• ...and so much more!
  • JCSR

NO STAGE PLAN
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2017
    Santa Claus
    I appreciate the other opinions but all things considered nothing else checks all of the boxes. I don't think a motorcycle can get much more utilitarian and all I want is reliable, cheap transportation I can ride a good chunk of the year and keep the miles off of my truck. No pleasure riding, very little highway riding and probably no interstate riding.
    Don't rob yourself of one the the best feelings on earth. Riding for pleasure is one of the few cheap enjoyments we have left. Motorcycles also keep me from falling into a deep winter depression.

OurDee

nobody
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 16, 2017
    Camby
    There are a ton of good options out there. If you like the sporties, Buy a mechanically great one and don't worry what color it is. Just ride the tar out of it. color or paint it next winter. I just dropped a friends Sportster engine off at Dark Horse in Wisconsin for a welded crank, Carillo rods, and new pistons and cylinder work. He knows the Carillo is over kill, but they are so pretty. Goal is a bullit proof motor for a ride to the Artic and beyond. He is 70. Bike is Soul Red without all the chrome. He has been building it for years. Then the Crank and rod noises cropped up. He hasn't had a car in years, but has 3 Sportsters. This one is the Gentleman's Express. The daily driver is called "The Cussed Em" and the other is a tribute bike from a friend that passed before getting it running well enough to ride. I started riding a Royal Enfield, Himalayan last year.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    Just got back from checking the bike out in person at a dealership, I like it but haven't ridden it yet. The size is good, the suspension is very soft (which is beneficial for me), the bike weighs 350lbs wet, it's quiet, fuel efficient and is definitely biased towards road use but it does have good light duty offroad capability which, while I don't necesssarily "need" that capability at the moment, two years down the road who knows? There may come a time where riding offroad becomes important.

If I end up getting it I'll definitely be adding crash bars, bark busters, etc.. I'm a known upgrade addict, the more upgrade options are available for something the more I tend to have interest in it. 3yr - 36k warranty is pretty nice and it's under $7250 out the door. I won't make a final decision until I have an opportunity to ride one.
    Not sure how much highway time you plan on getting, but that 300 will leave you wanting more. I've had quite a few smaller bikes from 220 up to 650 and the only ones that were comfortable on the highway were the 500 and 650. If you do plan on any off-road I found the smaller 350 great for that, but if you plan on mostly road riding I would try to get a few more CC's.

The smaller bikes are absolutely a blast if you stay off the highway though, I really do miss my old DR 350.

Reactions: Leo

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I often wish I'd have gotten into motorcycle riding. But I've been hit in every vehicle I've ever owned (except the current one - knock wood!), including two head-on collisions that I wouldn't have survived on a bike. I like having the steel around me. I'm not gonna tempt fate.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Not sure how much highway time you plan on getting, but that 300 will leave you wanting more.
    Yep, it definitely has its limitations. The only highway riding will be if and when it’s unavoidable. I honestly never really enjoyed anything over about 50 on my road king.

KokomoDave

Enigma Suspect
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    76   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Kokomo
    I have an appointment for my cruise control install tomorrow. Bad thing is the weather. I have no way to get it down to Westfield except ride it. Crap!
    If I get killed, hoist a cold one in my name. Buwahahaha!

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I have an appointment for my cruise control install tomorrow. Bad thing is the weather. I have no way to get it down to Westfield except ride it. Crap!
    If I get killed, hoist a cold one in my name. Buwahahaha!
    If I wasn't working I'd bring my horse trailer up and help you haul it down.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    I would look for an older Honda CB, Kawasaki KZ or Yamaha XS or Virago. They would make a much better little commuter.
    AHH!!! NOOOO!! Anyone who recommends a Virago has never had to do extensive repair or maintenance on one! I HATE Viragos and that's coming from a Yamaha fan. (Yeah,yeah, I know my name is kawtech I've been considering changing it since I'm no longer a powersports technician )

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    Yeah, but that thing is a classic anyone would be proud to ride.
    Thanks.

I didn't really know what I had when I first bought it, I just knew it had been loved and stored indoors by the original owner and ran perfectly with 30K on the odometer.
    The custom paint color scheme drew me as well.

After joining fjowners.com and began learning more about it and it's bulletproof reputation - I get it! It is still a popular machine among certain enthusiasts. Simple to work on and maintain. There some good mods for it. I been trying to decide if its worth the effort to go to a more modern swingarm/wheel setup to get a better selection of tires (stock 16's ugh). I like it as original as it is though.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    This particular bike isn't actually made by BMW. It's made by the largest manufacturer of small motorcycles in India (which is a small number). It's being sold all over the world (has been for a few years now) in a few different configurations so I don't think parts will be a problem.
    Sounds like Royal Enfield. I don't know of any other "major" manufacturers of bikes from India. We actually looked into adding Royal Enfield to our dealership at one time. They are good bikes and are pretty popular outside of the States. "Outside of the States" being the reason we never picked them up

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    Classics are nice but just like with automobiles, there’s no substitute for modern lighting, suspension, electronics, fuel injection and most importantly safety features like torque control and ABS. This stuff can literally save your ass and it’s definitely worth the money. Every penny of it. At least in my book.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Sounds like Royal Enfield. I don't know of any other "major" manufacturers of bikes from India. We actually looked into adding Royal Enfield to our dealership at one time. They are good bikes and are pretty popular outside of the States. "Outside of the States" being the reason we never picked them up
    My tractor was made in India. I never knew Mahindra was the world’s largest tractor manufacturer until I bought mine. I’m in the 170 hour range and it’s been great thus far (in spite of me taking it off a 6’ cliff)

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    oldfish15
    Top Bottom