• ...and so much more!
  • indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    Sometime between midnight and dawn this morning someone broke into my LEO neighbor's cruiser and took his roof mounted gun rack. Shotgun and Department issued M4 gone!

We didn't hear a thing. He parks the car on the street, our bedroom is on the street side, it's less than 30 yds linear distance. The cruiser wasn't damaged, so we guess a 'slim jim' was used to gain access. We also think that the car was targeted, not a random act. No prints. Needless to say, he is angry.

As I've bragged before, our neighborhood is nearly 50% LEO. Crime doesn't happen here. Now I'm angry...

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    Shouldnt leave weapons in cars

Not going to get into a p***ing match with you about that question. There is not a department policy requiring him to take them inside his home.

They have figured out how to unlock the electronic racks.

I think this is why he didn't take them in every night when he got home. Unfortunately, they didn't unlock the rack, they took the whole thing...

They knew what to look for.

And yes, they left everything else intact. They didn't even break the windshield.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Ummm, maybe it has something to do with the giant billboard on the side of the car that says "GUN INSIDE"?:laugh:

This happens over and over and we even talk about it on INGO.:D

Law enforcement hereby forever waives its right to pull on lapels on rock back and forth on heels and talk about "responsibility" as they strike a who farted pose. I'm just tired of hearing it.

There is not a department policy requiring him to take them inside his home.

There's no statute requiring non-badges from locking up guns either but every time I have to go get one back I get the responsibility pose thrown in my face. Some day they will break their lapels.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    Ok. I'm open to looking past my sympathy for my neighbor, who is a nice guy and didn't deserve this.

Sooo... you're suggesting he knows this happens and should have been wise enough to take precautions by moving the guns in and out when not on duty rather than believe ~no one~ in their right mind would break into a cruiser on a fairly well lit street?

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    Shouldnt leave weapons in cars
    ^^^^THIS^^^^
    It doesn't matter if there is a policy in place or not, don't leave **** laying around, where somebody can steal it.

Somebody stole my radio out of my truck years ago where I used to live, and I had a DON'T STEAL MY RADIO POLICY! The noive of some people!

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    Ok. I'm open to looking past my sympathy for my neighbor, who is a nice guy and didn't deserve this.

Sooo... you're suggesting he knows this happens and should have been wise enough to take precautions by moving the guns in and out when not on duty rather than believe ~no one~ in their right mind would break into a cruiser on a fairly well lit street?
    I wouldn't leave a gun in a car while I am asleep, but that's just me. Criminals will do what criminals do.

Dr.Midnight

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Monroe County
    Whoever it was has balls the size of church bells.

I don't like being this way, but I'm beginning to think that most people in the world will either rob you blind or screw you over for a dollar.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    A co worker took his guns inside at night. The thieves broke into the house and took the guns :(. Being a police officer means we have guns, either in the car or in the house. Kids now a days will break into a house without a second thought. In fact, it seems more common that vehicle break-ins. Now if he had the guns "just laying around" in the car and not locked up, shame on him and he could face time off. They make car safes that I have seen and people on here think highly of them. What is the difference? They have taken precautions to lock the weapons up when away. How is this different from employees locking their weapons up while at work?

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    They have taken precautions to lock the weapons up when away. How is this different from employees locking their weapons up while at work?

I got that one.

Because employees of Eli Lilly and Allison do not lecture us on "taking responsibility" when guns are stolen from us.

OTOH, lapel-grabbing LEOs lecture us for the same thing.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    Now if he had the guns "just laying around" in the car and not locked up, shame on him and he could face time off.
    Read the thread, Denny. It was a rifle and shotgun secured (locked) in the commonly seen roof mounted rack. I'm not calling out your knowledge or experience but I think my neighbor's belief was this was 'precaution enough' against petty theft. In hindsight, the thief knew what he was doing and what he was after. And sorry, I can't imagine a long gun safe that would fit in the back seat area of a Crown Vic. You're a LEO, would you want to take the time to get your rifle out of a safe when you needed it in a hurry? I'm not a LEO and I wouldn't!

I don't like being this way, but I'm beginning to think that most people in the world will either rob you blind or screw you over for a dollar.
    This is why we moved here, to get away from this. Guess not.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    I got that one.

Because employees of Eli Lilly and Allison do not lecture us on "taking responsibility" when guns are stolen from us.

OTOH, lapel-grabbing LEOs lecture us for the same thing.
    I haven't. I was not aware that you knew the victim officer that well. I bet many companies might give you a good talking to (even if unwarranted) since most don't even like guns on their property.

Top Bottom