that I have sold a couple of guns since I am getting bored and picked up another hobby from my past. Eventually, I hope to get back into it and have to relearn some basic shooting skills again. It's a good thing it's like riding a bike (to me anyway). Prior to this, my original length of time not shooting was close to 15+ years!

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I'm really trying to like revolvers better than I do. But I've kinda been thinking about a Smith 686 lately. It's on my "round toit" list.

I would guess that you would enjoy a 686 immensely. I have a 586 and I love shooting it.

Since BGF is no more during my second time around getting into shooting, I have tried other places but got lazy so it's been a loooong time. So much that I have sold a couple of guns since I am getting bored and picked up another hobby from my past. Eventually, I hope to get back into it and have to relearn some basic shooting skills again. It's a good thing it's like riding a bike (to me anyway). Prior to this, my original length of time not shooting was close to 15+ years!

That is good that shooting is like that for you. For most of us, shooting is a perishable skill. I know for me, I get rusty fast. But that could be due to not having a lot of years of steady shooting behind me.

What's the new hobby?

jrockne

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2012
    I am embarrassed to admit, but haven't fired a shot since discharging the muzzleloader at the end of the season last December.

Same here, but I'm not really embarrassed by it. I love guns and like to shoot them, but for me, my archery equipment requires much more regular practice.

Freebird01

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    i have to say i probably went close to 10 years once... life and circumstance got in the way... even now i don't get to the range as much as i would like. ive been going to an indoor range to shot my pistols but i have yet to get to an outdoor range to make my rifles go boom...what sucks is now i have at least the start of carpel tunnel in my hands (right worse than left of course:xmad:) which makes shooting pistols a chore sometimes. i get about 40 rds in and my hand shakes uncontrollably. Enough so that i either shoot left handed a bit or call it quits. How hard i squeeze the gun has no effect on how much i shake either... i think its just straight up nerve damage.

i really need to get out and shoot off my rifles again.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0

Well that's the one that'll hook you brother...I just like them...

I hate magazines.....I hate that on most semi autos they place a small button that presses up against your body that with only a couple pounds of pressure can turn your firearm into a single shot and drop your magazine into the dirt....I like that I have heard countless semi auto guys say, "I lost a magazine" but I have never heard a revolver guy say, "I lost my cylinder"....I like that I had to look up the term "FTF"(It means "Failure To Feed") and is in common usage on gun forums...

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    I went about 18 months, maybe a little less, after the time of Newtown. Ammo vanished and I didn't want to shoot up the inventory, even though I was well stocked.

At present, it's been a couple of weeks. Time and kids keep me busy.

4651feeder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 21, 2016
    East of NWI
    Back in the 60's the brother and I delivered newspapers to elderly neighbors who had experienced the depression first hand. Not only did they save every rubber band from their newspapers; they also would request we give them the twine from the newspaper bundles delivered to us. Needless to say we gave them far more twine and rubber bands then they ever used and the excess would be added to a collection of previous contributions which as children we found bewildering. Today while not having experienced conditions anywhere near as tough as these people had, I have a better yet not complete understanding of how a shortage experienced can impact one's future mindset.

I shoot trap most Tuesdays and Sundays; but haven't been able to bring myself to expend metallic for quite some time.

Last edited:

derrickgoins

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Oct 23, 2009
    Westfield
    Probably right around 2 1/2 months. Mostly related to work related travel and a couple of big home projects. I usually try to get out every 2 weeks if not weekly.

Donnelly

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2008
    Cass County
    I am ashamed to admit it, but it has been about two and a half years for me. I got discouraged when the Great ammo shortage started and haven't really been back into it since.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    When I was living out of the country about 5 years ago or so I went almost that whole year without shooting. Now I never go more than a month or hardly two weeks. If the weather is decent I shoot a little bit here and there several times a week. I am fortunate enough to have steel in the back yard though, and I can even shoot off the porch if I want... Or from the bathroom window even :):

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    About five months, after I had my rotator cuff rebuilt. Prolly should have been practicing offhand, but the first couple of months the exercizes to keep it flexible provided enough pain to last the whole day

Top Bottom