I can't believe it finally happened.....

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    This. If the grass is really thick and rich, I would section one area to make a small (<1/4 acre) dry lot to turn the horses out in in the spring. Horses can founder, colic, and other sicknesses when turned out on rich grass in the spring. Ease them onto the full pasture a couple of hours at a time starting in late spring.
    True. We have a mud lot for all those times we don't put them on the pasture. That covers late fall through early spring, as well as anytime it is too wet. They can really tear the grass up with their running and sliding.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Thanks for the advice on the internet and horses. I barely know the hooves from the tail but my daughter has a passion for them and my wife is educating herself more all the time. If things work out as planned I'll be tilling, planting and perhaps begin fencing in the pasture(s) this fall once we sell our old house.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Thanks for the advice on the internet and horses. I barely know the hooves from the tail but my daughter has a passion for them and my wife is educating herself more all the time. If things work out as planned I'll be tilling, planting and perhaps begin fencing in the pasture(s) this fall once we sell our old house.
    Well, welcome to the horse club. I married into horses. My wife loves them. Let's say I would never ask her to choose between them and me. :):

If you ever have questions, feel free to PM me. They are beautiful animals, as well as being a lot of work and costly.

olhorseman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    Middle of nowhere NC
    I have put in lots of fencing and I now will not dig holes for wood posts but will always drive them. Driving them sets them so well that it takes a lot of force to loosen them.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    So...
    It's an old house with old history. Realtor disclose anything? Have you guys stayed the night there yet? How are the bumps in the night?
    Friendly I hope.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Grew up on horses and I really enjoyed it. That said I own no horses, only ATVs, best of luck.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    We’ve stayed two nights so far and no bumps in the night yet. We’re still struggling to take it all in. There are several towns close which all have a lot to offer and it’s such a difference from living in Indy I’m not sure we’ve fully comprehended the magnitude of it yet. Lots of smiles around here though.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Nothing like rural living. Sometimes just sitting in a chair looking at your land or into the darkness where there are no lights is a great feeling.

olhorseman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    Middle of nowhere NC
    What do you use to drive them in?
    Hire it done. Local farmers often have post driver attachment for their tractors. You are going to have a minimum of 16 posts to drive. That is just for 4 corners and 1 gate and metal t-posts between corners. Fencing is not cheap but poor fencing can be very expensive.

CallSign Snafu

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Apr 3, 2015
    Indy
    This looks so wonderful. Congratulations! I know your feelings well on the issue of living in a metropolitan area, I feel the same way.

lovemywoods

Geek in Paradise!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Brown County
    Nice drone pics.

Let me add my congratulations to those of my fellow INGO members. The house and land look classic. I'm certain with your energy and focus the property will be transformed into whatever you decide you want it to be.

My one tiny bit of advice. It's very easy to get consumed doing improvement projects and maintenance chores....To the point that you don't take some time to sit and enjoy the place. Give yourself permission to have fun on the property on a regular basis. :)

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    Nice drone pics.

Let me add my congratulations to those of my fellow INGO members. The house and land look classic. I'm certain with your energy and focus the property will be transformed into whatever you decide you want it to be.

My one tiny bit of advice. It's very easy to get consumed doing improvement projects and maintenance chores....To the point that you don't take some time to sit and enjoy the place. Give yourself permission to have fun on the property on a regular basis. :)

This is good advice. Got to schedule some fun. I didn't mow down south this w/e. I killed some squirrels and made bread. Sat on the porch and watched the hummingbirds. The mowing and burning and bush hogging will wait.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    This is good advice. Got to schedule some fun. I didn't mow down south this w/e. I killed some squirrels and made bread. Sat on the porch and watched the hummingbirds. The mowing and burning and bush hogging will wait.

Dude-
    Please give me the recipe for your Squirrel Bread. :):

IndyGal65

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Speedway, IN
    Wow, that looks awesome! My brother and his wife live in the country in Tipton county and I love going there for the peace and quiet. I also love the night sky as you can see the stars so much better than here in good ol Speedway. Congrats!!

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    That’s a really nice place. Congratulations.

I grew up in the country and I’d love to get back to it. But to be able to work from home I need broadband. 20/5 is minimum, but now I have 300/20. I can’t get that out in the sticks. So instead of county, I have to settle for country-ish.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    That’s a really nice place. Congratulations.

I grew up in the country and I’d love to get back to it. But to be able to work from home I need broadband. 20/5 is minimum, but now I have 300/20. I can’t get that out in the sticks. So instead of county, I have to settle for country-ish.

Depending on location and what you consider "sticks", it's not the unobtainium it used to be.

https://www.jacksonconnect.net/front_end/products

Heck, I might be in the modern ages within the next few years even. My REMC has just began it's system construction.

https://orangecountyfiber.servicezones.net/Home/ServicePlan

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I appreciate all of the kind words and advice. My wife and I still can’t get our minds wrapped around the fact that this has happened. I’m sitting out back at the moment and can’t hear anything but the crickets and frogs.

Moving has has been a bit overwhelming for us as we really didn’t plan ahead, I don’t think either of us believed this was actually going to happen. Nine days in and we’re still not finished. Hopefully the old place will be cleared
    out and ready to hit the market by Wednesday. It would sure be nice to be out from under it before I have to make two mortgage payments.

Top Bottom