• ...and so much more!
  • lrahm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2011
    Newburgh
    FIFY.

Cop had his guns locked up. Is it reasonable to expect him to unlock them and bring them both inside every night and back out every morning? Not really.

Perhaps they should put alarms on their cars? They already have the sirens, lol.

Agreed to a point. Most crimes are done because the opportunity presents itself. I would not want to explain to my supervisor that I had weapons taken from my car (especially an M4). Especially if it was a departmental issued weapon. The alarm is a good idea.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Is it reasonable to expect him to unlock them and bring them both inside every night and back out every morning? Not really.

There's are entire offices full of prosecutors that disagree with you, Prom.:laugh:

I have been told that non-badges are strictly liable if they leave a gun in a car. And now INGO Theatre of the Mind:

Dramatis Personae:

Kurt Leeman: striking, dynamic young attorney.

Bloe V. Ator: Deputy Prosecuting Attorney

Scene: Office of the Prosecuting Attorney, Random County:

Leeman: "So, here's the agreed motion for my client's pistol. Can you sign it and do you object to me showing it to the judge ex parte?"

Ator: "NOOOO! Forsoothe, if ye own a handgonne ye be strictkly liable" *hands on lapels, rocking on heels* "Woe, to the icky untrained non-badge who dare own a handgonne. No officer of the king would ever be so foolish as to leave guns on his steed of justice"

Leeman: *looking at watch* "Are you going to go on long? I have to be in Superior 20 in thirty minutes. Besides my guy had to go into the City-County Building for jury duty. Can you get him a letter to pack in the courthouse so this doesn't happen? Hmmm, wonder if I ask Channel 13 . . ."

Ator: "No, no, I'll sign it, here."

flatlander

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Noblesville
    FIFY.

Cop had his guns locked up. Is it reasonable to expect him to unlock them and bring them both inside every night and back out every morning? Not really.

Why not bring them in? It's not like he's even got to make an extra trip. I don't leave my Go bag in the car overnight and remove any other weapons at the same time. Not to be a jerk but it sounds just a little bit lazy. :dunno:

Bob

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    There are levels of protection, and levels a thief will be willing to overcome. Obviously this guy didn't keep these things at a level the thief was unwilling to overcome. Result, successful thief. And he got something good, let me tell ya. Just a little more precaution, and it could have been prevented. Would this thief have been willing to invade the officer's house for the same reward? No telling, but I'd have to presume not. Would you bust into the house of someone you knew had an M4? I sure wouldn't. Just taking it inside adds an order of magnitude of protection.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Why not bring them in? It's not like he's even got to make an extra trip. I don't leave my Go bag in the car overnight and remove any other weapons at the same time. Not to be a jerk but it sounds just a little bit lazy. :dunno:

Bob
    The locked racks are good protection. But if someone wants it bad enough, they will find a way to take it. The rack was bolted in the car. They ripped it out. Amazing.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    There are levels of protection, and levels a thief will be willing to overcome. Obviously this guy didn't keep these things at a level the thief was unwilling to overcome. Result, successful thief. And he got something good, let me tell ya. Just a little more precaution, and it could have been prevented. Would this thief have been willing to invade the officer's house for the same reward? No telling, but I'd have to presume not. Would you bust into the house of someone you knew had an M4? I sure wouldn't. Just taking it inside adds an order of magnitude of protection.
    Ya, in the final analysis I think you're right. I'm not going to tell my neighbor that but hope that is what he arrives at as well.

It sux that I have this reality that my sleepy neighborhood is not exempt from crime any more than any other neighborhood. Less crime, certainly, but not exempt. Vigilence always.

IndyGunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 27, 2010
    Do police register their guns? If so, this guy is going to get raped if he ever gets caught or tries to sell said firearms.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    The locked racks are good protection. But if someone wants it bad enough, they will find a way to take it. The rack was bolted in the car. They ripped it out. Amazing.

IF ONLY the police knew this before this latest theft of police firearms from a police car, or the one before that, or the one before that, or the one before that, or the one . . .

Do police register their guns? If so, this guy is going to get raped if he ever gets caught or tries to sell said firearms.

Yup, on file in the basement in the armoury. Probably on a 'puter now.

vitamink

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    Police officers houses get broken into more than their cars. Criminals know they have at least 8 hours to get inside and take what they want. A gun rack is essentially a safe, but like anything else, they can be defeated. I would much rather figure out your schedule, kick your door in then have 8+ hours completely hidden from public view to take your all stuff than pop your lock in your driveway and hope nobody sees or hears me ripping out a rack from the roof of a car.

He was caught 1 day later.

side note. In a parking lot today at washington and east street there were 50 cars. 25 of them had purses in plain view.

vitamink

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    No, the police stopped a guy getting ready to shatter out a window in the parking lot for the mavris (they were watching the lot from the train tracks). They thought the guy had already broken the window, but he hadn't. The guy was homeless and had several priors for theft. THe car he was getting ready to hit had a purse in plain view. One officer went to the mavris to let the lady know her purse was just sitting on the front seat. Another officer walked around the other cars, 50 of them and found that 25 had left a purse in plain view. He then radioed to the officer going to the mavris to just give a mass announcement. The cop told the DJ what was up. The DJ stopped playing and got on the PA and said, "anyone here that was dumb enough to leave your purse in your car...the police just caught a guy trying to steal it" A ton of women filed out and grabbed their purses.

semperfi211

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Near Lowell
    Does a LEO start and end his/her shift at their police station? If they do, does every department have a armory where long guns can be checked in at end of shift and drawn at shift start? That could be a solution to keeping them in the car or the LEOs house where they can be stolen.:dunno:

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    FIFY.

