• ...and so much more!
  • Bassat

I shoot Canon, too!
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 30, 2022
    Osceola, Indiana 46561
    I spent a few years teaching the M2 .50 Caliber MG in a tank battalion. Keeping in mind that the M2 does not use magazines, at the end of every training session, we did 'belt' dumps. Ammunition issued is based on the number of expected trainees. Ammunition consumed is based on number of trainees who showed up, the weather, range conditions, and so for forth. Quantity of ammunition issued at the NEXT training session was: Ammo drawn MINUS Ammo turned in. While I was teaching, we NEVER turned in .50 cal ammo. Sometimes my last range day consisted of a lot privates having a lot of fun with a lot of "excess" ammo. On heavy days, we also earned a lot of new M2 barrels. "Once they're red, they're dead." Saved a lot of cleaning time. We did our part to help Uncle Ronnie win WWIII.

GasTube138

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2023
    Munster
    If I'm adjusting gas, one final test is a mag dump. It's not for accuracy but reliability. If I get no jams or issues and my gas is still controllable I'm happy. I've had rifles where they were fine every couple seconds, one shot at a time. But when I started rapid, FTE, FTF etc. So I'll adjust the gas to as light but reliable as I can get it, but I need to test it with a mag dump to make sure it'll keep firing. It's a reliability test for me.

Other than that, I mean they can be fun, but are for sure a luxury/waste. There's no real reason I can think of practically other than suppressive fire type stuff.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Gotta love FOF.

If you are gonna score it though, might have to come up some unique rules? Otherwise, you could game the crap out of it?

:bash:

Combat Engineer

One of the three percent.
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 28, 2022
    Mauckport In.
    Everytime a Louisville Metro Officer or Officers get involved in a shooting they mag dump like crazy.A lot of self defense (pro's) advocate it as well.Three per man... Mozambique drill.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Couldn’t say, never played one. But do remember the class though. And the other stupid one on how to protect yourself from an atomic bomb with a shelter half.
    In a former life I was directly involved with troop training of regular Army soldiers. I never taught or heard of being taught either of your claims. It sounds like someone was reaching way beyond any official training manual.

Mij

Permaplinker (thanks to Expat)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    In a former life I was directly involved with troop training of regular Army soldiers. I never taught or heard of being taught either of your claims. It sounds like someone was reaching way beyond any official training manual.
    Possibly, but in my BCT, Ft. Knox, 69. We were taught “ you see a bright light to your immediate front, take appropriate action”. At that time you removed your shelter half, crouched down and covered yourself while stepping on the bottom edges, then you sprinkled a yellowed powder substance around the interior edge. The fact that you could or could not save yourself if you were in that situation was lost on most kids at that time. But it is what I experienced.

Mij

Permaplinker (thanks to Expat)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    OK, in the other class. We were taught that if you hold your thumb up at arm’s length if your thumb covers or doesn’t cover a long forgotten % of a jet plane you could supposedly shoot it down with an M-16. Now even though we were kids, we knew this was BS. But it was basic training and none of us wanted to be on the bad side of a DI.

So there you go. :wavey:

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    What a waste of training time. Even if they had validity, we had air superiority in RVN and nobody was thinking of using nukes, even tactical ones like the Davey Crockett. I completed basic training at Ft. Knox in 1966 and also completed Advanced Infantry training at Ft. Ord. I completed Infantry OCS at Ft. Benning. I trained recruits at Ft. Campbell in 1967. I have a childhood friend who was a non-com and trained basic trainees at Ft. Knox during the time that you were there. I should see him during the Christmas holidays. If I remember, I'll ask him about the syllabuses.

Top Bottom