• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    While headshots would kill a deer outright, hitting the shot ethically seems to be less efficient than going for the lungs/heart. Especially when it comes time to make the shot
    One has to rule out being prone to getting buck fever first. It doesn't matter how good a shot you think you are on paper if you lose it when sighting on a deer. Some people get so shaky they are lucky to draw blood - or unlucky as the case may be - depending on their tracking skills.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    While headshots would kill a deer outright, hitting the shot ethically seems to be less efficient than going for the lungs/heart. Especially when it comes time to make the shot
    Guess I am missing something? I guess I do not have the hunter mentality or buck fever as stated next thread down.

My only concern was to make sure it was lights out. Which was not an issue. One shot dropped him where he stood. No chasing after him just taking the tractor out there getting him in the loader.

Now we have a good amount of venison for our LGD’s. Additionally we now have a stock of bones for them as well. Little to no waste when it was all said and done.

diver dan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    DeMotte
    It happened to me once when I first started out,was about 35yrs old , and a deer appeared out of no where , I thought.Figured it out though , I looked at ground and looked up , and there he was , I froze at first as I was on a little hill in a very small patch of woods. He hopped over a set of tracks from the other side , and THATS how he magically appeared.My heart started pounding and my arms and hands were shaking , I never really thought I would get a chance at a big live deer.At that point I never even took a shot , but just watched as he grazed and disappeared again.I was awe struck.PS I am better now thank you.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    So I am going to say this right out of the gate, in case what I am asking sounds stupid. But I have Never gone hunting a day in my life. With Dog food being kind of pricey right now I am thinking of taking a deer or two. Not bragging just saying my Rifle Marksman skills are well above average.

With that being said head shots are not going to be an issue. We are talking relatively short distance here, maybe 30 to 40 yards. And it would be on our property and the section I would be hunting in would be in what I like to call the salad bowl its at the base of a massive hill.

With that being said what would you recommend for Caliber and Rifle?

Thanks
    At that range nothing less than a 338 Lapua Magnum. :lmfao:

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    20221203_161732.jpg
    This is my hunting spot.
    4 deer trails converge just below me, and they stay on it for about 30 yards then it branches off into 3 deer trails.
    My range is 50yds and that's a long shot for this area. Over to my right out of the main picture I can reach out to 75yds but it's just a small window and it's got to be perfect.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I've seen one young doe thus far into muzzleloading season. At 1730 approximately. She wasn't worth shooting hopefully another year or two.
    I dusted off my trail camera to see what is going on. Plenty of tracks, but nothing in shooting hours.
    Trail camera picked up 12 deer through the night they started moving towards the fields around 2000, and came back through between 0130, and 0530 the last one caught on the camera.

Top Bottom