• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    That's a Daniel Defense Omega rail. It's the only free float rail that you do't have to remove the FSB to install.

Not quite. Its the only free-float rail that doesn't require removal of the FSB and the delta ring. Midwest Industries makes a 2-piece free-float rail that doesn't require FSB removal, but you do have to cut off the delta ring with a dremel.

So you shoot it yet? :D

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    Not quite. Its the only free-float rail that doesn't require removal of the FSB and the delta ring. Midwest Industries makes a 2-piece free-float rail that doesn't require FSB removal, but you do have to cut off the delta ring with a dremel.

So you shoot it yet? :D

Nope. Got it yesterday, attached the goodies, hopefully I'll be shooting it in a couple of hours.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Nope. Got it yesterday, attached the goodies, hopefully I'll be shooting it in a couple of hours.

Take some pictures and/or video!

I'm specifically curious how it handles felt-recoil with the mid-length gas system and ST-T2 buffer.

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    Trip to the Range - Teaser

So, I went to the range this afternoon.

I have several places I can shoot, one of them is up a mountain near my house. I live at about 7300 feet elevation, this range adds another 1200 to 1500 feet. I didn't take pictures, it was foggy up the mountain.

So, I sighted it in, both the iron sights and the Eotech. I drink the ex-Delta-Operator-Turned-Shooting-School-Instructor kool-aid, so I sighted in at 50 yards, which means that between 25 yards and about 240 yards, your point of impact is no more or less than about 1.5 inches above or below your aiming point.

My 48 year old eyes ain't what they used to be, so I have no idea yet how much precision the rifle is capable of.

I will say that I'm much happier with my offhand shooting than I am my bench shooting.

I ran about 100 rounds through it and another hundred through the 22 conversion unit. No malfunctions with the .223 ammo, but about four with the conversion unit. Also, based on my plinking, I'll have no issues with using it for rabbit hunting.

Oh, and to the question about the mid-length gas system and recoil, I realized I don't have carbine experience to compare. The last AR-type rifle I fired was an issue M16, which had a rifle-length system. I will tell you this - I used to touch my nose to the charging handle to get a consistent sight picture, but the recoil on this mid-length hurt my nose when I do that! I actually started to flinch, so I'm going to have to learn a new way. So it's at least more recoil than an M16.

All in all, I'm extremely pleased with the rifle.

One question: It is a rock solid rifle with just the slightest bit of wobble between the upper and lower. Of course, this will get worse over time. Will an accuwedge eliminate this, or is some wobble a fact of life? Keep in mind, all of the M16s I was ever issued in the army wiggled like a string puppet.

Detailed review to come in a few days.

zibby43

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 5, 2010

I have several places I can shoot, one of them is up a mountain near my house. I live at about 7300 feet elevation, this range adds another 1200 to 1500 feet. I didn't take pictures, it was foggy up the mountain.

So, I sighted it in, both the iron sights and the Eotech. I drink the ex-Delta-Operator-Turned-Shooting-School-Instructor kool-aid, so I sighted in at 50 yards, which means that between 25 yards and about 240 yards, your point of impact is no more or less than about 1.5 inches above or below your aiming point.

My 48 year old eyes ain't what they used to be, so I have no idea yet how much precision the rifle is capable of.

I will say that I'm much happier with my offhand shooting than I am my bench shooting.

I ran about 100 rounds through it and another hundred through the 22 conversion unit. No malfunctions with the .223 ammo, but about four with the conversion unit. Also, based on my plinking, I'll have no issues with using it for rabbit hunting.

Oh, and to the question about the mid-length gas system and recoil, I realized I don't have carbine experience to compare. The last AR-type rifle I fired was an issue M16, which had a rifle-length system. I will tell you this - I used to touch my nose to the charging handle to get a consistent sight picture, but the recoil on this mid-length hurt my nose when I do that! I actually started to flinch, so I'm going to have to learn a new way. So it's at least more recoil than an M16.

One question: It is a rock solid rifle with just the slightest bit of wobble between the upper and lower. Of course, this will get worse over time. Will an accuwedge eliminate this, or is some wobble a fact of life? Keep in mind, all of the M16s I was ever issued in the army wiggled like a string puppet.

Nice report! Congrats on the new rifle.

Regarding your wobble question, that wobble is perfectly normal. I wouldn't worry about it. I wouldn't mess around with the Accuwedge either, as I understand it has the potential to cause some problems after a while. Cost > Benefit.

