• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    I just watched a video of a guy that evaluated a AR 15 versus a M1A on the basis of how accurately he could shoot them while doing a mag dump at 20 yards.

I can understand a controlled pair or even three for each rifle. I don't understand the need to empty your magazine into the body of just one assailant .

I have considered myself a rifleman for well over 50 years. That means precision fire out to 500 yards. A round fired every 4-5 seconds.

Please educate me. What is the purpose of a mag dump besides burning up all your ammunition? I really want to know.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    I just watched a video of a guy that evaluated a AR 15 versus a M1A on the basis of how accurately he could shoot them while doing a mag dump at 20 yards.

I can understand a controlled pair or even three for each rifle. I don't understand the need to empty your magazine into the body of just one assailant .

I have considered myself a rifleman for well over 50 years. That means precision fire out to 500 yards. A round fired every 4-5 seconds.

Please educate me. What is the purpose of a mag dump besides burning up all your ammunition? I really want to know.
    Not sure perhaps they think it is going to generate views for their content?

FNparabellum

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Aug 30, 2022
    Indianapolis

Suppressive fire. Keep them from shooting at you while your buds get better cover. I wouldn't necessarily practice it but it can be useful. Not to mention the fun factor.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Suppressive fire. Keep them from shooting at you while your buds get better cover. I wouldn't necessarily practice it but it can be useful. Not to mention the fun factor.
    I understand this in a very limited military context. Not for an armed individual citizen. I find it far more fun to put a bullet precisely where I want a bullet to go.

FNparabellum

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Aug 30, 2022
    Indianapolis
    I understand this in a very limited military context. Not for an armed individual citizen. I find it far more fun to put a bullet precisely where I want a bullet to go.
    Oh I agree for the most part. But it also depends on what your doing. If your preparing for SHTF that may be a skill you need. Unlikely but possible. I personally have a suppressed 10/22 with a binary trigger I mag dump (accurately) with for fun and if i had the money i would probably do it with 223 as well.

Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    152   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    Being able to accurately keep up fire continuity is the first step to accurately engaging multiple targets and switching targets. It’s important to me to know how a rifle controls.

Michigan Slim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    My first truly aimed shots would go for the driver. Then dump into the car in general. Minute of window at that point?
    The only reason I even think that way is because of a poor, misunderstood youth telling me his homies were coming to shoot me up. A car full of poor, misunderstood youth did drive by but it must not of been them. I was sitting in my garage a little more than ready. Yes, I practice it occasionally.

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    May 5, 2012

Mag dump is just literally dumping the ammunition by firing. I would think firing quickly and accurately would be a huge benefit….?

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.

So while I am not sure of much true usefulness of a mag dump, from your description it sounds like he was just using it to test the controllability of the 2 guns in a comparative manner.

Top Bottom