I can't believe it finally happened.....

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I'd like to hear about rural internet options from those who have experience. Fortunately we do have a solid Verizon 4g LTE signal at the house but we'll need something more I suspect.

We've been on Dish internet pretty much since it came out. If you've got an un-capped data plan with Verizon, you might have to stick with them. We don't get very good cell reception where we live so cell phone data isn't a very good choice. (And even though we're on an "unlimited" data plan through ATT, it's really not). Dish and now the Hughes Net-Gen 5 systems, while still saddled with satellite internet quirks, at least don't have data caps. They do throttle you down after a certain data limit but they don't charge you extra as you keep on going. (FWIW, we recently upgraded from Dish to the Hughes Net you see advertised on TV. It is faster, most of the time but it's still a inferior product to a quality, land based system).

Check with your REMC too. I'm assuming you'll be on REMC power. Jackson County REMC has an active program going on in their service area to bring fiber-broadband to all of their customers that want it. I'm on Orange County REMC and they've just announced the start of their fiber program. So, maybe you'll get lucky and your REMC will have it out there already.

A friend of mine's daughter and her family just moved out to a rural part around Greenfield. They're basically in the middle of a corn field and thought they were doomed to cell or dish internet. But the local cable company up there had fiber already out there -- so there again, you might get lucky.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    Wow, it looks like a beautiful house and property.

We used to rent an old farmhouse in a very secluded area with a big old barn on the property and after 20 years, I still get homesick when I think about that place.

You talked about bat houses and Purple Martin houses; One thing I did at our place was to put a Kestrel box up on the east side of our barn. It was very cool to watch the Kestrels diving on mice in the pasture, and when the young ones started to fly, it was fun to watch them play and dive-bomb each other. With nesting sites being scarce for them, I'd very much guarantee that you will get a pair if you put up a good box in the right spot on your barn.

Last edited:

Hoosier Carry

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2012
    In the Woods
    3 things:

-congrats

-
    I can't wait to get some martin houses and bat houses put up and see if we can cram the property with as many bug eating critters as possible.
    you should look into a mosquito trap. There was a thread here last year about them. I got one and would buy another. Has made a huge difference.

-can I bowhunt your woods?:):

MRockwell

Just Me
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Noblesfield
    I'd like to hear about rural internet options from those who have experience. Fortunately we do have a solid Verizon 4g LTE signal at the house but we'll need something more I suspect.

I think BridgeMaxx is in that area: Our Towns - BridgeMAXX
    I have used them for several years, only have the 3MBPS. It has always worked for what I needed. It can be slow at times, but I think that is normal for rural broadband.
    Some friends had their 6MBPS, for netflix and such, and they got fed up with the lack of service and went to Frontier. I can ask them for more detailed info if needed.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I think BridgeMaxx is in that area: Our Towns - BridgeMAXX
    I have used them for several years, only have the 3MBPS. It has always worked for what I needed. It can be slow at times, but I think that is normal for rural broadband.
    Some friends had their 6MBPS, for netflix and such, and they got fed up with the lack of service and went to Frontier. I can ask them for more detailed info if needed.

I'd appreciate it. We're 85% moved in so I'll be needing something in the coming weeks.

Jtrain

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2016
    Fountain county
    We just recently bought 26 acres in a extremely rural area and our pretty much only option was satellite internet. We went with viasat, which so far works really well

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Thanks guys. There's a small piece of land across the road that I've heard the owner wants to sell so I'm planning to look into that. I'd like to grow the woods a bit in the bottom left corner of the last pic I posted. We're planning a 2 acre fenced horse pasture around the barn and a large garden as well. I'm hoping to plant some fruit trees next year, just haven't decided where yet.
    May I recommend you make that horse pasture two smaller horse pastures. That will allow you to rotate your horse(s) between them and let the grass recover. Horses will keep eating their favorite spots until the grass is gone if they are able.

MRockwell

Just Me
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Noblesfield
    I'd appreciate it. We're 85% moved in so I'll be needing something in the coming weeks.

Here is what they told me:
    "So far I am fairly happy with frontier. It is no slower than Bridgemaxx and the thing I appreciate is when you call for support you get connected with a tech 24-7 and they do their best to help you. If it is something they can't fix they send someone out the next day.

A year ago last May we were out of service for half the month. Took them 2 weeks to get someone out here and we still had problems. (Bridgemaxx)

There is a new isp out of Noblesville called On-Ramp and another one out of Marion called Midwest High Speed Rural Internet. They both have Facebook pages and offer speed but you pay the price."

I googled On-Ramp (Wireless), and it looks like they are in the NE part of the county, and their prices are better than what I have.
    The only thing I could find when googling Midwest High Speed Rural Internet was their facebook page.

olhorseman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    Middle of nowhere NC
    May I recommend you make that horse pasture two smaller horse pastures. That will allow you to rotate your horse(s) between them and let the grass recover. Horses will keep eating their favorite spots until the grass is gone if they are able.
    This. If the grass is really thick and rich, I would section one area to make a small (<1/4 acre) dry lot to turn the horses out in in the spring. Horses can founder, colic, and other sicknesses when turned out on rich grass in the spring. Ease them onto the full pasture a couple of hours at a time starting in late spring.

Top Bottom