• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tandor

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 4, 2011
    Chesterton
    Can I person bait deer on private property and shot deer out their window? I know it sound crazy but I work with a guy that does this, doesn't sound very sporty to me, what does the law say?:dunno:

Kveldulf

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 20, 2011
    Tippecanoe County
    You cannot bait deer in Indiana on any land. This is a quote from the violations section of the Indiana DNR deer hunting guide:

"Using bait, salt, snares, dogs or other domesticated animals to take deer. Bait is considered any product that is transferred into a hunting area and placed there for animal consumption. Baits can be in the form of salt, mineral blocks, piles of corn or apples or other food, or a prepared solid or liquid intended for the animal to eat. An area is considered to be baited for 10 days after the removal of the bait and any affected soil."

I suppose you could bait the area every day up until 10 days before hunting season to condition them, and then hope they keep the habit of looking in the same area for food.

I don't see any reason, however, why you couldn't hunt them from your house. At my grandpa's, for instance, you could shoot deer in his field across from his pond from his deck if you were so inclined. (I've never done this, by the way.) As long as everything takes place on your property, or on the property of someone who grants you permission (and you're obviously in an area that allows the discharge of firearms), you should be okay.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana
    if you are taking them under a hunting permit you can not bait..
    if you are killing them under a herd reduction permit you can..
    just not a good idea to bait during hunting season...

walbertb13

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2011
    You cannot bait deer in Indiana...private or public. If it is not found in nature (or your yard) naturally, then it is baiting. this includes: salt licks, attractants, or random apples or corn in the middle of the woods. The catch is, it is perfectly legal to place all of these things in the wild, but you cannot hunt anywhere near them. They have to be removed at least 10 days before the opening day of the hunting season. If caught, it is a $500 fine and possible prison time, not to mention anything you have with you while hunting (firearms, bow, truck, expensive equipment), can be taken from you.

As for hunting out of your house, I would advise against it, however I am not sure if there is an actual law. I know that you cannot shoot deer from your vehicle and that you must be a certain distance away from buildings that are not on the land you own or have permission to hunt. If it turns out it is legal to shoot deer from your home, let it be known it is not safe, and all of the same hunting rules apply...you would probably get in trouble anyways, just because it is very unsafe...so please tell your friend to stop!

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    clarification...

You can hunt bean/corn fields/apple orchards/food plots -- no problem there. If it's growing it's OK. If you pick it and put it somewhere else it's baiting.

philagothon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    On the 7th step
    Kvwldulf, thanks for quoting the guide. Unfortunately, I think, you and walbertb13 misinterpreted it. The bait does not have to be removed 10 days before the season. It has to be removed 10 days before hunting the area. If someone knew they would not have a chance to hunt until the last weekend of muzzleloader season they could bait the area through early archery, all of modern firearms season, and even the first few days of muzzleloader season.

On rural private property there is little likelihood of being caught, but it is illegal to hunt over bait. Many will argue that it is also unethical. Generally, those that argue the ethics of baiting have no problem with food plots. :dunno: I don't know of anyone that has a problem with baiting for fish. Also, there are states that allow hunting over bait. The hunters I know in those states see no problem with the ethics of it. I leave ethics between you and your Maker. As for myself, I do not and will not bait; I prefer a challenge.

Tandor

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 4, 2011
    Chesterton
    Thanks all for the input, I'm not a deer hunting, 20 years ago maybe. But to have a salt lick at the edge of your property and shoot deer from your bedroom window sounds alittle to comfortable for my sporting taste and to bag 5 or 6 deer this way. I have half a mind to report this knucklehead. Gives all other hunter a bad name!

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana
    the hunting license allows you to take part in the state regulated herd management. not to just kill deer, you play by the rules or don't do it...

another question, next year will one have to put hunter orange on their house to hunt from it?

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    Nope. Not unless you mind a criminal record & substantial monetary loss...oh, and there is that "ethics" thing, too.

What makes me a criminal in indiana makes me a regular guy out hunting in Texas.

Ethics are up to the individual. If we're just "harvesting" deer, like we would cattle, then it doesn't matter how they get dead.

If we're hunting deer as a sport (which it appears we are) then I'm just breaking the rules of the game.

I'm not commenting on the way things ARE, just talking a little philosophy. Taking a step back and asking "why is the law the way it is, should it be the way it is?"

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    the hunting license allows you to take part in the state regulated herd management. not to just kill deer, you play by the rules or don't do it...

another question, next year will one have to put hunter orange on their house to hunt from it?

We're not talking about "just killing deer" we're talking about how mature deer are killed during hunting season.

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    in the first part of the 1900's indiana allowed high power rifles & baiting was common, the deer herd was wiped out.
    the deer you see today was brought in from PA ..

They also didn't have limits or hunting licenses.

Philosophically....

If you kill 9 deer (limit in Hendricks county this year I believe) with a 12 gauge and no bait, or with bait and .308, does it really matter in the end?

Is the baiting and firearm restrictions meant to reduce the amount of poached deer then? If so, why are poachers complying with bait and firearm laws, but not license laws?

:dunno:

doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana
    unfortunately poachers don't follow the rules.
    but 2 years ago somewhere around 148k deer where taken with regular permits, and less than 20k were taken on reduction permits. If they allowed baiting many more would be taken and the herd would suffer.

jmiller676

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    18 feet up
    What makes me a criminal in indiana makes me a regular guy out hunting in Texas.

Ethics are up to the individual. If we're just "harvesting" deer, like we would cattle, then it doesn't matter how they get dead.

If we're hunting deer as a sport (which it appears we are) then I'm just breaking the rules of the game.

I'm not commenting on the way things ARE, just talking a little philosophy. Taking a step back and asking "why is the law the way it is, should it be the way it is?"

Should the law be that way? no. Would I ever bait even if legal? no.

Top Bottom