• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • twsulli54

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Avon
    I like to hold the front of my dominate hand with my off hand while shooting a handgun. My father swears by holding the underneath side of his shooting hand.
    any suggestions?

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I grip it like Todd Jarrett does, and of course I shoot better than he does. :)
    You find the purple part in that last sentence.

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    I shoot right handed and wrap my left hand around the front of my right. I push forward with the right while pulling back with the left. It really steadies up my grip and also reduces felt recoil for me (9mm, 40S&W, 45 Auto.) For awhile I was putting my support hand more forward with my left pointer finger pulling back on the front of the trigger guard. That made me pull most of my shots off to the left. Now I use the above method and that took care of the problem.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    as Jeremy pointed out, there are different strokes for different folks......the video was good at demonstrating the most "popular" grip technique....but your individual results may vary....some have better luck with the first knuckle joint rather than the pad of the finger.....but the secondary hand being placed underneath is usually only recommended for revolvers to prevent your secondary thumb from getting split open by the chamber gases escaping

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    The location of the slide stop on a Sig prevents using a high hand grip. If you even touch the top of the slide stop with your strong thumb it will cause the slide not to lock open on the last rnd. Conversely if you slightly push up on the slide stop it will cause the slide to lock on almost every rnd.

Proper grip depends alot on you and the gun you will be training with the most. I have to reteach myself somtimes how to hold a Sig if I have been using a different gun for a while.

Billy Bob Chubb

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2012
    Fishers, IN
    I wouldn't over-think it. Put the gun on the table. Pick it up quickly and aim it at a target...however your hands end up is what you are most comfortable with. Perfect your technique with that starting point.

scottka

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    SW IN
    I grip it like Todd Jarrett does, and of course I shoot better than he does. :)
    You find the purple part in that last sentence.

I think I found a picture of you...
    clipart-illustration-purple-man-emerging-from-spilled-paint.jpg

:laugh:

I also use the same grip as Todd does. It's definitely a good idea to get your grip so that every time you grasp the pistol, it is the same.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I think I found a picture of you...
    clipart-illustration-purple-man-emerging-from-spilled-paint.jpg

:laugh:

I also use the same grip as Todd does. It's definitely a good idea to get your grip so that every time you grasp the pistol, it is the same.

:rolleyes:

Here is a REAL pictue of me at the range ... the day I forgot my gun.

7.jpg

With muscle memory you dont even need the gun to have a good grip. :D
    If you are not as good as I am you can just train at home with your gun (empty of course, or blue gun) and grip the gun over and over again.
    Grab it from a table, grip it, put it back ... etc.
    That builds muscle memory and you will grip the gun better when you are at the range.
    You can also use a target on your wall to work on your sights as well.
    Once again double and triple check that the gun is unloaded if you do that with a real gun, have a safe direction and such.

Billy Bob Chubb

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2012
    Fishers, IN

7.jpg

I see everyone else standing in that stance. I stand with my feet parallel to my line of sight (you are perpendicular or squared off) with my right arm completely across my body. Somebody told me that I shoot like I'm in the military.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    I see everyone else standing in that stance. I stand with my feet parallel to my line of sight (you are perpendicular or squared off) with my right arm completely across my body. Somebody told me that I shoot like I'm in the military.
    no, military is trained to square of....more stable shooting platform and if you were to absorb a round it'll hit your body armor plating, hopefully, rather than enter your exposed side

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    There are generally two stances for pistol.....Weaver, which is basically what you are using.....and Isoceles...which is squared up with both hands straight out in front of you like a triangle...........different strokes for different folks, but mostly Isoceles seems to be more popular and accurate becaue it provides natural sight alignment and bone structure support

Billy Bob Chubb

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2012
    Fishers, IN
    no, military is trained to square of....more stable shooting platform and if you were to absorb a round it'll hit your body armor plating, hopefully, rather than enter your exposed side

Very interesting tactical reasoning.

There are generally two stances for pistol.....Weaver, which is basically what you are using.....and Isoceles...which is squared up with both hands straight out in front of you like a triangle...........different strokes for different folks, but mostly Isoceles seems to be more popular and accurate becaue it provides natural sight alignment and bone structure support

I'll stick with Weaver, but good info. Thanks!

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    Very interesting tactical reasoning.

I'll stick with Weaver, but good info. Thanks!
    also, in the isoceles....squaring up not only helps military utilize their body armor...it helps anyone in a gun fight.......but it's a trade off.....the theory is, with isoceles, if you were to get hit the round would have minimal damage by hitting mostly only one vital organ IF any....whereas if you take a round in the side, as with the weaver stance, it will penetrate and damage several vital organs....sincerely increasing the likelihood of your death BUT you're theoretically making yourself a narrower target for your enemy

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Actually, before body armor became popular, Weaver was taught in the military. It wasn't till the late 90s that I think they switched. It was a pretty hot topic for a while, switching the way you teach thousands of people.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Actually, before body armor became popular, Weaver was taught in the military. It wasn't till the late 90s that I think they switched. It was a pretty hot topic for a while, switching the way you teach thousands of people.

It changes every 10 years or so you should shoot the way you shoot the best, and not the way everybody shoots.
    Just look at the stance the FBI and other LEOs had in the 60's, shooting from the hip with revolvers.
    Then the weaver was the new thing, now it's kinda old school and the isoceles is the fashionable way to go.
    I tell you we will all look old and silly when we will be shooting in 10 or 20 years compared to the new guys and their new fancy stance. :D

That may just be the future stance that allows you to headbutt your target as you shoot:

Why waste ammo when you can headbutt your attacker? :):

Developing-the-2-retention-shooting-position.jpg

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    Ive found this to be the proper way for me too. The basic idea is to flatten bith hands firmly on each side if the gun, so that your hans cover the most surface area of the grip, and support each other. Old timers used revolvers, which sometimes require a different grip.

Now that I use this grip I can hit an eyeball at 20ft repeatedly. It did take me years of practice, much of which was spent with an empty pistol, watching the sites for movement as I dry fired.

7.jpg

With muscle memory you dont even need the gun to have a good grip. :D
    If you are not as good as I am you can just train at home with your gun (empty of course, or blue gun) and grip the gun over and over again.
    Grab it from a table, grip it, put it back ... etc.
    That builds muscle memory and you will grip the gun better when you are at the range.
    You can also use a target on your wall to work on your sights as well.
    Once again double and triple check that the gun is unloaded if you do that with a real gun, have a safe direction and such.

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    Frankly this is just terrible advice, maybe he was joking, I dont know. For most people it takes a lot more practice. The firmer and balanced the grip, the better you shoot. And I dont think it feels natural at all, quite the opposite, hence the need for muscle memory...

I wouldn't over-think it. Put the gun on the table. Pick it up quickly and aim it at a target...however your hands end up is what you are most comfortable with. Perfect your technique with that starting point.

evsnova74

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Near-east Indy
    It changes every 10 years or so you should shoot the way you shoot the best, and not the way everybody shoots.
    Just look at the stance the FBI and other LEOs had in the 60's, shooting from the hip with revolvers.
    Then the weaver was the new thing, now it's kinda old school and the isoceles is the fashionable way to go.
    I tell you we will all look old and silly when we will be shooting in 10 or 20 years compared to the new guys and their new fancy stance. :D

That may just be the future stance that allows you to headbutt your target as you shoot:

Why waste ammo when you can headbutt your attacker? :):

Developing-the-2-retention-shooting-position.jpg

Oooohhhh, thaaaaaat's what Grebner was doing in that infamous video. I always wondered... :laugh: :lmfao:

Top Bottom