• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    unfortunately poachers don't follow the rules.
    but 2 years ago somewhere around 148k deer where taken with regular permits, and less than 20k were taken on reduction permits. If they allowed baiting many more would be taken and the herd would suffer.

I thought that's why they had limits.

If the DNR only wants 175k deer killed, then only issue that many licenses.

No problem.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana
    the idea is to give more people a chance at taking a deer..
    if they just limit the # of permits and allow baiting then the cost to hunt will skyrocket..

think about how many people have trouble finding private land to hunt on..
    If the per person limit was lower, and the season longer more people would get a chance to go out..

walbertb13

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2011
    I agree with ATOMonkey in questioning why there are certain rules and regulations. For instance, if we, as hunters, are allowed to kill deer, why should it matter what caliber of cartridge we use? The reason is that there is a lot of "bargaining and politics" involved in creating hunting laws. Yes, I believe some counties should be allowed to use high power rifles, while others shouldn't. Michigan has had a great return with a similar strategy. In saying that, if you are desperate for food to feed your family, I see no problem in killing a deer anyway you can. But, if you are hunting for the sport or trying to kill a trophy buck, make it a challenge. Don't cheat yourself or other hunters. Sure, I can set some apples and a slat lick in my backyard, open my living room window, and turn on my spotlights...I can bet you I would shoot a great buck doing this. Is this really HUNTING though? With modern McDonaldization, we can go buy the food we need, so hunting has become pure sport. That is why there are regulations and laws put in place. If I was allowed to take my AR out and jump in my truck and chase deer, yeah I could be a great "hunter." The challenge needs to be part of the hunt!!

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana
    because the state sells more permits than deer taken.. if they go for a one to one system the cost per permit will go up, and they may have to go to a lottery for issuing them.. so you might pay $ and not get to even to in the field..
    Landowners would have to get permits also, so someone who owns land might not get to hunt his own land.. so he might be more likely to only lease for $ and not let some hunt for free..

itstheKman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 17, 2011
    Waaaay Southwestern Indiana
    I have a quick question about baiting:
    We hunt on our farm ground and during firearm season we are done with the harvesting. The fields we hunt around were usually previously planted with soybeans. Would it be considered baiting if we left some areas close to where the stands are un-cut?

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana
    if it is growing, it is not bait.. if you harvest the beans and pour them out somewhere else that is baiting.. if it is the by product of agricultural work it is not baiting.. salt blocks for cattle are not bait when in field with cattle....
    corn spilt from combine is not bait..

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    no, that's not baiting at all

I know guys that will drop mineral blocks in a area in front of a trail cam. If they get good deer on film, they will go back later and plant a little food plot to replace the mineral block.

williamrights

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 17, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    walbertb13. How do you justify saying that hunting from your house is unsafe. I know a gentleman with a heart condition that that was the only way his doctor would let him hunt deer. His condition no longer afforded him the luxury of going into the field so he would sit in his rocking chair and get one of many deer that used his front yard to go between the fields on one side and the trees on the other. He was never injured and neither was anyone else. He did this for many years intil he passed. It was all legal and above board.

walbertb13

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2011
    @ williamrights...justify it? We are talking about someone sitting inside their house with a loaded gun...its just asking for trouble. When I said, "...let it be known it is not safe, and all of the same hunting rules apply...you would probably get in trouble anyways, just because it is very unsafe...so please tell your friend to stop." I was relating this to the fact that someone was sitting in there house with a loaded weapon, just waiting to shoot something. Not to mention there are a lot of distractions surrounding you that aren't present in a tree stand. Now when you talk about the gentleman who hunted from his house...I say hell yeah! I was referring to those ABLE body hunters who think that hunting out of their homes will make the hunt easier. On top of this, the original topic was about someone baiting AND hunting over the spot from their house. I just don't see the sport in it...in your friend's case he was unable to go out to hunt. He was stubborn and was not gonna let his health condition keep him from hunting. I applaud this.

Tandor

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 4, 2011
    Chesterton
    @walbert, I agree it should be for sport, but this knucklehead I'm talking about is able he's just not right in the head, the man is broke and there is no fixing STUPID!

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana
    A good hunter inside a house is no more unsafe than in a hunting blind.. in fact it might be safer because the hunter could be more comfortable, hands would stay warm, not up in a tree falling asleep.. and so on..

wildhare

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I think it's a dumb law. What should be wrong with a guy wanting to draw deer in closer? If you can keep them on your property and get closer, better shots then why not? Not saying I would or wouldn't do it but with all the corn and soybean fields around. I do put out mineral for them through the late winter early spring when they need the nutrition.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    You want meat … get meat. Buy a license. Eat venison. Have a nice day.

AMEN!!

I'm all for the sportsman who wants to be true to the sport, film his hunt, do it for the challenge of taking game. The real hardcore badasses are still using traditional bows and wooden arrows.

I'm also for those who want to "eat meat".

My biggest complaint would be how we can tell a LANDOWNER how he can or can not hunt on his own property.

Ricnzak

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    Noblesville
    My dad was always a big hunter. He took best in state with a pistol two years. As he got older he got out of it for a few years then one day calls me and says he just shot a deer with his pistol. I asked him what got him back into hunting and his reply was: "The SOB was eating all the good apples that are easy to reach off my tree. Got my gun and shot him from the porch."

I know it's somewhat off topic but I still laugh about a 73 year old guy getting mad about his apple tree being violated.

I do remember about dad talking about people burying water softener salt in holes and then watering it down. There used to be a bunch of people who would take deer any way they wanted at any time when I was growing up. They did it for food. It took years before I realized some of the reasons it was illegal might have bearing.

Top Bottom