• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DHolder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Mooresville - MSG2 Hub
    I have a Oly I bought last summer. Im like you, I just want an AR to shoot Appleseeds with. I choose one with a carry handle and M-2 sights. I did have a problem with the front sight, the dealer sent it back to Olympic and a couple of weeks later It was back. She shoots great groups, I run reloads in it and 5 shot groups are quarter sized.

I have no regrets, Olympic is plagued by a problem they had years ago, with some bad recievers, much like Glock and the .40 kabooms. Many other guys on here have them and recomend them, I just wanted to let you know I had a good report for the customer service too.

vick1

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   1
    Dec 24, 2010
    Indiana
    ar

Bought a complete FN A2 Upper with complete M16 BCG (like new) at the last gun show for $450.. The guy has had them at the last 5 shows I have been to ( older man with wife)... Bought a lower from a guy on this sight for $120, Palmett LPK MOE for $60.00 A2 Stock, buffer and spring $50.00 used.... Great AR15 for $680 not to mention the same upper 1/7 FN M16 BCG that our Armed Forces were issued....

Last edited:

firehawk1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 15, 2010
    Between the rock and that hardplace
    Went down to Bradis this afternoon and began my "quest" for an AR. I looked at a DPMS they had, didn't like it. It didn't have a bolt cover (guess that's what it's called) or the knob thingy:rolleyes: that is supposed to make sure a round is fully chambered. See I told you I know very little about AR's.:n00b:

I did like the Olympic K3B carbine though.:yesway: Didn't bother to look at the Bushmasters they had since they were more than I want to spend. I did learn that the K3B does not have a detachable carry handle. They had a K3B flat top for the same price. Anyone here have an AR with a non detachable carry handle AND have a scope mounted up? From what I can see shooting an AR with iron sights would be fine for target/plinking. A scope might be nice for coyotes though. If you remove a scope from a carry handle, will it remount ok without having to resight it back in?

The guy I spoke with has never heard of Doublestar, and said he can't remember ever seeing a Spikes Tactical sold there.:dunno: Didn't someone post here they bought a Spikes Tactical from Bradis?

Anyway, the search continues.:yesway:

indianajoe

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 24, 2009
    Fishers
    The guy I spoke with has never heard of Doublestar, and said he can't remember ever seeing a Spikes Tactical sold there.:dunno: Didn't someone post here they bought a Spikes Tactical from Bradis?

Anyway, the search continues.:yesway:

Yes, several have. And...

I think shooter mentioned Bradis is going to be a Spikes dealer as well. Might be able to check both blasters mentioned in this thread out in person soon!
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...-new_s_and_w_m_and_p15_sport.html#post1609030

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    It didn't have a bolt cover (guess that's what it's called) or the knob thingy:rolleyes: that is supposed to make sure a round is fully chambered. See I told you I know very little about AR's.:n00b:

Don't sweat it-- we were all there once.

The 'bolt cover' is actually called a "dust cover" and the 'knob thingy' is called a "forward assist".

Anyone here have an AR with a non detachable carry handle AND have a scope mounted up?

NOT recommended. Mounting a scope on top of a carry handle puts the scope WAY too high, making a good cheek weld next to impossible and your shooting uncomfortable. Plus, a fixed carry handle upper will make it more difficult to sell later down the road. A flat-top upper is preferred and MUCH more versatile. You'll thank me later. ;)

(don't be THIS guy)
    MVC-027F.jpg

If you remove a scope from a carry handle, will it remount ok without having to resight it back in?

Probably not. I can't think of a carry handle scope mount that allows a remount without shift of zero.

Sounds like you talked to the wrong guy. :n00b: Next time ask specifically for Mark, aka shooter521. :yesway:

GARANDGUY

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2010
    SOUTHERN INDIANA
    I would perfer these over any of the above mentioned especially Spikes and Delton,Olympic ,any of them. I own 2 Spikes Uppers BTW and they are great but these are better! I also built up a Delton kit for a buddy of mine and have owned DPMS etc,etc etc,. Accurate Armory > Home . Very nice workmanship and machined weapons with a nice flared magwell and ALL MILSPEC! They can make it how ever you want it! I believe they are worth a very hard look! I have not completed testing yet but so far good to go at 2000 rounds.

firehawk1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 15, 2010
    I would perfer these over any of the above mentioned especially Spikes and Delton,Olympic ,any of them. I own 2 Spikes Uppers BTW and they are great but these are better! I also built up a Delton kit for a buddy of mine and have owned DPMS etc,etc etc,. Accurate Armory > Home . Very nice workmanship and machined weapons with a nice flared magwell and ALL MILSPEC! They can make it how ever you want it! I believe they are worth a very hard look! I have not completed testing yet but so far good to go at 2000 rounds.

