• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I can't believe I missed this thread! :rockwoot:Oh boy, where do I start?

My favorite dentists web site with way more patient oriented info than you would ever want to know is here... Ask Doctor Spiller, A Dentist With over 30 Years Experience
    He isn't around here but his site is full of great info (not just cut and paste stuff like most others.)

I've only had about 3 or 4 patients in my 15+yrs that I really thought would not be taking a risk to have a cleaning every 1 year. Otherwise 6 months is really the longest you want to go for too many reasons to mention.
    Did you guys know INGO has a dental plan for site supporters? :ingo:Did you think they took me on because of my computer skills? :n00b:Vast gun knowledge? :n00b::n00b:Interpersonal skills?:laugh: :n00b:

If I made an appointment, do I at least get a HUGE INGO discount? :D

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Anyone else use the Philips electric toothbrush? What a great device. My cleanings only take a few minutes since getting that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1f3dzxjefcI

I use that and the blue and white J&J dental floss and the green floss swords from Wal-green's.

What does everyone use for mouthwash? I use Listerine Total Care or Crest Pro Health. I mix in Biotene every now and then.

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    My dental insurance is more like a savings account. My premiums add up to the cost of cleaning twice a year if they'd just bill me direct.

Same for my eye insurance.

The only place it helps is if I need something out of the ordinary done, and I guess that's the real point of insurance, isn't it.

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    The last time I went, the little sadist doing the cleaning decided I needed to be stabbed in my gums with a sharp stick about 20 times to determine something.

I don't know, it sucked, and I don't see how it did anything that couldn't be done just by looking or maybe using a stick that wasn't so sharp.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    Anyone else use the Philips electric toothbrush? What a great device. My cleanings only take a few minutes since getting that.

I use that and the blue and white J&J dental floss and the green floss swords from Wal-green's.

What does everyone use for mouthwash? I use Listerine Total Care or Crest Pro Health. I mix in Biotene every now and then.

Don't use that toothbrush but I've got an electric and a regular one (travels in my truck with a mini thing of tooth paste). For mouthwash I just use gin but moonshine has been used in the past.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I used to use a Sonicare. It worked great on my gumline, but I had trouble getting good results on the flats. I also used a Braun rotary, which was better on the flats, but not as good on the gumline.

Now I just go manual.

Floss is J&J "gum care." It was originally marketed as "tartar control," then "gentle gum care," and now it's just "gum care." My new periodontist actually has it for the samples they give you after an appointment.

My dentifrice is currently Colgate sensitive "enamel protect." It's less abrasive than their other "sensistivity" toothpaste. I used to use Sensodyne, but the Colgate version works better for me (I think because the concentration of NO3- is higher).

I use the Walmart generic version of Crest's Pro Health when I use a wash.

MikeA

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2011
    I went to the dentist today, first time in 5 years. We have 3 appointments set up for August.

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    Early on, in my teens when I was covered under my parents insurance, I went every six months, as my mom scheduled my exams. At that time, I had cavities in my pre-teens, then in my late teens, I avoided cavities for the most part. Then I got my own insurance when I got a full-time job, but never went for two years. I was never educated (or if I was, I was young and dumb and didn't pay attention) about dental care. I had moved into Indy, where we had the magical city water with fluoride that was supposed to help magically protect teeth. If brushing twice a day was put on a scale of 100, with 100 being the best, I bet I was around 33%. I always used mouthwash and brushed, but more so for breath control than cleaning my teeth.

Well, after two years of slacking, and having no reason not to go (two cleanings a year, 100% paid for by insurance), I started having pain inside my teeth. The pain was very bad, and I had to use liquid Orajel so the liquid could flow down the cavity to the nerve and stop the pain. Finally found a dentist, went, and had seven cavities and a dead nerve which required a root canal. Teeth were so bad, dentist recommend a crown for one tooth. Teeth ended up having so many cavities (from the new ones and old ones) dentist recommended even more crowns over the years. So now I have one fake gold tooth, and at least three or four porcelain (I think) crowns.

After spending around $3,000 over five or six years, I learned my lesson. The dentist gave me a good education on brushing habits. After having my teeth fixed and brushing after I eat breakfast and at night before I go to bed (and brushing good at that), I haven't have a cavity in years. I don't floss, and have since found out that the spin brush (Oral-b) actually works very well.

If I didn't have insurance, I likely would brush my teeth after every meal, even lunch at work. I would also floss more likely. Even then, I likely would find a cheap dentist for a cleaning, or go to the IU Dental School at IUPUI for a once a year cleaning. Even spending $100 or so a year is better than $3000+ I had to pay for neglecting my teeth for two years.

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    What does everyone use for mouthwash? I use Listerine Total Care or Crest Pro Health.

I use Listerine, cool mint or whatever. I like alcohol based mouthwashes. The non-alcohol stuff doesn't make my mouth feel as clean. I avoid Fluoride as well. I use Tom's of Maine Cinnamint toothpaste with Propolis and Myrrh. My dentist said to use Fluoride paste only, but considering my teeth went to hell after consuming large amounts of Fluoride in my drinking water (and using it to brush my teeth, though not as much as I should have), I think Fluoride and teeth health is over rated.

Top Bottom