• Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    We live 30 miles north of Wilmington and 40 miles from coast. It looks like we could be in the direct path. We are going to ride this storm out but have done extensive prep. All windows are boarded uo with 5/8 plywood and everything outside has been stored away. Two generators ready to go with 55 gallons of gas at ready and a 3rd backup generator. We have two wells on the property and one of them with has a hand pump.
    Daughter's family live in Surf City and are only 3 - 4 miles from coast and really in danger. They are evacuating either to here or farther away depending on the path of the storm.
    We live near the N.E. Cape Fear river and flood waters got to within 50 feet of the house in 2016 after hurricane Mathew. We have had no rain for the past 3 weeks so right now I don't think we have flooding as bad as Mathew.
    We went out tonight and are suprised that we are the only house that has boarded up. I may have over prepped but I'll take that over under prepared anyday.

Stay safe, my friend!

Can we stop heaping “first responder” hero praise on these guys? They make triple rate a lot of times and are profit driven. It’s capitalism. Do we cheer the stores for being open at midnight on black Friday?

and we need to abolish the “anti price gouging” laws in these areas. It assures empty shelves

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...-for-hurricane-payday-adventure-idUSKCN1BK0PP

Yep. I had to make a run to our Columbus site and I passed two separate convoys of tree trimmers headed out on my way back to town. And I personally reserve "first responder" status to folks like utility contractors on loan (IPL, Duke, etc), TF1, IGR, and other SAR groups. Everyone else doing heavy lifting moving giant carbon masses out of the way are great, but not heroic. Now folks like the Cajun Navy on the other hand... those are non NGOs that rock. They are there burning their own fuel gettin it done.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Just cancelled a trip to Savannah next week...no need getting all my folks traveling counter flow and then possibly joining the masses.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    FAIL! Total non-starter. BORING! I wonder if Costco will take back the 100 pallets of water I bought options on? It’s a sad day when a guy can’t speculate profits on the Mother of ALL Storms.

Right? People used to buy semi trailers of generators and sell them for cash 100% markup in FL after storms. Everyone was happy. Except .gov who confiscated them for “price gouging” and then no one got generators :xmad:

oh, and 110mph and no more talk of a “major” hurricane

olhorseman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    Middle of nowhere NC
    We live 30 miles north of Wilmington and 40 miles from coast. It looks like we could be in the direct path. We are going to ride this storm out but have done extensive prep. All windows are boarded uo with 5/8 plywood and everything outside has been stored away. Two generators ready to go with 55 gallons of gas at ready and a 3rd backup generator. We have two wells on the property and one of them with has a hand pump.
    Daughter's family live in Surf City and are only 3 - 4 miles from coast and really in danger. They are evacuating either to here or farther away depending on the path of the storm.
    We live near the N.E. Cape Fear river and flood waters got to within 50 feet of the house in 2016 after hurricane Mathew. We have had no rain for the past 3 weeks so right now I don't think we have flooding as bad as Mathew.
    We went out tonight and are suprised that we are the only house that has boarded up. I may have over prepped but I'll take that over under prepared anyday.
    The latest update shows the eye passing just south of our property. Unfortunately being to the right of the path means the heaviest rain and strongest winds. This storm is moving slow now so this will be a 2-3 day event.
    Current predictions for the level of the river near us shows us getting water covering almost our entire 26 acres and in our garages and just covering the floor of our cabin. I still think this will be revised down to a point it may get in our crawlspace and floor of garages but not in the cabin.
    If the predictions hold true I will have to evacuate the horses out after the winds die down by walking them through the waters (not flowing but river bank flooding). The horses do have the highest point of elevation on our property. A stables 2 miles away will take them.
    The winds here are expected to peak <100 mph but will be much less because are property is very wooded. Our cabin is incredibly sturdy and we will be safe in the cabin during the storm. The flood level peaks 1 to 2 days after wind dies down. It will be a small window of opportunity to prep the place for flooding and us evacuate vehicles and equipment, dogs, and us.

Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw
    The latest update shows the eye passing just south of our property. Unfortunately being to the right of the path means the heaviest rain and strongest winds. This storm is moving slow now so this will be a 2-3 day event.
    Current predictions for the level of the river near us shows us getting water covering almost our entire 26 acres and in our garages and just covering the floor of our cabin. I still think this will be revised down to a point it may get in our crawlspace and floor of garages but not in the cabin.
    If the predictions hold true I will have to evacuate the horses out after the winds die down by walking them through the waters (not flowing but river bank flooding). The horses do have the highest point of elevation on our property. A stables 2 miles away will take them.
    The winds here are expected to peak <100 mph but will be much less because are property is very wooded. Our cabin is incredibly sturdy and we will be safe in the cabin during the storm. The flood level peaks 1 to 2 days after wind dies down. It will be a small window of opportunity to prep the place for flooding and us evacuate vehicles and equipment, dogs, and us.

Good luck on finishing your preps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SwikLS

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 26, 2015
    The Bunker
    Looking at the Senate schedule, once Florence hooks around she should be passing through DC right about the time the Kavanaugh nom is confirmed.

So I can't help but wonder if Soro's paid hysteria brigade will be supplied with raincoats and umbrellas.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    And of course...keep watching...because they needed some drama to keep folks glued to their screens. (Of course, hurricane force winds can keep you glued to different screens in different ways)

Top Bottom