• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Purdue1991

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 19, 2022
    So I am going to say this right out of the gate, in case what I am asking sounds stupid. But I have Never gone hunting a day in my life. With Dog food being kind of pricey right now I am thinking of taking a deer or two. Not bragging just saying my Rifle Marksman skills are well above average.

With that being said head shots are not going to be an issue. We are talking relatively short distance here, maybe 30 to 40 yards. And it would be on our property and the section I would be hunting in would be in what I like to call the salad bowl its at the base of a massive hill.

With that being said what would you recommend for Caliber and Rifle?

Thanks

I'm a deer hunter. I understand you think your plan is sound. As a hunter, I would suggest that it's not.

We live in Southern Indiana and had a home on 10 acres within a wooded area behind us. The neighbor apparently tried a head shot. It entered below the eye and exited in the same area on the other side of her head. The reason I know this is because this deer came over to our property still alive with blood running down its jaw. It put the deer thru misery for a period of time. I've never been so pissed at another hunter in my life. She recovered because we saw her off and on for the next year with the bullet entry wound still visible.

Do the right and humane thing and take a lung shot. You may be a great marksman. But shooting at a live animal is different than shooting at a target. That's all I'm going to say...

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    I'm a deer hunter. I understand you think your plan is sound. As a hunter, I would suggest that it's not.

We live in Southern Indiana and had a home on 10 acres within a wooded area behind us. The neighbor apparently tried a head shot. It entered below the eye and exited in the same area on the other side of her head. The reason I know this is because this deer came over to our property still alive with blood running down its jaw. It put the deer thru misery for a period of time. I've never been so pissed at another hunter in my life. She recovered because we saw her off and on for the next year with the bullet entry wound still visible.

Do the right and humane thing and take a lung shot. You may be a great marksman. But shooting at a live animal is different than shooting at a target. That's all I'm going to say...
    The humane part didnt happen twice.

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    Never had one that my sons or I shot in the head walk away, bang dead.
    Hit a buck with my 10,000 lb dually at 55mph, found him the next afternoon in a neighbors bean field a 1/2 mile away.
    Bet he would have picked being shot in the head instead of that Ford bumper with a languishing death.
    Ive seen deer run hundreds of yards with no blood pressure and one lung.
    But yet to some thats " Ethical "
    The hit placement is important. Maybe you need to sight in that dually again. I hit one with a Honda Accord and after the deer landed it didn't move an inch. :)

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    Why do you believe this is an argument?

And why do a few here think that good discussion is an argument?

I was just talking to my older brother about this, he said our dad was taught as a kid to shoot them in the head and nothing gets wasted. He tought his sons that and I taught my sons that.
    All the years we've butcher hogs and cows and two buffalo we dont shoot them in the heart - lungs. We shoot them in the head to put them down and then cut the throat to make sure its painless and drains quickly.
    It is the internet I believe the lack of feeling and emotion in the words gives it a negative feeling regardless of how you’re thinking the message conveys.

And yes I agree I put down ALOT of animals and I do a headshot with a knife following but the knife is key.

Edited to add: if you haven’t seen talladega nights….. the argument is a big joke so was kinda saying that about us arguing online. All in good fun.

Last edited:

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    524182b1ea40d4e8bb4509be3a15d6bea99a8dff0d0d7b9d0981b41ef45e7475_1.jpg

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    I could not have said it better myself.

It all comes down to training, and experience And diligent practice to keep proficient. I am in The camp if you are going harvest a deer you need to do it in the fastest most humane way possible.
    Let me preface this by saying that absolutely no offense is intended nor do I intend to discourage you from taking up hunting, however, you stated that you have absolutely no experience hunting and yet you've set out a plan, are even arguing for parts of it, and the only question you have is about the caliber to use? Caliber discussions are often fun but caliber selection is way down the list on things you should be asking. IMO, you're on a path to learn a lot of tough lessons the hard way when you don't have to. There's plenty you're going to learn the hard way anyway without adding to it, just like the rest of us did and still are.

