I hope they restrict crossbows next hunting season.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Don't disagree with ya often, Hookeye, but I'll have to with ya here. I've been around too many positive experiences with kids hunting under the age of 12 to go along with that one. Of course alot of depends on the individual kid, and their experiences.

Back to the regularly scheduled $%&t storm.:D

Not gonna argue that, but do think that with added convenience some folks are taking killing a bit lightly

No matter how sterilized they try to make "harvesting", there's always the possibility of things going less than planned.

And that's a lot to shove in front of a wee kiddie (IMHO). Who knows how they will react?

I think there should be a larger time gap between kids eating boogers and killing animals

tom1025

Master
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Underground
    Don't disagree with ya often, Hookeye, but I'll have to with ya here. I've been around too many positive experiences with kids hunting under the age of 12 to go along with that one. Of course alot of depends on the individual kid, and their experiences.

+1 here. My nephew who is 12 has been hunting since he was 7. He has harvested more deer and turkey then most grown men.

ddavidson

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 31, 2012
    Clermont, IN
    The challenge of hunting is what you make it. There's always a more difficult way to hunt.

I just hope they restrict the weight reduction guys have been doing on stones. I use a 3lb. stone to stone my deer to death with. These guys coming out here with their 2lb. is getting old. They may not be getting as much blunt force trauma as me but the range is so much better. It's not fair. :D

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    Not gonna argue that, but do think that with added convenience some folks are taking killing a bit lightly

jeezus dude, really?

My kids are all teens and one is active duty army. I can't afford to buy them all bows and gear. We hunt, fish, camp, hike and squeeze all that in between their various schools sports and activities.

I'm sure you flint your own broadheads, twist your own bow-string and wear some cool buck skins you tanned yourself...

But seriously, enough with the he-man, right of passage blah blah. My 13 took his first whitetail a few weeks ago with his muzzleloader. Do you want to berate him because he had the nerve to use gunpowder?

You come off thinking you sound like:

32a.jpg

but to many of us you sound like:

mel-brooks-robin-hood-men-in-tights.jpg

:D:D:D:D:D:D

Matt52

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2012
    Blah Blah Blah all the anti crossbow people use 70# draw, 80 percent let off, multi pin sights, carbon arrows, trail cams basically they will use all the top technologies but crossbow now thats crossing the line! I dont understand why people think they can shoot as far as a gun that just ridiculous.

MickeyBlueEyes

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    BFE, Indiana
    I'm thinking that a person that wishes restrictions heaped upon people that just got more freedom is a commie. I hope they make you stand up to pee so you have to know what it feels like other than sitting down. Just saying, if you want more restrictions, restrict yourself first!

pirate

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jul 2, 2011
    Is anyone else not ok with crossbows being opened up to everyone for archery season? I understand how it was before with crossbows for people that could not physically use a regular bow. I think letting capable people use crossbows for the entire archery season is unfair to those that use a regular bow. In my opinion, a crossbow is for size purposes, is not unlike a short barrel rifle/shotgun. Wielding a regular bow takes more open air and more skill. If crossbows are going to be legal for everyone to use I hope that there is at least a different/shorter season for them. I'm sure some of you would say the same thing about my compound, but at least I still have to hold my draw until the proper shot is presented. By the way, I hunt from the ground fully visible to my prey.
    Flame away. :flamethrower:

I was just about to give you the riot act when I read your "unfair" complaints, but then I saw at the bottom you hunt from the ground visible to the prey. My biggest complaint to "hunting" is the use of tree stands/blinds when you've already added the modern day weapon techs. (Fish in a barrel and all that.) So no flames here from me. Personally I don't think it matters in this day and age on how you take a deer. A tag is a tag and the King allows you how much he allows you here, regardless of the weapon. :yesway:

Hickman, don't get mad just because you don't hunt with a feather in your cap and cool tights.

Hotdoger

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Boone County, In.
    I was just about to give you the riot act when I read your "unfair" complaints, but then I saw at the bottom you hunt from the ground visible to the prey. My biggest complaint to "hunting" is the use of tree stands/blinds when you've already added the modern day weapon techs. (Fish in a barrel and all that.) So no flames here from me. Personally I don't think it matters in this day and age on how you take a deer. A tag is a tag and the King allows you how much he allows you here, regardless of the weapon. :yesway:

Hickman, don't get mad just because you don't hunt with a feather in your cap and cool tights.

