PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    this is all we use.....1 cup sugar to 1 quart water

Ok, I'm sticking with it.

There was an environment change this year - my neighbor with the hummingbird bush moved and the kids that moved in dug it up. I'm not mad a the kids, they totally improved the small forest my old neighbor had for a back porch. But I think that bush helped draw them to my yard.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    Does red food coloring help or does it make no difference? Also, how often should you change out the juice so that it doesn't become rancid?

The food coloring is the entire reason people make their own. Believe it is not good for the birds long term. And, I am learning that you have to change it out periodically because it will ferment and be bad for the birds too.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    No red food coloring. If you have a red or orange feeder, they will come to it. I go through over 50 pounds of sugar a summer feeding them. I have five feeders out at all times that each hold a quart and clean and refill them at least once a week. During hot weather, it is changed about every 3 days.

Keeping the feeders clean is important so the bacteria doesn't grow in the feeders and contaminate them.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    Just accidentally spooked the first one I've seen on the feeder all summer. Didn't expect him, just glad to know they've found the feeder.

proud american

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 11, 2016
    South Bend
    We have no feeders. Lots of flowers and flowering bushes. However, constantly helping them out of my garage. They are a drag since since our ceiling is high and the garage door is at 7. 5 feet. they will not fly down to get out.

Knife Lady

PROUD TO BE AN ARMY BRAT
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Central USA
    Guess my hummers are gone till next spring. Haven't seen any for 2 days now. They will be missed. The anticipation of their arrival of next year is exciting and look forward to it again and again....... Time to bring in the feeders and take them apart and wash them and let them air dry and pack them away till next year.

bcannon

QC Dept aka Picky F'er
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Apr 13, 2012
    Boiler Country
    Still have 6 here. Well atleast they were here at day break. They all have picked a feeder and are very territorial. Have pics from last year of 2 that where here til Nov 6th. The weather might have them a little confused but we'll see what happens.

bcannon

QC Dept aka Picky F'er
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Apr 13, 2012
    Boiler Country
    Heres a pic of the last one last year. I was wrong, it was Nov 9th not the 6th.
    l1vb0ts.png

Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI
    I didn't see any all weekend up in the NW corner of the state. I usually have a visitor every 6 minutes all day long

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I built up a place to set some 20" wide pots so the spouse can put out some of the flowers you folks listed that will attract them.
    We hope to have some success.
    The materials are left over privacy fence boards. Th pyramid and the shelf.
    u0jqX9p.jpg

Last edited:

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    I put my feeders away a week ago. The food was spoiling and appeared to be untouched. Feeders were getting emptied regularly before that. Even the seed feeders aren't being used much, but I assume those birds are enjoying the seeds on all of my flowers that are drying up. I have been seeing a lot more blue jays as well.

Top Bottom