• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mosinowner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 1, 2011
    Well was having a conversation with my dad and, we were talking about ARs. He brought up the conversation that he sees no point in all these gadgets that we put on our guns. He left it at that. My brother not missing a opportunity to ridicule me kept telling me that there is no point in a weapon mounted light, red dot sight, vertical grip, and everything else he said I was a idiot for using a RDS and not irons and wanting to put a MS3 on my rifle and pretty much everything else. Well I told them my reasons. Now I want to know your

Red dot sight:

Vert grip:

Sopmod stock:

Weapon mounted lights:

Modern AR15s or M4 clones:

rw496

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 16, 2011
    Lake County
    Just depends on what you are going to use it for. I have found it is not easy to hold a rifle and a flashlight while searching a dark building. Red dot scopes are nice for quick kill, but you should know how to use irons

Mosinowner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 1, 2011
    Just depends on what you are going to use it for. I have found it is not easy to hold a rifle and a flashlight while searching a dark building. Red dot scopes are nice for quick kill, but you should know how to use irons

A flashlight mounted on a rifle? Also I know how to use irons but I think RDS are quicker

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Why does everything have to have a point? Can't some things just be for entertainment value?

Mosinowner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 1, 2011
    Why does everything have to have a point? Can't some things just be for entertainment value?

I also added that. He added its a waste of money and no body needs it. Then I said '' Well if I don't think you need more that 10 rounds in your magazine should they be banned? '' He then proceded to call me a idiot :D

PINski1015

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2011
    Cyberspace
    I don't see the point for me atleast, to have anything other than an A2 stock because they fit me perfect. Why solve a problem I don't have?

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    I have a red dot and a red light on my M4, but the irons are clear as well. The red dot is great, but what if the battery dies, or if it gets broken one way or another? The light is handy, but, once again, nothing to count on. I use red because it doesn't break the dark adjustment of the eyes. Some of this stuff is available for good reasons; you just have to understand what's up, and think about it. You can filter through the marketing hype and mall ninja lore and find what's useful.

Mosinowner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 1, 2011
    I added the fact that i could use BUIS he said that flip up sights are retarded and they break.

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    Your money (I presume), yours to waste.

Red Dot? Fast target acquisition (but everyone should know irons).

Vert Grip? I'm not a fan. Tacticool. Buy it if you want it. Buy one of these before you buy a sling though, and you deserve to be slapped.

Sopmod Stock? Well, any multi-position stock provides some flexibility for compact carry and shorter overall length for cramped environments at the cost of pure stability.

Weapon mounted lights? As mentioned, much handier than carrying and deploying an extra flashlight when needed.

Modern AR15/A4 clones? I'm not sure I understand the question here. Instead of what? They are a viable choice for a reliable, accurate, semi-automatic rifle, useful for a variety of applications. For a specific task there may be a better choice, but unless you have a certain application in mind it's hard to find fault with the AR15 as a generic choice.

rugertoter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2011
    N.E. Corner
    Well was having a conversation with my dad and, we were talking about ARs. He brought up the conversation that he sees no point in all these gadgets that we put on our guns. He left it at that. My brother not missing a opportunity to ridicule me kept telling me that there is no point in a weapon mounted light, red dot sight, vertical grip, and everything else he said I was a idiot for using a RDS and not irons and wanting to put a MS3 on my rifle and pretty much everything else. Well I told them my reasons. Now I want to know your

Red dot sight:

Vert grip:

Sopmod stock:

Weapon mounted lights:

I say it is your choice and your choice only. Its your gun, do what you think is important or "cool" or practicle, not what anyone else thinks it should be.:twocents:

Brad C.

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 13, 2010
    Martinsville
    I agree it's not needed, but who needs power windows in their car or a/c? Just accessories that we enjoy having on our rifles.

Btw I have a stock Rock River with flip up iron sights and a CTR stock.

williamsburg

Master
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Nov 12, 2011
    Oaklandon
    yeah i agree why should there be points to everything, some times we should just enjoy the thoughts that are shared. :yesway:
    we have a FAQ on here, what's the point it's ignored. we have REP on here, but what's the point it's abused.:D

ctbreitwieser

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    DuCo.
    Vert Grip? I'm not a fan. Tacticool. Buy it if you want it. Buy one of these before you buy a sling though, and you deserve to be slapped.

Why? I feel like I get more benefits from vert grips than slings. Im personally not a fan of slings. Not saying others dont benefit from slings, but I find vert grips for me are practical than slings. I will also add that I think 1-points win the "tacticool" title over a vert grip any day.

Mosinowner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 1, 2011
    I have a CTR stock and I took the vert grip off my rifle ( I just didn't like it ) I told him that RDS allow for faster shooting he said you don't need to shoot fast your not in the military. Of course sometimes he just argues to argue

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I run mine with nothing added.

Eyes not as good as they used to be, maybe an Aimpoint or EOtech as an accessory when things get worse.

I dislike flip up irons too, would just run an optic slightly higher ahead of my reg rear sight, do a look through or peel off should batteries fail.

Kagnew

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Columbus

Red dot sight:

Vert grip:

Sopmod stock:

Weapon mounted lights:

I believe that I'd have to agree with your Dad.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    To paraphrase Clint Smith, just because the Brownell's catalogue sells it, does not mean you need to bolt it on the gun.

Only put on what solves a problem for you.

Like . . . . certain professions that you are too young to know about, tis better to take off than put on.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    I used to be a minimalist, until I spoke recently to a good friend back from tour two in Afghanistan. I made an offhand comment about the weight of accessories on M4s weighing as much as the rifle (turns out he drove, so they didn't give him anything too fancy, just a 20" A3 with no optics, just irons). His explanation is as such: The troops that have the options use as many of them as they can, not to be "cool" but weapons modifications, if they work, are force multipliers, some add more multiplication than others. A CCO or ACOG will vastly improve the speed of aquisition and accuracy under fire in his opinion and what he has seen. Foregrips allow for quicker weapons handling from target to target, etc...

Most mods are in the eyes of the user. Do they NEED them? NO and a resounding NO. Will they, if a proper modification (i.e. NOT a chainsaw handle on a Mossberg or Slidefire stock on an AR), help improve USER accuracy or functionality? Yes.

It's up to the user: take my friends former employer's mindset of the "Armorer's Room": Add or delete what you NEED for the particular mission you want that longarm to fulfill. Irons will suck for HD, useable, yes, but all in all, I would rather have a red dot. A scope for if you are afield.

BUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111!!!!!!!!!! Fundamentals need to be trained and improved upon rather than relying on equipment. Shoot with your irons, learn the rifle's function and handling with and without the added equipment.

wally05

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    IIRC, Pat Rogers wrote a really good article about the old vs new tech and made some really good points. When you are using a rifle in real life... you're using it to win the fight and incapacitate the enemy. Only an idiot or someone ran by their ego would not take the the advantage a good RDS would provide. A decent stock that makes it easier to get a good cheekweld is the same thing. If Rogers is stating it, I would stand up and listen. He also said that everyone should know how to properly use irons and implement a barebones rifle, but to ignore the advantage some "toys" give a shooter is ridiculous.

Tell your dad to pull his head out of his arse. LOL

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Seyboldbryan
    Top Bottom