For all the deer that have seen me in a tree stand it is good to know they never did really see me.

marinemom

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Columbus
    I personally love that they are allowed. My 15 yo son has a recurve and he is amazing with it. This year he is out with his crossbow that he saved up for! Our goal is hunting for meat not a trophy, so to me, I am all for it! We hunt from the ground, so I don't think there is an unfair advantage over a compound. It's just one more way to get people in the sport.

Lonnie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2010
    Hamilton county
    Is anyone else not ok with crossbows being opened up to everyone for archery season? I understand how it was before with crossbows for people that could not physically use a regular bow. I think letting capable people use crossbows for the entire archery season is unfair to those that use a regular bow. In my opinion, a crossbow is for size purposes, is not unlike a short barrel rifle/shotgun. Wielding a regular bow takes more open air and more skill. If crossbows are going to be legal for everyone to use I hope that there is at least a different/shorter season for them. I'm sure some of you would say the same thing about my compound, but at least I still have to hold my draw until the proper shot is presented. By the way, I hunt from the ground fully visible to my prey.
    Flame away. :flamethrower:

So next I guess you will be complaining about gun hunters:dunno:

Who cares about crossbow hunting?? I don't , I don't hunt with 1 but I don't care if others do.
    I think simply it's about being jealouse of other hunters shooting "YOUR DEER"

We are all hunters and the methods we use should not matter to the next guy as long as it's legal PERIOD!

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    From here on out, I will only hunt deer with a 6' long sharpened stick and an atlatl.

Take that you technophile long-bow hunters.

-J-

Willie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Warrick County

I'll disagree with him too. I've worked with youth to recruit them into hunting and I know for a fact the older they get before starting the tougher it is to hook them on hunting.

From Families Afield ( which the IDNR has adopted the "Apprentice License" from)

In some states, laws actually prohibit parents from introducing their young sons and daughters to big-game hunting. Youths may be restricted until age 10 or 12 or even later, and subjected to stringent coursework requirements, before they can legally join an adult mentor for a hunt. These barriers cause many youths to lose interest in hunting and they too often settle for other activities like video games or organized sports. Eventually, as participation trails off, hunting itself — and all its ties to conservation funding and economic importance in America — could be compromised

Research shows that states without these prohibitions are recruiting more youths into hunting. Mentors instill the passion early, bonding families together, increasing attendance in hunter education classes, strengthening support and participation for the future, and doing so safely!

See "Research" at...

http://www.familiesafield.org/

As far as the kids starting deer hunting with a crossbow - I would MUCH rather see kids go afield with a piece of archery equipment that is MUCH more likely to put one on the ground than a 35# vertical bow that if everything isnt lined up just right you have a dinged deer and not a pleasant situation.

Willie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Warrick County

Like it or not, hunting can be a competition against others hunting the same ground or nearby (public or private land)

Been that way forever...worse now though, but I don’t blame what hunting tool the guy is carrying..

..........and I have heard quite a few folks wanting an X bow over a regular bow to nail the buck they got on trail cam before the bowhunter next door.
    Phrased such that it wasn't about the deer as much as it was outdoing the "other guy".

LOL... Being on the forefront of crossbow legalization in this state for 10+ years I've got a ton of evidence of the chest pounding vertical bowhunters wanting it all for themselves.. Even to the point of opposing the early youth season.

They even tried to get a last minute amendment to the crossbow proposal to kick the crossbowers out starting November 1 and not letting them back in until the gun opener. Why? Their stated reason - "Bucks are more vulnerable then". The rut is the prime jewel in deer hunting and quite a few bowhunters and bowhunter dominated groups want it all for themselves.. See Deer Proposal #1 that would have shortened and moved the gun season out of the rut completely..

Making things easier doesn't ensure that only good folks apply for the advantage.

Nope...each category of hunters have their slob hunters, but I don’t think we should blanket chastise the whole group for the actions of a few.Just think us recurve and longbow shooters had to put up with those wheeled contraptions back in the early 70s. Archery hunting sure has went to HE double hockey sticks hasn't it?

Eh, I pretty much hate everybody, doesn't matter if they own an Xbow or not

Now that is honest...

Top Bottom