• ...and so much more!
  • rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    16 APR 2015 - wound update

Early this morning marked the 13 day mark since the sutures were made. My instructions stated to remove the stitches in 12-14 days, which could be accomplished by my physician, a return to the emergency room, or do it myself. Naturally, I did it myself.

After removing all of the suture material I could find, I discovered something that did not please me: the margins at the surface did not adhere and heal together.

I speculate that since it was a high stress area, moving around and normal activity cause the margins to spread apart over a few days. I lack the sophistication to speculate whether or not a better suture job would have helped, but I suspect that since there wasn't much to anchor anything (just skin and adipose, no viscera or muscle involved) I don't know if there was enough structure to hold it closed.

There now exists a gooey "trench," approximately 1/4 inch deep, above the tissue that has healed and formed from the bottom of the wound upward. The fluid oozing is transparent with a tinge of pink (red blood cells, I assume). I don't see any signs of significant infection and it doesn't hurt or express much when I squeeze it.

I put my leg in the shower and rinsed it for a while this morning, then washed thoroughly with soap and water, then let more water run over it for a while. I didn't have a big syringe to irrigate with any force, but I think the shower did a decent job.

I tried to pull the margins together with steri strips, but enough new tissue has built-up inside combined with the margins being crunchy (dead) that I couldn't really get it to pull back together. So, for now I am stuck with an open wound. I left the steri strips in place holding it as close to closed as I could get it and covered with a folded 4x4 to protect from debris and absorb drainage.

I have an appointment with my doctor on Monday for normal stuff and I'll have him take a peek at then. If it's not making progress, I'm thinking I may need to have him do a little excision of the area and re-suture. He used to be a surgeon and will welcome the opportunity!

Nothing is ever simple. On the bright side, this development is genuinely motivating me to be a lot more careful. All the teasing aside, I am taking this seriously and now even more so.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    ... Naturally, I did it myself

The next words I expected to read were "...with my karambit, necessitating another trip to the ER."

Good luck at your Monday appointment, sounds like your days as a leg model might be over tho.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana

eric001

Vaguely well-known member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 3, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Welp, here's yer chance ta rub some dirt in it so it'll heal up nice n purty like!!

But serioously, folks...

Hope you finish healing up without any complications.

Oh, btw, where's the pics??

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    These threads are kind of bordering on insanity... I keep reading them thinking they're going to involve a different result!
    :laugh:

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Welp, here's yer chance ta rub some dirt in it so it'll heal up nice n purty like!!

But serioously, folks...

Hope you finish healing up without any complications.

Oh, btw, where's the pics??

Visit my cube on your break on Tuesday and I'll let you peek!

Now I'm hungry.

I'm making gravy with the drainage.

These threads are kind of bordering on insanity... I keep reading them thinking they're going to involve a different result!
    :laugh:

That might disappoint some people!

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    If it's any consolation, you get an A+ in knife sharpening! :yesway:

Thank you, sir! A silver lining indeed. Hehe!

Yesterday after I scrubbed the wound with a brush and soap and water, it looked a lot better. The void space seems to have shrunk, which suggests to me that the tissues near the margins were swollen where the stitches were and they've had time to calm down and recede. It looks a lot better now and discharge is minimal. Will show my family doc tomorrow during my regular appointment.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Interesting note: the steri-strips I used to close the wound the day I removed the stitches literally blistered my skin. I don't know if the reaction to the adhesive was because they were several year old or my tender hide just doesn't like them. Below the wound I have red welts in stripes that look like claw marks and above two of the blisters still have some fluid accumulated in them.

Is such a reaction unusual to steri-strip adhesive?

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    Interesting note: the steri-strips I used to close the wound the day I removed the stitches literally blistered my skin. I don't know if the reaction to the adhesive was because they were several year old or my tender hide just doesn't like them. Below the wound I have red welts in stripes that look like claw marks and above two of the blisters still have some fluid accumulated in them.

Is such a reaction unusual to steri-strip adhesive?

Latex allergy?

Top Bottom