I got pulled over can the cop go in my car take my gun?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 92ThoStro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    I was actually talking about removing.the bullets from.the cartridges LOL

No need for a decoy, you don't have to tell them about weapons anyway

It was explained.pretty well in the other.threads I have read on here.

If you don't tell them they won't know, so they won't.be able to care.

But if you say.you don't have any or don't mention any, And.you open up the console to get your papers, and there.is a gun, you will be drawn out at gunpoint.

If you don't want to lie, say you have nothing illegal. And if they continue, answer with a question.

BurtGummer

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2013
    NWI
    I keep my gun between my seat and center console. Awhile back I was driving through Gary before I had my LTC and I was at a stop light when a guy nodded and hinted to another guy I'm assuming to steal my car cause the guy immediately change direction and started walk towards my car.I didn't stick around to find out and blew the light so you never know what's going to happen. That would be why I keep it next to me.

BurtGummer

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2013
    NWI
    :n00b:Everyone keeps saying to change my driving habits. I have had my LTC for 4 years now and have been pulled over 3 times 2 times for no reason and once for speeding. I'll just buy a big ass truck so the cop will have to get a ladder to search it or see in lol

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    As you exit the vehicle, take the keys from the ignition and lock the doors. The officer would have to search your pockets, confiscate your keys, unlock the vehicle and enter it. Once you are removed from the vehicle and the doors are locked, the officer no longer has RAS to believe that your firearm is a threat, especially once you produce your LTCH. (there is case law on this, but I don't feel like searching) If the officer does confiscate your keys to enter your vehicle without your permission, you can file a formal complaint with his department.
    This ^^^

Current IN case law says that once you are removed from your vehicle and you've presented your LTCH there is no longer RAS for the officer to search the vehicle under the guise of "officer safety". The officer's safety cannot be in question due to an object inside your vehicle once you are removed. I believe that is state v Richardson but it may be State v. Washington... either way, those are 2 very important IN Supreme Court cases that EVERY LTCH holder should know about.

BTW, the obvious solution to this is to not notify.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    This ^^^

Current IN case law says that once you are removed from your vehicle and you've presented your LTCH there is no longer RAS for the officer to search the vehicle under the guise of "officer safety". The officer's safety cannot be in question due to an object inside your vehicle once you are removed. I believe that is state v Richardson but it may be State v. Washington... either way, those are 2 very important IN Supreme Court cases that EVERY LTCH holder should know about.

BTW, the obvious solution to this is to not notify.

Have you ever tried to exit the vehicle with LEO right there. They do not like to loose control of any situation and you will be entering a no fly zone.
    If he tells you to stay put....best you do that....tazing sucks.

Concerned Citizen

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2010
    Brownsburg
    As you exit the vehicle, take the keys from the ignition and lock the doors. The officer would have to search your pockets, confiscate your keys, unlock the vehicle and enter it. Once you are removed from the vehicle and the doors are locked, the officer no longer has RAS to believe that your firearm is a threat, especially once you produce your LTCH. (there is case law on this, but I don't feel like searching) If the officer does confiscate your keys to enter your vehicle without your permission, you can file a formal complaint with his department.
    So how do I do that? While I am being questioned by the LEO, the truck is turned off, and the driver side window is open. So, just after the officer asks me to exit the vehicle, I turn the key back on and roll up the driver's window? If I was that LEO, and somebody did that, my Spidey Senses would go off, and I would get very mad very quickly. I just don't see how that wouldn't end badly for anybody.

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    So how do I do that? While I am being questioned by the LEO, the truck is turned off, and the driver side window is open. So, just after the officer asks me to exit the vehicle, I turn the key back on and roll up the driver's window? If I was that LEO, and somebody did that, my Spidey Senses would go off, and I would get very mad very quickly. I just don't see how that wouldn't end badly for anybody.

Simply tell the officer you are going to roll up your window before getting out if you like, or just do it. Its not like your got to start the car an rev the engine.

lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI
    I don't know how you do it but I don't turn off my car unless I'm told to and I only roll down my window enough to hand over my ID and insurance. The two times that i have been pulled over in my life that has worked for me.

possum_128

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Martinsville area
    Well I'm a young guy driving a sports car so I'm kinda targeted by the cops I don't tell them I have a gun until they ask.

When I was 17 I drove a vett and no cops ever pulled me over, so that is a poor excuse, but then again, I drove the speed limit.

Try slowing down my young friend and put your gun in a proper holster so it don't slide all around and hit the floor and a cop see's it when they pull you over for speeding (you know you are) then you won't have to tell them about your gun.

Top Bottom