Humm.... very interesting. For me the price is right. Question I have is, where can you see/buy one? They don't list any dealers on the website.

khangoc

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 15, 2010
    firehawk, I noticed you live on the west side of Indy. I'm from Brownsburg and i'm hitting a 2-gun competition next week so I'm due for a deep clean on my AR if you want to stop by and check it out. I can help you understand what everything is called, where it goes, how it works, etc.

dukeboy_318

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 22, 2010
    in la la land
    I do not know about the olympic arms ARs, but I do have a DPMS sportacle. Very nice gun, no real issues with it at all. I did break a gas ring after my first mag, but I called DPMS, they over nighted me a brand new pack of 3 for free, didn't even have to pay shipping, that was over 1500 rds ago, haven't broken one since.

firehawk1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 15, 2010
    firehawk, I noticed you live on the west side of Indy. I'm from Brownsburg and i'm hitting a 2-gun competition next week so I'm due for a deep clean on my AR if you want to stop by and check it out. I can help you understand what everything is called, where it goes, how it works, etc.

Thanks for the offer, I'll PM you and we can figure out when a good time would be.:yesway:

BTW, has anyone see or have experience with this scope mount? I have decided I want an AR with the carry handle.

AR15LeatherwoodMount.jpg

Last edited:

12many

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Jan 29, 2011
    over there
    this.

I never intended to offend anyone. My apologies.
    Apology accepted. I am fairly new to INGO and the AR thing. I have owned guns since I was old enough (35+ yrs) and grew up around them and there is a lot of good information on this site, but sometimes it seems you get those responses that want to keep you from posting anything else, ever.
    Firehawk, good luck with the AR hunt. Like I said I picked up my OLY AR from a guy at work for $500. It has the flat top with a fairly large scope, bipod and a collapsible stock. I would like to get the 16" K3B-FAR Upper Receiver that OLY offers but they only take certain credit cards that I don't use. I will probably look and see what I can get at the 1500 show this month. If anyone from Bradis is reading this, are you an OLY dealer and could I come to you pay for the upper from OLY and you order it?
    This is a good site, but you people with the 2000+ posts need to be a little more understanding with newbies. To this site not guns in general.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    I have decided I want an AR with the carry handle.

If this is the case, then find a flat-top upper and put on a detachable carry handle. That way you get the same function, but with the versatility and marketability of a flat-top. If you later decide to go with a scope you can mount it properly with a 1-piece mount or rings. Having a fixed carry handle upper will severely limit your overall options.

Detachable carry handle (looks and functions just like fixed)
    MARDCH.jpg

Flat-top + scope mount + scope = flexibility and proper cheek weld
    5cfx4m.jpg

Fixed carry handle + rail section + scope mount + scope = crazy high cheek weld that will be impossible to shoot comfortably, and your height-over-bore will be like 4", making it tougher to get a good zero.
    41MeH6WmWKL.jpg

Last edited:

firehawk1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 15, 2010
    The Leatherwood scope base I show in the picture mounts the scope way lower than the one shown in the post above. It's slightly more than one half of the scope diameter above the iron sights.

AR15LeatherwoodScope.jpg

99% of the time I will be using the iron sights anyway. I would only be mounting up a scope to coyote/varmit hunt. I guess if I chose to say... shoot FNS with it, I could buy a flat top 9mm upper.:yesway:

BTW, the AR I looked at at Bradis appeared to have a front sight that was not straight with the receiver.:dunno: Are the front sights pinned to the barrel, or simply clamped to it?

khangoc

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 15, 2010
    Oh, firehawk, when you come tomorrow make sure you bring a USB stick/flash drive that's fairly big. I'll give you copies of Art of the Tactical Carbine vol 1&2. Should take up about 5-6gb. If not hook me up w/ a couple blank DVDs so I can burn them for you.

Top Bottom