Perhaps they should put alarms on their cars? They already have the sirens, lol.

Prom and Denny, sorry to bust your chops about this, the excuse of it not really being reasonable for them to remove the weapons from their vehicle each night and returning them in the morning is weak and lame.

If a private citizen was to have his/her vehicle parked on the street each night with the same weapons secured they same way as LEO's are and was stolen there would be the lecture of all lectures of how irresponsible for them to have left them in the vehicle.

Do I leave my firearm locked in it at night, no, why, because I don't want someone breaking into it and using it on myself and family because I was too lazy to be responsible.

Right there this highlighted bold underlined text explains it all, be responsible, lock it up at night, don't assume the car and weapon mount is secure enough that it will keep it secure.

So, how many Indy area LEO's have had weapons stolen from vechiles this year? Is that 5, 6, 7 or more. In my opinion 1 is too many, because there should be department policy of no weapons left unattended overnight in their vehicles.

Remember, not busting chops here, just expecting some responsibility to prevent something like this from happening.

lrahm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2011
    Newburgh
    Does a LEO start and end his/her shift at their police station? If they do, does every department have a armory where long guns can be checked in at end of shift and drawn at shift start? That could be a solution to keeping them in the car or the LEOs house where they can be stolen.:dunno:

Yes and no. Ours start at the department and ends there. A place where they can turn in their paperwork at the end of the shift. A good portion have take home cars. This is nice because there is not the hassle of swapping in and out of equipment. The PD does have some departmental M4s that they have issued. A lot of the officers have bought their own. Everyone is in a money crunch. The departments say they don't have money for racks for their cars. I am happy to have one which they pay for the gas and insurance. Anything else, I would have to have their approval. Now we have to ask where in the hell do we put the equipment at.

Up front I have a radio, siren, computer, ticket printer (for some). My side seat is packed with other junk. We are also concerned about side and front air bags. Kind of a tight fit. It's difficult to reach the FM radio. I like to carry my M4 up front in case I need it. I would hate to stop and run to the trunk to get it. Gotta love a man who has iron sights.

P.S. They ain't getting into my house. Two locked doors, alarm and a pissed off old man with a .45 because you woke him up. I hope that answered your question.

semperfi211

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Near Lowell
    Yes and no. Ours start at the department and ends there. A place where they can turn in their paperwork at the end of the shift. A good portion have take home cars. This is nice because there is not the hassle of swapping in and out of equipment. The PD does have some departmental M4s that they have issued. A lot of the officers have bought their own. Everyone is in a money crunch. The departments say they don't have money for racks for their cars. I am happy to have one which they pay for the gas and insurance. Anything else, I would have to have their approval. Now we have to ask where in the hell do we put the equipment at.

Up front I have a radio, siren, computer, ticket printer (for some). My side seat is packed with other junk. We are also concerned about side and front air bags. Kind of a tight fit. It's difficult to reach the FM radio. I like to carry my M4 up front in case I need it. I would hate to stop and run to the trunk to get it. Gotta love a man who has iron sights.

P.S. They ain't getting into my house. Two locked doors, alarm and a pissed off old man with a .45 because you woke him up. I hope that answered your question.
    Yes that kind of answered my question. Just saying that maybe they would be more secure locked up at station if leo doesnt have good safe.

Last edited:

vitamink

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    Prom and Denny, sorry to bust your chops about this, the excuse of it not really being reasonable for them to remove the weapons from their vehicle each night and returning them in the morning is weak and lame.

If a private citizen was to have his/her vehicle parked on the street each night with the same weapons secured they same way as LEO's are and was stolen there would be the lecture of all lectures of how irresponsible for them to have left them in the vehicle.

Do I leave my firearm locked in it at night, no, why, because I don't want someone breaking into it and using it on myself and family because I was too lazy to be responsible.

Right there this highlighted bold underlined text explains it all, be responsible, lock it up at night, don't assume the car and weapon mount is secure enough that it will keep it secure.

So, how many Indy area LEO's have had weapons stolen from vechiles this year? Is that 5, 6, 7 or more. In my opinion 1 is too many, because there should be department policy of no weapons left unattended overnight in their vehicles.

Remember, not busting chops here, just expecting some responsibility to prevent something like this from happening.

How many cops have had home break ins or attempts this year? 20+? there is a hierarchy of blame that you can place upon someone. Look at it from a 1-5 scale.

1 being the cop leaves his gun on the trunk of his car in the middle of detroit
    3 being the cop leaving his gun in his car unsecured but hidden
    5 being the cop locks his gun in a rack that's bolted to the car

Can you defeat a shotgun rack? Yes, if you know what you're doing. Can you crack a safe? Yes, if you know what you're doing. I'd rather take a crack at your safe indoors, If i know you're gone. If i have friends, i'd rather dolly your safe out to my truck.

I understand the idea that because a cop car is in the driveway a criminal knows that there is at least one gun in the house or shotgun in the car.

A man on the edge of east district gets his house broken into. Because he OC's everywhere he goes and has the standard bevy of "god guns and guts" bumper stickers on his vehicle, everyone is aware that he has guns. One day while at work he comes home to find his safe pried open and all of his hunting guns gone. He values his collection in the low 20 thousands.

long story short. His gang member section 8 neighbors that had moved in had been watching him come and go and figured out his work schedule. Oddly enough they were able to wake up before noon to climb in through his back window giving them hours to rummage through his house.

Personally i don't think he was at fault and neither did the cops. He did get most of his guns back eventually though many had lost most of their value.

Top Bottom