It's already been mentioned but I'll reiterate, it doesn't matter how good of a shot you are on targets on a range, shooting live animals in their element is a whole different thing. Making a clean, quick kill is about far more than marksmanship. You need to be able to read the deer's body language to even know when to try to take the shot, especially if you're planning on being as close as 30-40 yards. Do you know to look for and how to spot potential obstructions in the path of the bullet between you and where you're likely to get a shot? Do you know to plan and mentally rehearse all potential shots beforehand so that you're not surprised by an opportunity? Can you reliably estimate 30-40 yards, have you practiced it or do you have a plan to figure out the distance if not? Do you know that you will need to not only sight in your rifle exactly for that distance but also know exactly where it is hitting everywhere along the way if you insist on shooting at such a small target? These are just some examples of things you need to think about and think about well beforehand not at the moment of truth.

We're 4 pages in and no one has even mentioned what I believe to be the biggest flaw in your plan yet. You stated that the area you intend to hunt is a bowl at the base of a massive hill. You also stated that intend to be within 30-40 yards of them when you shoot, meaning you will likely either be in the bowl with them or near the base of the hill? The problem here is that the wind tends to swirl in low lying areas and other areas sheltered from direct air flow. This causes the wind to move in unexpected directions and in unpredictable ways. Meaning that the deer, if they've experienced any hunting pressure at all, will likely detect you and flee before giving you a shot or will be extremely wary and unlikely to give much time to setup and take the shot. Better to setup for a longer shot with a predictable wind direction on animals that are unaware. Stay out of low lying areas in hilly terrain. This is a mistake I see even experienced hunters make over and over again.

Again, I do not type all of this to discourage you or to belittle your plans. I hope you take up hunting and are successful. I also hope you reconsider some parts of your plan and consider other things that you apparently have not considered yet and incorporate them into your plans.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    Let me preface this by saying that absolutely no offense is intended nor do I intend to discourage you from taking up hunting, however, you stated that you have absolutely no experience hunting and yet you've set out a plan, are even arguing for parts of it, and the only question you have is about the caliber to use? Caliber discussions are often fun but caliber selection is way down the list on things you should be asking. IMO, you're on a path to learn a lot of tough lessons the hard way when you don't have to. There's plenty you're going to learn the hard way anyway without adding to it, just like the rest of us did and still are.

So help me understand exactly what I am going to learn the hard way? Not being argumentative just wondering?
    It's already been mentioned but I'll reiterate, it doesn't matter how good of a shot you are on targets on a range, shooting live animals in their element is a whole different thing.

So I am detecting an assumption here. it appears you are insinuating that my experience is restricted to punching holes in paper targets. ?
    Also their element is also my element, I am out there daily, as circumstances dictate that all kids are accounted for and everyone is where they should be.

Making a clean, quick kill is about far more than marksmanship. You need to be able to read the deer's body language to even know when to try to take the shot, especially if you're planning on being as close as 30-40 yards. Do you know to look for and how to spot potential obstructions in the path of the bullet between you and where you're likely to get a shot?

Ok seriously we are talking our pasture here! Pretty sure I am aware of our pasture and it’s vast areas of nothing.
    Do you know to plan and mentally rehearse all potential shots beforehand so that you're not surprised by an opportunity? Can you reliably estimate 30-40 yards,

Yes I have a measuring wheel, it has a digital read out that records distance, we purchased one to help estimate the amount of fencing we would need when we were cross fencing. Sure beats dragging a 100 foot tape measure and marking all point between and adding everything up to get your distance, plus the wheel is a lot faster and more accurate.
    have you practiced it or do you have a plan to figure out the distance if not? Do you know that you will need to not only sight in your rifle exactly for that distance but also know exactly where it is hitting everywhere along the way if you insist on shooting at such a small target?
    Well to be honest yes I practice once a week both Long Gun and Handgun. Our range is situated so that we have capabilities of shooting out to approximately 1000 feet. Not bragging but hard work and making sound financial decisions pays off.
    Ah yes I am more than capable of calculating trajectory and projectile drop. Additionally I am confused about about your question? Hitting everywhere along the way? POA=POI there,is nothing to hit along the way. Additionally small is a relative term.

These are just some examples of things you need to think about and think about well beforehand not at the moment of truth.

