• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    I don't want to give the wrong impression of me haphazardly dry firing from my bed or sofa...

Below are three steps I apply EVERY time I am going to dry fire (or allow someone else to handle my gun). One hundred percent attention must be paid to each step, and there are no shortcuts! For example, if I set my gun down, I will repeat ALL steps when I pick it back up. Everyone should ALWAYS assume a bullet is in the chamber every time they pick up a weapon, period. Whatever status you *think* your weapon is in, or how you recall emptying it, is irrelevant--the only SAFE assumption is that the gun is fully loaded every time you pick it up.

If you cannot follow safe operating procedures, you should not dry fire your weapon in your house (and you probably should not own a weapon). Novices should practice dry firing at the gun range, the same as if firing live rounds.

These same rules apply to cleaning my pistols...

1. Remove magazine, and move all ammunition/magazines away from gun.
    2. Operate slide to empty chamber (NO MAGAZINE!), then cycle three times rapidly.
    3. Lock the slide back, and visually inspect chamber, and magazine well (under proper lighting conditions).

In addition, before each trigger pull, I will usually perform a quick inspection of the chamber.

When dry firing, all the same rules of gun safety still apply. ALWAYS point the muzzle in a safe direction, preferrably into the ground. Some people only dry fire into a bucket of sand, or stack of phonebooks, and that is absolutely necessary if you cannot aim at the ground.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Here's my take on grip. The more contact you can get on the frame, and the higher in relation to the bore line, the better off you are. Accurate shooting can be done from any hand position since hands, other than the trigger finger, have nothing to do with hitting what you aim at. However, firing multiple, accurate shots in compressed time frames does require more attention to technique & effort on the part of the shooter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJOslIIfggk

Decided to try the camming thing again this last weekend when shooting. I had tried it before, maybe a couple of years ago, but didn't stick with it. Couldn't remember why, till I tried it again. For me, the problem with this is that it messes up my press out something terrible. Currently my grip allows me to do my press out so that when I reach the end, my sights, or dot, are in the right place. When I cam, they are high and right (left handed) by quite a bit. Now this could probably be overcome by thousands of repetitions, but for the small amount of added recoil control, it is not worth it for me to mess up something that is working well. Doesn't mean it wouldn't work great for others.

Top Bottom