How low can AR's go? $300 for an AR now?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    I picked up my two stripped lowers at fourguns in lafayette yesterday. Also grabbed two magpul trigger guards one od green and the other black. I assembled the lower for my sons birthday present last night and pinned it on the upper with a od green magpul grip and trigger guard. Safety was a little gritty so I took the grip back off and pulled the selector added two blobs of geissele purple go juice grease and it snaps back and forth perfectly now. I applied the geissele go juice oil to the trigger group. Also had to fix a couple scratches with a birchwood casey aluma black paint pin that I caused. Overall very happy with the product. I might be cussing it tomorrow when I try to install the cmmg 22lr kit. I'll report back when I get to test fire it.

Keep us posted on how the .22 conversion bolt works for you. I picked one up second hand and it's been pretty much garbage since I got it. I Haven't been able to get it to run reliably at all.

steif

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    80   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    I picked up one used as well, CMMG MFG, it is old enough to have been sold in a round plastic tube with the instructions rolled up in it. I have no idea when it was made. I pulled the bolt out of one and slipped it in and loaded the 3 gray plastic mags with 36 gr federal out of a bulk pack.. it's what i had open at the time, it shot good and no problems except for one round of the federal that had no powder in it.. it just went "pip" and stuck the bullet in the barrel about 2 inches in. I just took a clean rod and popped the bullet out and kept on going. I shot the rest of that pack up without a problem.. I had no idea how it would run being what those conversions are, but mine was good.

tcecil88

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 18, 2013
    @ the corner of IN, KY & OH.
    I have alot of people ask my opinion about AR's because they want to buy their first one. A few want them because of the current political situation and they want to buy one ahead of a perceived ban. A few want them for HD, and the rest want them for a range toy. I always ask what they plan to do with it and what their budget is. Then I steer them toward what I would buy if I were in their situation. I usually recommend S&W M&P Sport II's and Ruger AR-556 for most of the people. You can buy those for not much more than $500 and usually less. Most people are pretty shocked you can buy an entry level AR from a reputable company they have actually heard of for less than you can buy a Glock.
    If the person is a tinkerer like me, then I recommend building one, so they can learn how the rifle goes together and how it works. They can get the exact parts they want and build a rifle they will be proud of that is not a cookie cutter rifle like a Sport II or AR-556.
    For 99% of the people I know, just having the rifle in the house is a comfort. They will shoot it a couple times a year (maybe), then put it back in the safe for next time. The 1% that's left will be serious about it and use the rifle for HD. They will shoot it regularly and keep it maintained. They will add some sort of optic and maybe a light. That 1% will probably buy a second AR and it will probably be an upgraded rifle from a company like SIG, RRA, DD, and the like.
    No matter what a person buys, we should be glad that we can still buy AR's and parts and that everything is so cheap. The old saying "Buy it cheap and stack it deep" is relevant given the current political climate and everyone who can should have an AR in the house, preferably one for each person in the family.

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    I have alot of people ask my opinion about AR's because they want to buy their first one. A few want them because of the current political situation and they want to buy one ahead of a perceived ban. A few want them for HD, and the rest want them for a range toy. I always ask what they plan to do with it and what their budget is. Then I steer them toward what I would buy if I were in their situation. I usually recommend S&W M&P Sport II's and Ruger AR-556 for most of the people. You can buy those for not much more than $500 and usually less. Most people are pretty shocked you can buy an entry level AR from a reputable company they have actually heard of for less than you can buy a Glock.
    If the person is a tinkerer like me, then I recommend building one, so they can learn how the rifle goes together and how it works. They can get the exact parts they want and build a rifle they will be proud of that is not a cookie cutter rifle like a Sport II or AR-556.
    For 99% of the people I know, just having the rifle in the house is a comfort. They will shoot it a couple times a year (maybe), then put it back in the safe for next time. The 1% that's left will be serious about it and use the rifle for HD. They will shoot it regularly and keep it maintained. They will add some sort of optic and maybe a light. That 1% will probably buy a second AR and it will probably be an upgraded rifle from a company like SIG, RRA, DD, and the like.
    No matter what a person buys, we should be glad that we can still buy AR's and parts and that everything is so cheap. The old saying "Buy it cheap and stack it deep" is relevant given the current political climate and everyone who can should have an AR in the house, preferably one for each person in the family.

:oldwise:

SPOOK331945

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2018
    Southern IN
    I think they're about as low as the market is going to be. Once we hit that one year mark before the next election it'll all probably start climbing up again.

Me a few buddies of mine have taken advantage of it to say the least. We've built sooo many of the past couple years, all in various calibers and prices. We've all grown bored of them and actually started a competition between each other to see who can make the ugliest and/or cheapest AR pistol or rifle possible. In our age range/group of friends we're pretty well known in our area for being the "gun nuts." so will have a lot of parts just given to us. Simply because they upgraded/changed something out or "its broke." Being a bunch of Tool makers and Machinist we have a very different definition of "broke." Couple minutes on the mill or lathe and boom good as new.

