• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    I am about as far south in the state as you get and we have had hummers for a couple of weeks now.

I was on my tractor mowing yesterday and had a pair almost pierce my ear lobe, they aren't bashful.

On another note, the day started off cloudy but as the clouds dissipated I had a mature pair of bald eagles circling over my head.

We have several pairs in the southern part of the state but this is the first time I have seen them from my own property. Beautiful...

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    Northern part of the state. I was feeling optimistic so I put four oriole feeders out yesterday. I had a humminbird at the feeder as I was walking away from hanging one and they were zooming all over a couple of hours later. I saw three Orioles today so oranges and grape jelly are now out as well. It must be spring!!

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Saw our first hummingbird Monday, so I put a feeder out Tuesday. Haven't noticed them around it yet, but I really wasn't paying attention yesterday evening. I've got our feeder hanging on a shepherd's hook out by the edge of the patio this year. Used to hang it from the deck roof supports, but last year, ants found it somehow, so I thought I'd at least keep the ants away from the deck if they find it again.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    I'm on my way out the door in a minute to hang up three more feeders and refill the jelly and orange feeders. The Orioles ate an entire 30 oz jar yesterday of the jelly. Two oranges a day is their limit but I'm sure they would eat more if I put them out. Aldi loves me. I think I need to buy a case or two of the jelly at my next visit. The six jars I grabbed Thursday are going fast. Orioles and hummingbirds are all over my yard.

EyeCarry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 10, 2014
    Bloomington
    Saw our first hummingbird Monday, so I put a feeder out Tuesday. Haven't noticed them around it yet, but I really wasn't paying attention yesterday evening. I've got our feeder hanging on a shepherd's hook out by the edge of the patio this year. Used to hang it from the deck roof supports, but last year, ants found it somehow, so I thought I'd at least keep the ants away from the deck if they find it again.
    Put Vaseline on the hang rod to keep ants from getting to the "nectar." I use it in addition to the "water moat" at the base of the rod as it always evaporates before I get to check on it.

EyeCarry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 10, 2014
    Bloomington
    I'm on my way out the door in a minute to hang up three more feeders and refill the jelly and orange feeders. The Orioles ate an entire 30 oz jar yesterday of the jelly. Two oranges a day is their limit but I'm sure they would eat more if I put them out. Aldi loves me. I think I need to buy a case or two of the jelly at my next visit. The six jars I grabbed Thursday are going fast. Orioles and hummingbirds are all over my yard.
    Jelly feeder?? I get a few orioles a year and I know they like oranges but haven't heard of using jelly. Tell me more.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    Jelly feeder?? I get a few orioles a year and I know they like oranges but haven't heard of using jelly. Tell me more.

They love grape jelly! I just buy the cheap stuff at Aldi and put it in glass votive cups like you put candles in. I set them out on top of our feeder pole and they devour it.

I have several nectar feeders out and a few poles that hold seed feeders, suet, etc. This pole had a motorcycle wheel/rim with spokes on it horizontally on top with hooks on the outer rim to hold various feeders. I set the votive cups in the spokes. I poke the oranges onto the hooks that hold the other feeders. I also put orange halves into a suet feeder that I wire shut to keep the squirrels from stealing the oranges on another pole.

wiNK5ED.jpg

Closer view of the jelly feeders

I6xFM36.jpg

I get more orioles every year. Last year, I had probably a dozen. Now, I see a dozen on top of that feeder pole with others swooping around and waiting in the branches of the trees nearby for their turn to eat.

EyeCarry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 10, 2014
    Bloomington
    Thanks for the pics Mom45. I'll have to try some of your ideas but the only motorcycle rims I have are on the bikes and are going to have to stay there. :) It is fun watching the birds jockeying for position at the feeder. Soon the parents will be showing the young ones how it's done.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    Thanks for the pics Mom45. I'll have to try some of your ideas but the only motorcycle rims I have are on the bikes and are going to have to stay there. :) It is fun watching the birds jockeying for position at the feeder. Soon the parents will be showing the young ones how it's done.

They had a couple of the spoked rims at the swap meet this morning with good tires on them. Hubby says we don't need them. LOL I may have to see if any of the bikes in the garage have some that I could use...I bet a bicycle wheel would work well too!

deo62

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    Peru
    Wow! We're getting overrun with orioles this year. couple of pairs of hummingbirds, lots of competition, so we put out more feeders.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    Wow! We're getting overrun with orioles this year. couple of pairs of hummingbirds, lots of competition, so we put out more feeders.

I had someone tell me all of their local stores are out of grape jelly. I'm going through 30 oz a day plus two to three oranges a day. It's probably a good thing that they don't stay all summer! I am going to have to stop at Aldi today to see if they have more jelly as I am down to my last jar. They are going through the nectar pretty quickly too with the orioles and hummingbirds both hitting those feeders. I see the grosbeaks are eating the jelly too. The buffet is open at my house! :rockwoot:

I may need to work more hours or ask for a raise.

Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI
    I have had them for a few weeks, seems like a bit more activity than last year. I have something new going on though. The feeder is empty every morning. At dusk it will be anywhere from 1/3 to 1/2 full and in the morning it is close to bone dry. In the past I have had issues with raccoons which have always broken them or knocked them down but this year I am 90 percent sure it is not them. During the day with regular hummingbird visitors they barely put a dent in the supply. I am working on getting a new trail cam to look at things but in the mean time what do you guys think may be emptying them?

Top Bottom