• How much experience do you have?

• Total voters

unionblue19

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 13, 2011
    Kokomo, Indiana
    10 year Civil War reenacting with some live firing mixed in that 10 years and not even a month of owning a Glock 22 with NRA Basic and under 500 rounds fired.

Riflemen14

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 15, 2010
    Wells County
    I'm a former Marine('83-'89) :patriot: Which is where I first was taught to handle ,fire and maintain differant weapons. After my hitch in the Marines ended, I kept up shooting as a hobby/sport/enjoyment. I have shot in some local matches over the years. But mainly shoot for enjoyment now.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    Grew up around guns, been shooting for as long as I can remember.

Never taken a class, and never have competed. Just a hobby I try to enjoy every chance I can.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    I have competed at Camp Perry at the Nationals for many years. I am a rifle guy. Across the course and Long range. CMP matches too including leg matches. Never did the blackpowder, smallbore, or pistol matches.

I have competed at the National Police Shooting Championships for 3 years. In MS. I never went to NM.

I have always wanted to shoot the Bianchi Cup. I think that I should get that done.

I have traveled all over the country to shoot rifle matches.

My avatar is the 200 yard offhand stage of a Garand match at FWRR.

Last edited:

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Grew up on the farm with daddy's squirell rifle, Winchester 37, and 1911 from WWII.
    I've been shooting all my life, worn out Marine, shot a little competition, and had a class or two over past few decades

Limpy88

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Nov 12, 2009
    Lafayette
    you dont have a button for regional , state, or local competitions.

i compete regularly but have never taken a class. you dont need someone to teach the rules of a sport when you can read them your self. you practice and practice. you take classes to learn self defense.

Last edited:

LionWeight

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 17, 2011
    Merrillville
    Grew up on a farm and learned to shoot there. When I joined the service I competed in both pistol and rifle and won top honors once. Was in the top 3 several times. Still shoot when I can, hunt when I can and love the sport. With my work schedule I don't get to do enough. Hope that settles down before my eyesight is completely gone.

abmears

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 3, 2010
    I grew up on the farm and started shooting with my dad at a very young age. The only class that I have taken was Hunters Education in the 4-H shooting sports program. I took shooting sports all 10 years of 4-H. I still continue to shoot with friends as often as I can.

24Carat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Newburgh
    Don't remember when a gun was first put in my hands. I was raised in a God fearing Gun clinging atmosphere. The only competition I have been involved with has been with myself by constantly examining and challenging myself to perfect my marksmanship. Muscle memory is my focus.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    You would need mutliple choices.
    I took formal classes but that doesnt mean I dont watch gun related videos on YouTube and sometimes learn a few things from them.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Although I'm just a Regular Guy, I do make a point to attend 1 or 2 training classes every year. Like everyone else I sure wish I had the time to shoot (practice) more, but I probably do shoot more than average simply because I have access to a private shooting range (that I'm quite thankful for). I also get together with some like-minded buddies several times a year for some refresher training/practice. I do not compete in shooting sports. I enjoy training material in video and written format, and I've never met a Twinkie I disagreed with.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Although I'm just a Regular Guy, I do make a point to attend 1 or 2 training classes every year. Like everyone else I sure wish I had the time to shoot (practice) more, but I probably do shoot more than average simply because I have access to a private shooting range (that I'm quite thankful for). I also get together with some like-minded buddies several times a year for some refresher training/practice. I do not compete in shooting sports. I enjoy training material in video and written format, and I've never met a Twinkie I disagreed with.

I agree, every kind of training is good training and sure is better than no training.
    We cant all pay $2000 for a 3 days class every 6 months with the latest tacticool instructor.

I think everybody should start with a good basic class to have solid fondations to learn more in the future though.
    It can be from a certified instructor or from a family menber or friend that knows what he's doing and have been shooting for years.

Then if you get some training from videos or books you can tell if that's BS training according to your formal training you got in a class.

If you have no basics before learning from Joe Blow and his YouTube videos you could learn wrong and dangerouss things.
    Sometimes you dont know that you are doing wrong and you should always learn from someone who knows.
    Firearms dont really let you learn from your mistakes, one mistake could get you killed so know what you are doing.

Also one thing important I think it to be aware of your level and to be honest with that.
    Many people will start doing advanced shooting drills the first time they handle a gun before because they saw a video of a SWAT wannabe guy doing just that.
    Start with the basic (sight picture, trigger control, sight alignment, 4 safety rules etc) and then move on from here once the basics became second nature.
    If trigger discipline is not second nature dont do advance stuff.
    I see videos of people running with their finger on the trigger, pointing guns at people and such, drawing while running ... when it's ovious they have no training at all and should stick to airsoft until they get the basics right.

Sorry, rant's over.

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I shoot as often as i can (usually every other weekend) and the only firearm related class I have ever had was the class required to get my UT non resident permit a couple years ago. I did learn a few things from that class and really enjoyed it.
    I do enjoy watching some of the video training aids out there from time to time, and am always talking guns with my gun buddies. I am not against taking other classes in the future if timing, location, and price were to work out. There is always something new to learn, or something that can be improved.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Hey, you also left out a choice for "I'm a tacticool mall ninja and I have all the best low drag high speed equipment and special ninja seal training. Good to go!" Nah, I just get to the range sometimes, went through the 4H Hunter education class with my son a few years ago. Haven't been able to do much the last couple of years, basically unable to walk, but I'm back in action :)

Bigjon07

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    I have never taken any classes. I was taught by my father. Grew up around guns and never had formal training. But the basics are instilled in the generations of my family. I plan to do the same with my son. But also would like to take a couple classes.

snowrs

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2011
    Evansville
    I posted pics of my first ever hunt at age 10 in the outdoor section, I was raised with guns, around college until a year ago they were not part of my everyday life. Convinced my wife that they are not evil and we have taken a few classes and she now shoots with me on a every other weekend basis.

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    Classes on rifle at the World Famous Bravo Range in sunny Southern California, first classes on pistol and shotgun at NSGA Northwest in VA.

Since then, 10 years of piddling around on square ranges killing paper slowfire with a pistol. Finally got around to competing this year, USPSA, Steel, and the occasional IDPA match. I think I may have caught a bad case of the high-power bug this past weekend, thanks to Mr. Sloughfoot. :):

Top Bottom