Right now one of my friends has the ugly trophy lol. Between the red and black spray paint, gold take down pins and Dykem stained upper it is most definitely a sight for sore eyes :):. I think hes around the $100 window on that one.

4EQnJGb.jpg

Out of the group I think I hold the cheapest. Got roughly $40 in it all together. Machined the lower from scrap aluminum. Kind of a neat bolt together design I found online, decided to make one for the heck of it. Surprisingly it works rather well. The barrel I got for free since the stud that orients the barrel to the upper got stripped off. About 2 minutes on the mill, I had the old out and a new one in.

One mans trash is a another mans treasure. It's all in all in good fun and believe me, we've all had a good laugh a time or two when one of us steps out on the range. :):

PqNM27y.jpg

k27ui2B.jpg

Cerberus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2011
    Floyd County
    I think they're about as low as the market is going to be. Once we hit that one year mark before the next election it'll all probably start climbing up again.

Me a few buddies of mine have taken advantage of it to say the least. We've built sooo many of the past couple years, all in various calibers and prices. We've all grown bored of them and actually started a competition between each other to see who can make the ugliest and/or cheapest AR pistol or rifle possible. In our age range/group of friends we're pretty well known in our area for being the "gun nuts." so will have a lot of parts just given to us. Simply because they upgraded/changed something out or "its broke." Being a bunch of Tool makers and Machinist we have a very different definition of "broke." Couple minutes on the mill or lathe and boom good as new.

Right now one of my friends has the ugly trophy lol. Between the red and black spray paint, gold take down pins and Dykem stained upper it is most definitely a sight for sore eyes :):. I think hes around the $100 window on that one.

4EQnJGb.jpg

Out of the group I think I hold the cheapest. Got roughly $40 in it all together. Machined the lower from scrap aluminum. Kind of a neat bolt together design I found online, decided to make one for the heck of it. Surprisingly it works rather well. The barrel I got for free since the stud that orients the barrel to the upper got stripped off. About 2 minutes on the mill, I had the old out and a new one in.

One mans trash is a another mans treasure. It's all in all in good fun and believe me, we've all had a good laugh a time or two when one of us steps out on the range. :):

PqNM27y.jpg

k27ui2B.jpg

I know you.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Ok so in keeping with the lower budget theme here. If a guy wants to build an AR but doesn't want to invest in all the tools to assemble a lower where should he go in Indy to get it done on the cheap?

Floivanus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 6, 2016
    La crosse
    Ok so in keeping with the lower budget theme here. If a guy wants to build an AR but doesn't want to invest in all the tools to assemble a lower where should he go in Indy to get it done on the cheap?
    The only tool you really need for a lower is an armorers wrench and a way to hold the lower; probably would cost less to buy the tools than pay the labor.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast

I squeeze my pins with a set of parallel jaw pliers. Knipex. Some handguards don't require an armorers wrench. The geiselle handguard install guide basically shrugs off torquing the barrel nut.... You really don't need anything special.

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana

The armorers wrench is just for the castle nut on the stock for the lower, so honestly you don't need any special AR specific tools to do a lower. Some things are nice, like the armorers wrench being perfect for the nut but if you have other tools, you can make it work. If you plan on doing more than one, spend the $50 and grab the wrench.

My first lower build I didn't even have roll pin holders, I used a needle nosed pliers to hold it while I tapped it to start it. p.s. get the $10 el cheapeo set from Amazon if you have no other use for them to buy better ones, it'll save you a ton of f bombs when you scratch the crap out of you lower using needle nose plier #askmehowIknow or just use a piece or two of duct or electrical tape on the side to keep it clean.

YouTube away and have fun.

Floivanus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 6, 2016
    La crosse
    I squeeze my pins with a set of parallel jaw pliers. Knipex. Some handguards don't require an armorers wrench. The geiselle handguard install guide basically shrugs off torquing the barrel nut.... You really don't need anything special.
    I’ve found the bolt stop/paddle mag release roll pin is easier to put in with pliers than it is with a proper punch.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    another vote for "you only need an armorers wrench." (besides the normal well equipped handyman's toolbox)

I hosted a build party for Haven and another buddy to help build their first ARs and my first Pistol AR. We had my armorers wrench, a set of standard punches, a nylon hammer, and LOTS of masking tape. (among various other tools every man owns) We succeeded in building 3 ARs without the toolbox of special tools that Larry Potterfield of MidwayUSA claims you need. (coincidentally he sells everything (he says) you need. :rolleyes:)

Top Bottom