• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    AHH!!! NOOOO!! Anyone who recommends a Virago has never had to do extensive repair or maintenance on one! I HATE Viragos and that's coming from a Yamaha fan. (Yeah,yeah, I know my name is kawtech I've been considering changing it since I'm no longer a powersports technician )
    I'll have to take your word for it as I haven't done any extensive repairs to one. My buddy had one for awhile and never had any issues with it though, gas and sometimes oil for probably 5 years is all.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    I'll have to take your word for it as I haven't done any extensive repairs to one. My buddy had one for awhile and never had any issues with it though, gas and sometimes oil for probably 5 years is all.
    Starter gears that grind themselves into powder and break teeth off into to the engine causing catastrophic failure. Yamaha knew of the issue and their "fix" was to put a magnet in the oil pan. Carburetors that are nearly impossible to remove from the bike and they always needed carb adjustments and just generally very difficult bikes to work on. I'm mostly referring to the Virago 750. The 1100s were better

I'd still rather have a Virago 750 than a Suzuki Intruder 800 any day of the week though.

Last edited:

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    Starter gears that grind themselves into powder and break teeth off into to the engine causing catastrophic failure. Yamaha knew of the issue and their "fix" was to put a magnet in the oil pan. Carburetors that are nearly impossible to remove from the bike and they always needed carb adjustments and just generally very difficult bikes to work on. I'm mostly referring to the Virago 750. The 1100s were better

I'd still rather have a Virago 750 than a Suzuki Intruder 800 any day of the week though.
    As far as small bikes the Savage 650 is what brings crazy money around here. I remember them being dirt cheap years ago, now lots of people looking for them.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Not sure how much highway time you plan on getting, but that 300 will leave you wanting more. I've had quite a few smaller bikes from 220 up to 650 and the only ones that were comfortable on the highway were the 500 and 650. If you do plan on any off-road I found the smaller 350 great for that, but if you plan on mostly road riding I would try to get a few more CC's.
    I agree, the small bikes can do good commute but are not optimal very far, at least the old ones. I rode a CL175 Honda from Chicago to Denver & back in 1974. I changed the sprockets and chain to the CB175 parts for "highway" gearing. It was an adventure for a teenager, but no adult would tolerate it, and a passenger was out of the question. I traded for a Honda 350 twin and my friend bought the CB360. We rode a lot of day trips around the Midwest in the 55 speed limit days. I would take my girlfriend to the beach or to an event an hour away, but it was no tourer. The 65mph speed limit changed everything. The 350 Honda just was not enough, especially two up. The XS400 Yamaha was a little better. The CB500/4 was better. The XS650 was a long term bike that did 80% solo work and did a fair job supporting a pillion.

One thing I have come to realize when caught in highway traffic around major cities, POWER BUYS YOU SAFETY in certain conditions. Even as an alert MSF trainer, highway hazards pop up pretty fast. I am convinced that I would have been the center piece of a multicar pile up in Boston. I need everything that Ninja engine could give me and I got out of the pack by maybe 30 feet when cars were wadding up. On I-35 in Dallas a bimbo in an Escalade would have ground me into the wall if I didn't have the power to accelerate away. In Indy an SUV driven by a guy that looked like Mr T. started messing with me on south Holt road by the armory. It was nice to be able to put some distance pretty quick to get several cars between us.

Last edited:

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Well I did it. I've been trying to talk myself out of it for the past couple of weeks and to be honest I was doing really well, until last night. I just haaaaaaaad to get bored and get on ebay and I just haaaaaaaad to do a search for the BMW 310GS and this one haaaaaaaad to be for sale with almost every single upgrade I was interested in putting on one, and it just haaaaaaaad to only have 518 miles on it and it just haaaaaaaad to have a buy it now price $1000 below what I would pay out the door for a new one and before the $3000+ in upgrades. Lastly, it just haaaaaaaad to be in Jacksonville, FL. Ugh

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Roooaaadd trip
    That may be what's coming. I've got two requests in for quotes but I'm not optimistic they'll be able to pick it up by Tuesday evening. The previous owner has to go out of town Wednesday morning and will be gone until the following Monday so either I get it by Tuesday or add another week to the process, I wish I was a patient person but I'm more like a kid on Christmas morning with this kind of thing. Hopefully I can avoid an 1800+ mile round trip with $5 diesel and a lifted 2500 on 35s cranking out 17mpg at best.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Kind of what I was thinking, right up until I mentioned it to the wife that is.

I'm pretty much thinkin about other stuff now.
    That would be a long ride on that bike. Done it many times in a car/SUV, last few times straight through by myself as quick is I could get there, stopping as little as possible. Can't imagine doing it on that.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Well that was a whoopin, I'm not gonna try to lie. I didn't hate most of it but there were a few hours there I was not in the best of moods. :lmfao:

Sunday, 2100 hours - In bed early to try to get a couple extra hours in
    Monday, 0315 hours - Alarm goes off
    Monday, 0345 hours - Depart my house for Jacksonville, FL.
    Monday, 1730 hours - Arrive at owner's house and find out he's running late so I grab a quick sandwich
    Monday, 1930 hours - Depart Jacksonville, FL with the new wheels
    Monday, 2330 hours - Parked in a rest stop and "rested" for four hours. (A story in itself)
    Tuesday, 0330 hours - Back on the road
    Tuesday 1430 hours - Back home

Long couple of days but worth it. I still can't get my head wrapped around how I lucked into it, not that I'm complaining. I was looking at buying a new 2022 version of this bike which was going to be $7200 out the door. Just more than I wanted to spend because I knew there were a LOT of upgrades I would want to do which would add considerably to the price but those could be spread out. Then this popped up. 2018, 500 miles and 98% of the upgrades I was interested in doing already done and it was $1000 less than a bone stock brand new one. $450 in diesel later and I'm a happy camper. The wheels, tires and suspension upgrades alone were $2700 installed. Engine guard, tank guard, panier bars, center stand, Rigid auxiliary lights, barkbusters, headlight shield, skid plate, radiator guard, -1 tooth rear sprocket, Akropovic exhaust, Yoshimura spark arrestor, kickstand foot, adjustable clutch & brake lever......

I don't think she'd ever seen dirt. I took care of that pretty quickly and pert near got her stuck in the ditch. This little thing is an absolute blast to ride. Whoever coined the phrase about riding a slow bike fast being more fun than riding a fast bike slow absolutely nailed it. Good stuff at $24/mo full coverage insurance and 65 mpg. Giggity
    K7X1UGWh.jpg

zD14q8Gh.jpg

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Nice! Didn't even know you left. Sounds like you made out even with the $450 in fuel added surcharge.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    I'm several thousand ahead even with that surcharge if you consider all of the extras that are on it.
    You'll even recoup that cost over time with the fuel milage you'll get running errands with it instead of using the truck.

Top Bottom