• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Fouling rounds: firing off a few shots before testing for accuracy. It is what the three top target are for on this photo. It seasons the bore with the lube used in the new round as a truly clean bore (in rimfire at least) is less accurate than one that has been fouled.

e5mse1.jpg

This was a test of a 10-22 build with a fenderson 16 inch barrel. A fifty yard target shot at 25 yards. While shooting this session a guy made me an offer on the 10-22 I could not refuse.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Fouling rounds: firing off a few shots before testing for accuracy. It is what the three top target are for on this photo. It seasons the bore with the lube used in the new round as a truly clean bore (in rimfire at least) is less accurate than one that has been fouled.

e5mse1.jpg

This was a test of a 10-22 build with a fenderson 16 inch barrel. A fifty yard target shot at 25 yards. While shooting this session a guy made me an offer on the 10-22 I could not refuse.

I see, thanks for the info and nice shooting :yesway:

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Different .22's like different ammos. Don't assume that because Green Tag costs more that you'll get better accuracy over, say, CCI Standard Velocity. Different lots (production runs) of .22 ammo will also show different accuracy in different guns. Eley is super consistent, but may not be the most accurate in your rifle. SK is good stuff. Aguila is worth trying. RWS makes some top notch ammo, but the prices are high. If I were in your shoes, I'd start with bricks of the standard velocity products of the brands that suit your pocketbook. Unless you are going to shoot benchrest matches, you may find something that shoots well for a decent price. I definitely would stay away from copper washed .22 ammo for your nice Anschutz.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Different .22's like different ammos. Don't assume that because Green Tag costs more that you'll get better accuracy over, say, CCI Standard Velocity. Different lots (production runs) of .22 ammo will also show different accuracy in different guns. Eley is super consistent, but may not be the most accurate in your rifle. SK is good stuff. Aguila is worth trying. RWS makes some top notch ammo, but the prices are high. If I were in your shoes, I'd start with bricks of the standard velocity products of the brands that suit your pocketbook. Unless you are going to shoot benchrest matches, you may find something that shoots well for a decent price. I definitely would stay away from copper washed .22 ammo for your nice Anschutz.

Thanks. I'd asked Patience, the previous owner, what he shot through it with good results and he mentioned the green tag and SK standard. 55fairlane mentioned trying CCI SV, so I bought some of it too, hoping it worked reasonably well since it was a lot less expensive than either the SK or other options. I'm not even overly sure what I want to do with the gun yet, so I have some time to figure things out.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Thanks. I'd asked Patience, the previous owner, what he shot through it with good results and he mentioned the green tag and SK standard. 55fairlane mentioned trying CCI SV, so I bought some of it too, hoping it worked reasonably well since it was a lot less expensive than either the SK or other options. I'm not even overly sure what I want to do with the gun yet, so I have some time to figure things out.
    Good move asking the previous owner. My Savage-Anshutz is a small game hunting rifle. Here's what I use in the field: CCI Ammunition - Product Detail

55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven
    My Annie gets no copper washed stuff......I feed mine a SK or CCI SV.....both shoot well enough to knock down the rams at 100 yards, plus at 50 yards make groups right around nickel sized,if I do my part.......at 75 and 100 yards Eley and RWS show better groups, but I use my Anschutz for Silhouette matches, so M.O.A. is minute of animal.....lol.......keep the bulk cheapie stiff for your 10/22 .........

By the way, the scallops on top of your receier are to help you position doplar sights...........rings? Hmmmm 30 mm Burris signature to fit your dovetail (called tip off rings by some)

I will post pictures of mine in a bit

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Buying bricks is nice. The only site I know of which allows you to buy boxes then order the same lots in bricks or cases is champions choice.

Eley club is 1085 and 8 per 50. Were tenex is 20 for 50.
    ELEY Target is 6.50 a box.
    Federal target standard 4.50 a box.
    Wolf match target 6.25 a box.
    lapua pistol king 11.50 a box
    SK magazine is 54.50 for 500.
    RWS target rifle is 7 a box.

When I am looking around at ammo for accuracy it is nice to order a range of FPS stuff starting with the lupua pistol king at 935 and increase in FPS to see where a sweet spot is. In the kimber RWS target at 1085 was good and I thought it the best until I got some
    Wolf match target at 1073 which shot a little tighter and then eley match pistol at 1035. The true sweet spot seems to be 1050. Federal target match at 1080 does well and at 4.50 a box is good on the wallet.

When you order by the box the box and find the lot numbers when you find what works well you can then order a brick or a case. If it shoots real well order the case. Same lot numbers. Beats buying a brick of something else. Buy a box to test a brick to play around and a case if it works. Maybe other companies let you do it but champions choice was recommended to me long ago for this reason.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Buying bricks is nice. The only site I know of which allows you to buy boxes then order the same lots in bricks or cases is champions choice.

Eley club is 1085 and 8 per 50. Were tenex is 20 for 50.
    ELEY Target is 6.50 a box.
    Federal target standard 4.50 a box.
    Wolf match target 6.25 a box.
    lapua pistol king 11.50 a box
    SK magazine is 54.50 for 500.
    RWS target rifle is 7 a box.

When I am looking around at ammo for accuracy it is nice to order a range of FPS stuff starting with the lupua pistol king at 935 and increase in FPS to see where a sweet spot is. In the kimber RWS target at 1085 was good and I thought it the best until I got some
    Wolf match target at 1073 which shot a little tighter and then eley match pistol at 1035. The true sweet spot seems to be 1050. Federal target match at 1080 does well and at 4.50 a box is good on the wallet.

When you order by the box the box and find the lot numbers when you find what works well you can then order a brick or a case. If it shoots real well order the case. Same lot numbers. Beats buying a brick of something else. Buy a box to test a brick to play around and a case if it works. Maybe other companies let you do it but champions choice was recommended to me long ago for this reason.
    Good company and good suggestions. Champion Shooters Supply in Ohio is also a good company to deal with, especially regarding .22 rifles (especially Anschutz) and .22 ammo.

55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven
    Champion shooters supply will have there building at Camp Perry again this summer as will several others, you can go buy in person, and check out the nationl matches........

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    Champion shooters supply will have there building at Camp Perry again this summer as will several others, you can go buy in person, and check out the nationl matches........

This is an excllent suggestion and something I have wanted to do for years. The rimfire shooting is still at Camp Perry, right? Atterbury will have the centerfire stuff this year i think.

Top Bottom