• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hpclayto

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   1
    Nov 8, 2008
    I bought 2. The first one, an LCP, was simply to show people how crappy little .380s really are. It is a miserable piece of ....... Then the G42 followed me home because I wife was looking for something smaller then her Kimber. Dang if those two didn’t meet in my safe and a third one showed up a couple of weeks ago. Wife saw the front of American Rifleman and said this looks interesting, buy one so I can shoot it.

Get an LCP 2. About 1000x better than the original. It's actually shootable and has a nice trigger. I can't get carrying a 42 with the negligible difference in size compared to the 43. The LCP 2 is just tiny and my gym short gun. Is it ideal? No. Is it better than a sharpened stick? Yes.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Get an LCP 2. About 1000x better than the original. It's actually shootable and has a nice trigger. I can't get carrying a 42 with the negligible difference in size compared to the 43. The LCP 2 is just tiny and my gym short gun. Is it ideal? No. Is it better than a sharpened stick? Yes.

Appreciate the comment. I started this thread as a fun way to have little gun banter among friends. Those that know me well also know I have a particular distain for pocket .380s. But helping in a retail shop and working with novice shooters on the range I also have to be conscientious of what is out there and what the consumer is purchasing.

Never warmed up to the LCP2, the trigger system makes me nervous as a pocket gun. Also the gun is more squared off and more snaggy then the original LCP. That said I would never, ever, not even consider carrying an LCP as my only gun. Please don’t take offense but if given the choice between an LCP and a sharpened stick I would first evaluate the quality and heft of said stick. I have seen .380 FMJ fail to penetrate a pine 2x4 when fired from a 2.75” barrel. I have seen and heard of other similar real life examples. LCP, TCP, KelTec, Sig238 all a no go for me.

Glock 42 with good sights and a Pierce +1 is the absolute minimum I would ever consider. Even this is pushing it in my mind. Loaded with 8 rounds Hornady XTP or Federal HST it might fight above its weight class. This or a JFrame with good quality ammunition is about as small as a person can get in the size vs power compromise. I would throw the G43 into this mix as well, they are impressive little guns.

G42 vs G43. Guys there is not much difference but there is a difference. G42 is ever so slightly but noticeably smaller and quite a bit easier to handle. Keep in mind I bought this gun for my lefty wife who has arthritic, injured hands. Truth is I like shooting the G42 more then a G43 which is not hard to handle but can be a bit of a handful.

I recently picked up a Shield EZ to evaluate and see if it is something I would recommend. It is an interesting little gun. I might do a review once I have more time with it.

HoosierLife

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    Greenwood

Do the mags from the original fit the 2?

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Well I have to eat crow. I have it on good authority that an LCP makes a good calf killer. So if you stick it between their eyes it will put them down.

metaldog

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 31, 2013
    Indy
    Hey guys! Been a while since I posted anything, but I figured "what the heck".

YES, this Fathers Day was a scorcher! My family decided to treat all of us for Father's Day to a weekend camping trip at Shades State Park. Trust me, camping in this heat was not very fun. But it was shaded, so it wasn't terrible. I think I lost a few pounds from sweating so much!

I usually carry a 1911, but since we were in a state park I decided to go with my .380 instead. A SIG 238 in a Tagua pocket holster tucked into my back pocket. Again, as said before, an untucked t-shirt covers nicely.

My wife was sitting at the picnic table of our campsite reading the park rules. She handed it to me (thinking I would need to leave it in the vehicle) and told me to read the firearm clause. This is what it said:

• Any firearm (except validly licensed handguns), BB gun, air gun, CO2 gun, bow and arrow, or spear gun in possession in a state park must be unloaded or un-nocked and stored in a case or locked within a vehicle, except when the owner is participating in an activity authorized by written permit.
    After reading it, I handed the rules sheet back & said, "I'm good. Thanks." So, thankfully, due to state laws, I didn't need to leave the handgun at home or in the vehicle. We had a great time in spite of the hot weather. :)

mdunn

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2010
    Glock-schmock, I’ve carry my Taurus 709 slim in my front pant pocket for years, have fired countless rounds of various bullet weights and profiles without a single failure and paid less than $200 for it at Rural King.

tcecil88

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 18, 2013
    @ the corner of IN, KY & OH.
    I have carried my G42 in a pocket holster for 3 years or so. It is what I can get away with during the day while the G17 sits in the truck. I have just shy of 2,000 rounds through it and with the exception of a couple shooter induced malfs it has been trouble free. I have Trijicon HD sights and a TLR6 installed and various other upgrades. It shoots where I point it with most ammo and I carry Hornady American Gunner 90 gr. XTP with a couple spare mags. I traded my LCP in on it and never looked back. That said, I shoot my S&W 340PD just as well if not better, so it's a toss up as to what I'll carry this summer to back up the G26 when not at work.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I have carried my G42 in a pocket holster for 3 years or so. It is what I can get away with during the day while the G17 sits in the truck. I have just shy of 2,000 rounds through it and with the exception of a couple shooter induced malfs it has been trouble free. I have Trijicon HD sights and a TLR6 installed and various other upgrades. It shoots where I point it with most ammo and I carry Hornady American Gunner 90 gr. XTP with a couple spare mags. I traded my LCP in on it and never looked back. That said, I shoot my S&W 340PD just as well if not better, so it's a toss up as to what I'll carry this summer to back up the G26 when not at work.

This is insightful feedback. Is the G42 the closest semiauto Pistol replacement for the venerable JFrame? IMO it just might be.

Top Bottom