• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mydoghasfleas

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    Undisclosed
    Funny thing about dads. When your little, you think they are right about everything. When you start to become a teenager you think they are wrong about everything. When they are gone you then look back and realise they were right all along.

If its your money, do what you like.

Mosinowner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 1, 2011
    I don't bolt everything on my rifle. The only thing on it now is a iron sight and a BAD lever. Im gonna add a Aimpoint, sling, light, and Troy BUIS, And Bravo company USA charging handle then be done

wally05

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Haha, I was just joking. His dad's opinion is just that... his opinion. I don't see any problem with a lot of that stuff. There are perfectly good uses for all of them.

I don't understand not taking advantage of the technology. Nobody can honestly say that they can bring a weapon more quickly on target with irons than with a RDS.

Edit:

I will add than anyone with an AR15 should have a nice 2pt adjustable sling (I'm a big fan of VTAC), multiple mags, an RDS if they can afford it with a BUIS, and some good training.

Last edited:

wally05

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Instead of using a big fancy flashlight, get a G2 light with a VTAC mount. It works very well with or without a vertical grip. The g2 can be a push button light and is pretty bright.

armypfar

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2012
    anchorage alaska
    Well i like having all that high speed gear on my m4 you know cco sight, vertical grip, surefire flash light, and pec 15 laser and all that stuff. I may usemine for different reasons than just target practice but i dont see anything wrong with having all the fancy bells and whistles on it.

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    To each their own.

Some people do it for the cool factor, fine with me it's not my money.

If an add-on or mod serves a specific purpose and the operator knows how to properly use it and it will benefit them, then by all means go for it.
    Also depends on the purpose of the rifle and how it will be used. But at the end of the day it is your rifle to do with as you please.

I would also suggest to never overlook the basics. If you are running any kind of optic I still feel you should be capable of using iron sights as well in case the need should arise.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Instead of using a big fancy flashlight, get a G2 light with a VTAC mount. It works very well with or without a vertical grip. The g2 can be a push button light and is pretty bright.

Thats the other thing I am noticing that irritates the heck out of me: The folks that think that if you do get an accessory, if it's not ARFCOM's elite product of the month, then it will get you killed. The G2 light is a-ok for anyone's use. Same with optics: There is a noticeable diff between a Vortex and a proper Aimpoint, but they do the same thing for me and have, in my limited experience and beatings, same function/durability/purpose. A Magpul BUIS or LMT rear sight is just fine, one doesn't "need" a Daniel Defense one that costs 3 times more.

On the other hand, UTG isn't a suggested substitute ;)

I think it's a toss up: Working at a range, I see everything from proper working man's guns to operator/tier 1 weaponry to Johnny Rae Hilljack's blaster. It's the man behind the gun, but a selection of the equipment that works for them. Do I need an Acog? No, but I recognize the benefits of my Millet DMS-1. Would I use a Barska? No. That's the diff. Have the loot to get a good scope or sight or component? Get it. Don't skimp out on the red dot so you can get a stock and cheapy foregrip to make it look tacticool as quickly as possible before that party friday night so that the lack of light can make your cobbled Cheaper Than Dirt catalogue model AR look like a rear Tier 1 weapon. Get QUALITY parts, not junk.

jve153

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 14, 2011
    bargersville, in
    i bought my m&p sport last summer, iron sights, no rails up front. i went out and shot about 500 rounds through it. shot a friends ar who had a vert foregrip and red dot, loved it, bouncing between targets was so much easier. target acquisition was a lot faster. i bought a quadrail, foregrip with bipod (cheap, and the bipod is not a bad idea for distance shooting), and my aimpoint. since then i have added a vortex swing to side magnifier after using a friends. i love my rifle. i do not plan on going to war with it. i plan on shooting endless quantities of paper and pop cans. i ran my first 3gun, and it functioned beautifully.
    my opinion:
    red dot sight: why not, it is a definate improvement in all aspects for less than 100 yards over irons, i can leave mine on all year and not die.
    vert foregrip: more comfortable for me, i like it, leave me alone.
    3x flip to side magnifier: great for shooting at 100 yards, somewhat tacticool but i like it.

edit: the end of the day, all that matters is that you can point your barrel at a target and hit that target, repeatedly, and know you are able to do so with whatever equipment you have on it.

Mosinowner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 1, 2011
    2 post above is exactly correct. I am putting a RDS on my rifle for a purpose. Faster target acquisition and it helps accuracy i'ved tested out some RDS and I think they would be great on a hog gun. Im getting BUIS incase it fails. Im geting a BCM gunfighter charging handle to aid in clearing jams. I'm getting a light for night hunting and my range isn't well lit ( Its indoors ) Im getting a sling to aid in carrying the rifle when walking during hunting. Every piece of gear on my rifle will serve a purpose

mydoghasfleas

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    Undisclosed
    I heard someone say that when you see men in battle, be more weary of the guy with duct tape holding his stuff together than the one with all the lights and optics and trickery.

2tonic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2011
    N.W. Disillusionment
    It's your rifle, your money, do what you will.

As for your Dad, if his opinion is that all accessories are humorous, superfluous, gee-gaws, then it is reasonable to ask if he would be prone to break out laughing should he find himself staring down the business end of a weapon so encumbered.

One caveat concerning VFG's. Some people have a tendency to really torque down on them which distorts the upper and can cause a load of problems with accuracy and reliability.

chuddly

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 17, 2012
    Eminence, IN
    I have irons on mine right now....new RDS and flip over magnifier on order though as i have a 430 yard shot lane at my place so i need the extra magnification. I also have a 6 position stock on mine right now but will be changing it out to something more comfortable fairly soon. Fore grips are ok for some things and over kill in others. I think im going to keep my AR fairly stripped down and just put the sights on it and a sling and let it be. May put a bipod on for when im going for the long shot but most of the time it wont be on there. Of course this is all just my opinion.:dunno:

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I for one am not a fan of optics, unless it's a long distance or precession rifle. There are some decent lower end optics out there on the market. However, I'll rely on my iron sights more than I will a cheaper optic. I also do not like adjustable stocks, they just do not feel right to me. I have tried to use a forward grip as well, it does not feel natural. I do have a light mounted on my M4. I would like to see someone clear a building holding their rifle in one hand, and a flashlight in the other. I think some people go way overboard with all the Tacticool crap. However, not my money and not my gun.

schafe

Master
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Monroe Co.
    My brother behaved like yours when we were young and he is now a flaming liberal. So ignore your brother, think for yourself, and it probably won't rub off. :):

ckcollins2003

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Muncie
    2 post above is exactly correct. I am putting a RDS on my rifle for a purpose. Faster target acquisition and it helps accuracy i'ved tested out some RDS and I think they would be great on a hog gun. Im getting BUIS incase it fails. Im geting a BCM gunfighter charging handle to aid in clearing jams. I'm getting a light for night hunting and my range isn't well lit ( Its indoors ) Im getting a sling to aid in carrying the rifle when walking during hunting. Every piece of gear on my rifle will serve a purpose

A sling provides much more than a way to "carry it". When used properly it provides stability and can help you get on target faster and stay on target easier. And no you don't need an $80 sling that's branded with a fancy company name. Those $10-$20 no name slings from Amazon work just fine. IMO a sling should be the first thing you should add to your rifle. :twocents:

Top Bottom