We're 4 pages in and no one has even mentioned what I believe to be the biggest flaw in your plan yet. You stated that the area you intend to hunt is a bowl at the base of a massive hill. You also stated that intend to be within 30-40 yards of them when you shoot, meaning you will likely either be in the bowl with them or near the base of the hill? The problem here is that the wind tends to swirl in low lying areas and other areas sheltered from direct air flow.
    We are not in a low lying area and wind conditions are consistently calm. Locals refer areas around the mountains and ridges as a bowl it is not necessarily a circular concave area. And the area we are referring to is about 40 acres. That being said wind conditions are not consistent with being in South Dakota or even parts of Indiana for that matter.

I am fairly sure additionally setting up for a longer shot is not optimal. Not understanding why I would take a longer shot then required? Given our set up and topography it makes no sense to set up for a longer shot as you put it. The area in question is beyond all cross fencing and obstruction free, that is why I have my range out there. Not the most convenient however it is the most practical.

This causes the wind to move in unexpected directions and in unpredictable ways. Meaning that the deer, if they've experienced any hunting pressure at all, will likely detect you and flee before giving you a shot or will be extremely wary and unlikely to give much time to setup and take the shot. Better to setup for a longer shot with a predictable wind direction on animals that are unaware. Stay out of low lying areas in hilly terrain. This is a mistake I see even experienced hunters make over and over again.

Again, I do not type all of this to discourage you or to belittle your plans. I hope you take up hunting and are successful. I also hope you reconsider some parts of your plan and consider other things that you apparently have not considered yet and incorporate them into your plans.

Last edited:

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    Well if the only thing in question then is caliber, seems you have everything else figured out. You can literally use ANY legal caliber at 30-40yds that is bow range.

jy951

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Feb 18, 2009
    I'd recommend 300 win mag with open sights for your application. Solid copper bullets. About any bolt gun will work.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    Are we really arguing about this lol a deer head…. Is a smaller target then the vitals. So….. it is a harder target to hit. not saying people don’t miss but you have to look at the probability.

there Is a reason targets are different sizes in competitions.

not telling you what to do you guys asked why people are against headshots. Even trappers shoot in the vitals.
    What trappers? Coons get headshots. Red fox, just put a foot on his chest til his heart quits. No pelt damage. Muskrat are dead when you get them. Coyote behind the ear.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    What trappers? Coons get headshots. Red fox, just put a foot on his chest til his heart quits. No pelt damage. Muskrat are dead when you get them. Coyote behind the ear.
    Personally my boys and myself have never had a problem making head shots. Its the occasional other that get twisted up.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree

It's already been mentioned but I'll reiterate, it doesn't matter how good of a shot you are on targets on a range, shooting live animals in their element is a whole different thing. Making a clean, quick kill is about far more than marksmanship. You need to be able to read the deer's body language to even know when to try to take the shot, especially if you're planning on being as close as 30-40 yards. Do you know to look for and how to spot potential obstructions in the path of the bullet between you and where you're likely to get a shot? Do you know to plan and mentally rehearse all potential shots beforehand so that you're not surprised by an opportunity? Can you reliably estimate 30-40 yards, have you practiced it or do you have a plan to figure out the distance if not? Do you know that you will need to not only sight in your rifle exactly for that distance but also know exactly where it is hitting everywhere along the way if you insist on shooting at such a small target? These are just some examples of things you need to think about and think about well beforehand not at the moment of truth.

We're 4 pages in and no one has even mentioned what I believe to be the biggest flaw in your plan yet. You stated that the area you intend to hunt is a bowl at the base of a massive hill. You also stated that intend to be within 30-40 yards of them when you shoot, meaning you will likely either be in the bowl with them or near the base of the hill? The problem here is that the wind tends to swirl in low lying areas and other areas sheltered from direct air flow. This causes the wind to move in unexpected directions and in unpredictable ways. Meaning that the deer, if they've experienced any hunting pressure at all, will likely detect you and flee before giving you a shot or will be extremely wary and unlikely to give much time to setup and take the shot. Better to setup for a longer shot with a predictable wind direction on animals that are unaware. Stay out of low lying areas in hilly terrain. This is a mistake I see even experienced hunters make over and over again.

TL;DR

Top Bottom