• mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    I have no problem standing up for myself, but I have no intentions of shooting anyone who isn't trespassing or giving me reason to do so. I was taught to never aim a gun at anything you don't intend to shoot and I wish the neighbor had learned that important safety rule as early as I did. He is too stupid to understand it now, much less when he was a child. Hey...what can I say. I'm a likable girl who likes to shoot and have a social cocktail now and then;).

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    No one wants to hurt anyone.

Talk to an attorney about the way to stop this behavior.

Thanks Kirk. Very good advice and I do believe that will be my next step after getting my response from the DNR and maybe ONE more final chat with the sheriff. I'm not messing with his deputies. I'm going to be putting in a call to him or cornering him at the next county commissioner's meeting and having a chat if I can't find him any other way. Of course, I could always go down to McDonald's and chat with him there I suppose. He's usually at the ROMEO table early in the day.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    I appreciate a good speller. I might owe him a drink for the advice! The plum brandy should be ready to sample soon. It's good for those winter colds.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    Stop posting "ideas" or anything else that can be printed up and quoted out of context.
    Listen to Kirk. (That's my prescription)

SkullDaddy.45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    0hio
    Stop posting "ideas" or anything else that can be printed up and quoted out of context.
    Listen to Kirk. (That's my prescription)
    I usually don't take prescriptions from a monkey, but a monkey with a gun? No problem! And may I add, a good spelling monkey!

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    I'm smart enough to understand when things are said in jest and anything that could be taken that way has been. I have no intention of doing anything illegal or that would result in harming anyone, not even "the idiot". I have a family that is important to me and I don't intend to risk that or my freedoms for some jerk who doesn't understand safety or respect his neighbors. I will follow the proper legal channels, as frustrating as that process can be.

There are steps to be taken and I see what needs to be done. I just needed confirmation that I had exhausted my other options before putting money out for a lawyer to address this situation.

Meanwhile, there is no harm in blowing off a bit of steam and joking around a bit. Life is too short to always be serious!

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    I'm smart enough to understand when things are said in jest and anything that could be taken that way has been. I have no intention of doing anything illegal or that would result in harming anyone, not even "the idiot". I have a family that is important to me and I don't intend to risk that or my freedoms for some jerk who doesn't understand safety or respect his neighbors. I will follow the proper legal channels, as frustrating as that process can be.

There are steps to be taken and I see what needs to be done. I just needed confirmation that I had exhausted my other options before putting money out for a lawyer to address this situation.

Meanwhile, there is no harm in blowing off a bit of steam and joking around a bit. Life is too short to always be serious!
    Good for you!
    I hope you get this settled before someone gets hurt (or worse)!

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner

It's all fun and games til a house burns down.
    Carry on.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    That is a saying I don't believe I have heard before. Maybe I need to hang around with more monkeys with guns! LOL

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    Well, no houses are burning down here that I'm aware of. Thanks to those who offered their thoughts on our situation as I appreciate having some outside input on options. I also appreciate the humor that was mixed in. Humor is an important part of life and I certainly don't take this situation lightly as it is dangerous for anyone in the path behind those targets.

I will let you know where I get with the sheriff's department/dnr over the next day or two before I contact an attorney. I'd love to get it resolved without involving one, but I'm afraid Kirk is right and it is what we will end up doing.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    Maybe I need to spend some time in one of hubby's tree stands off to the east and just watch and wait....not a direction they seem to shoot. I spent a fair amount of time out there when I knew he would be at work photographing the slugs and tree damage and the shooting seems to be west and northwest. I'm pretty sure I've got good documentation for a lawyer to work with. When I worked at the law firm, research was my job so that I know how to do!

It's funny how whenever we mention this neighbor to anyone in the area, they all refer to him as "that idiot" or something similar. Even the newest neighbors that just moved here in June call him that. They apparently went to his yard sale and figured it would be a good way to meet the neighbors. While there, they mentioned that they hear him shooting and they like to shoot. They asked him where he shoots and when he told them in his back yard (which they could clearly see was not big), they asked what he used for a backstop. He told them there were a lot of trees out there that would stop any bullets, and they were stunned. They are also to his west and no longer go outside when they hear the shooting start.

If he was shooting at ground level or where you could put tannerite, that might work but how do you hang it in a tree at eye level and hide it? I have bullet holes 30 feet up on some of my trees.

I'm going to keep all these offers of help in mind! LOL! We could turn this into some sort of party.
    Sounds like an OC event, BBQ, Shoot, and /or HUNT, is the answer...... Just post up dates, and we will come.... We'll bring our meat, you make beans, and potato salad ..... :twocents:

CathyInBlue

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Hang a couple of 4x8 sheets of plywood on your own property behind his backstop. It'll prove what a bad shot he is when they turn up perforated and be exhibit A in your lawsuit against him.

Paint "DO NOT SHOOT ONTO MY PROPERTY!" on each of them.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    Return fire. You have the right of self defense.

Unfortunately...that typically ends up being penalized like the guy in a football game who 'get back' at the guy who's playing him dirty! You end up with the yellow flag (cops, lawsuit, etc.) being hurled at you!

It's sad that he's such a poor example of a man, father, and leader to his toddlers...much less courteous to his neighbors! Sounds like a real peace of hick!

1. Document everything!
    2. Take photos / videos to provide proof.
    3. Consult with an attorney...see if he will mail him an 'official' letter informing him that you've sought counsel regarding his errent actions.
    4. Keep calling the sheriff's office.
    5. Obtain witness statements and have them notorized for authenticity...and file them with your attorney.

Sooner or later something will change...just hope it's not you, a loved one, or one of those innocent toddlers!

Getting into a gun battle with an idiot and his idiot friends won't end well for anyone...don't get sucked down or into his level.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    Hang a couple of 4x8 sheets of plywood on your own property behind his backstop. It'll prove what a bad shot he is when they turn up perforated and be exhibit A in your lawsuit against him.

Paint "DO NOT SHOOT ONTO MY PROPERTY!" on each of them.

I like this idea! I do believe we have some of large pieces of plywood or metal that we could easily do this with. Will have to share this idea with hubby tomorrow and ask the lawyer if it would help our case when I call her.

Top Bottom