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East

sounds like a piece of ****. i tell you what, I'll trade you a used left pink sock for it. heck, im feeling frisky, I will even pay for your shipping on the sock and the rifle. thank me later. :):

nice rifle buddy! Im glad you got it. it seriously looks awesome! dont worry about the slight wobble. perfectly normal.

malern28us

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    Huntington, Indiana
    I have never had an upper that has any" wiggle." I have been spoiled by the quality that Harrison builds into his rifles. The fact that he lives close to you would have made him my first choice. Don't get me wrong, I think your new build looks sweet and I am happy for you. Some fool had to give you crap and I just figured it should be me!

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Regarding your wobble question, that wobble is perfectly normal. I wouldn't worry about it. I wouldn't mess around with the Accuwedge either, as I understand it has the potential to cause some problems after a while. Cost > Benefit.

This.

Some like to associate a tight upper-to-lower fit as a preferable thing, thinking it enhances accuracy. That's not quite true. It isn't a 1911 slide.

You'll want some amount of "wiggle" in there, as the AR family of weapons is designed to break down easily and in the field. Obviously you can have too much slop, which isn't a good thing. But what you're describing sounds perfectly normal.

Congrats on her first time out!

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    I have never had an upper that has any" wiggle." I have been spoiled by the quality that Harrison builds into his rifles. The fact that he lives close to you would have made him my first choice. Don't get me wrong, I think your new build looks sweet and I am happy for you. Some fool had to give you crap and I just figured it should be me!

Who is Harrison? And where does he live?

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    This.

Some like to associate a tight upper-to-lower fit as a preferable thing, thinking it enhances accuracy. That's not quite true. It isn't a 1911 slide.

You'll want some amount of "wiggle" in there, as the AR family of weapons is designed to break down easily and in the field. Obviously you can have too much slop, which isn't a good thing. But what you're describing sounds perfectly normal.

Congrats on her first time out!

I know it has nothing to do with accuracy, and as I implied, compared to my M16s, it is tight as it can be. Actually, another thing I'm impressed about is that I can remove the retaining pins on a new rifle with just a push of the finger. I've handled some that required a firm push with a tool. The combination of a relatively tight fit with easy takedown gets no complaint from me.

Just wondering if an accuwedge would render it rock solid.

zibby43

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 5, 2010
    I know it has nothing to do with accuracy, and as I implied, compared to my M16s, it is tight as it can be. Actually, another thing I'm impressed about is that I can remove the retaining pins on a new rifle with just a push of the finger. I've handled some that required a firm push with a tool. The combination of a relatively tight fit with easy takedown gets no complaint from me.

Just wondering if an accuwedge would render it rock solid.

Regarding the Accuwedge: I read this somewhere not too long ago: "The extra pressure on your rear takedown pin from the Accuwedge can also (over time) egg out the holes in the lower receiver for the pin." AND "The Accu-wedge puts additional upward stress against the takedown pin via the lug in the upper. The pressure of the pin against the holes in the lower stresses and wears at the aluminum in the lower and eggs out the holes. The wedge is just the source of the pressure, not the actual wearing agent."

Why risk it when the wobble is normal? Just gotta let the OCD regarding the wobble go man. :D Easier said than done. I'm OCD about things as well.

zibby43

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 5, 2010
    Agreed. I've never seen anyone reputable recommend the AccuWedge.

I concur. That has been my experience as well. It seems like whenever I see the topic pop up, I learn a new way in which it (Accuwedge) can potentially have negative consequences for the rifle.

w_ADAM_d88

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Greenfield
    I've been wanting to get a Spike's for sometime now, and of course now that I have the funds, they're super swamped with orders. Does anyone know of a place locally where I can get a lower that has the select fire markings, and the low shelf that is DIAS compatible?

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    I've been wanting to get a Spike's for sometime now, and of course now that I have the funds, they're super swamped with orders.

There are a couple "home-built" Spike's rifles for sale in the classifieds right now. Just FYI.

I'm not personally aware of any Indy shops that carry lowers regularly. Bradis might. 21st Century in Bluffton had Tactical Innovations lowers are one point.

LLDJR

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    Southside/Southport
    I've been wanting to get a Spike's for sometime now, and of course now that I have the funds, they're super swamped with orders. Does anyone know of a place locally where I can get a lower that has the select fire markings, and the low shelf that is DIAS compatible?

AIM Surplus in Ohio has Spikes Lowers in stock, 1 day shipping travel

w_ADAM_d88

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Greenfield
    We don't have the Spikes lowers in (still waiting on the 5 we ordered back in February), but just got in a new shipment of the Surplus Arms (mfg. by Aero Precision) lowers in at $99.95.

Do these have the select fire markings? Also what would be the price for a complete lower with ambi safety?

Top Bottom