• ...and so much more!
  • patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    I mis-remembered the model # WT. Pulled it out of the safe tonight. Its a 1700 FWT. 54 action with the older wing style safety and a tapered barrel. Don't think they made a large # of them. It's a sweet shooter and I would not consider letting it go if I had not bought the 1727F. I know you'll be pleased with it.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    I have a Savage-Anschutz .22 rifle and it is extremely accurate. I was lucky and got a good deal many years ago. I've owned Remington, Ruger and other brands, but this rifle is tops. I've never been a fan of the Ruger 10/22 and I owned one. Of the bolt actions on your list (unless you score that Anschutz) I go with the CZ 452 or 453 (with set trigger). Nothing wrong with the Savage .22's either.

I have an S/A 54 sporter that is a fine rifle as well. I put a Williams peep sight on it and use it for the iron sights contest at the Shawnee squirrel hunt in September.

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I just remembered that during my shop hopping today I came across a Ruger 77/22 in 22LR. It was at Primary Arms in Brownsburg, in case anyone is looking for one. Just wanted to share that at we had discussed them earlier in this thread.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    Sportsman's guide STILL has ultramatch 22 for $80/brick..

You're welcome.

Context: I bring up UM22 because out of my stock 455 and my bud's Lilja-barreled 455, this stuff (UM22) is statistically indistinguishable from Center-x and the advantage of Midas+ even is hard to distinguish. And the latter will usually set you back TWICE what the cost of the UM22 does.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Just brought her home:

XXsNb1R.jpg

Thanks again Patience! :cool:

55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven
    Those 54 action anschutz are a real pile of crap.......I will come down there, give you a bone stock 10/22 and a box of golden bullets for it.........:laugh::):.........I am certine you will that better........anschutz, what off name brand of silly rifle is that........hhhhhhmmmmmfffffff.............that darn thing doesn't even come with sights on it? Next thing you will tell me is it will shoot nickel sized groups at 50 yards......

Very nice rifle.....does your have the adjustable trigger, as in you can move the trigger blade back and forth? You can set the sear engagement as well as pull weight, I set my trigger my fist stage is neutral.....then my second stage breaks at 9oz..........

Now get ya some SK and go shooting........

Love your 54

Aaron

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    It's always a pleasure delivering a rifle to someone who will use and appreciate it.

Oh I definitely will. I can't wait to get a scope mounted and get it out to the range :yesway:

Those 54 action anschutz are a real pile of crap.......I will come down there, give you a bone stock 10/22 and a box of golden bullets for it.........:laugh::):.........I am certine you will that better........anschutz, what off name brand of silly rifle is that........hhhhhhmmmmmfffffff.............that darn thing doesn't even come with sights on it? Next thing you will tell me is it will shoot nickel sized groups at 50 yards......

Very nice rifle.....does your have the adjustable trigger, as in you can move the trigger blade back and forth? You can set the sear engagement as well as pull weight, I set my trigger my fist stage is neutral.....then my second stage breaks at 9oz..........

Now get ya some SK and go shooting........

Love your 54

Aaron

I anticipate having my SK ammo in by Tuesday. Hopefully I can order some scope rings and have a scope mounted by next weekend :D

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Context: I bring up UM22 because out of my stock 455 and my bud's Lilja-barreled 455, this stuff (UM22) is statistically indistinguishable from Center-x and the advantage of Midas+ even is hard to distinguish. And the latter will usually set you back TWICE what the cost of the UM22 does.

Couldn't bring myself to do it. Even at that sale price it was too spendy for my blood. I've been told that SK standard and CCI SV should do very well in my Anschutz, so that's what I've bought. If I need better I should be able to move up to CCI green tag and still be under the price of that UM22. Of course, knowing me when I have some money to spare, I'll pick up a brick just to test with.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Get a few different speeds of ammo is important also. CCI standard is to fast for the best accuracy in my kimber and a few other rifles yet preforms best in some others where you would think the match ammo should preform very well. If the difference in the ammo is all about rim thickness bullet shape and prime compound/powder used but all shooting around the 1120 FPS mark it will be hard to get a good grasp on THE BESt for the Annie. My fathers annie likes the Ely match but that ammo smells like burning plastic to me. Small amounts of speed difference can make or brake groupings 30 fps can make a difference.

The Kimber 82g likes ammo at close to 1050. The rem 541t shoots best with cci standard which runs about 1125. The winchester 52 seems to love wolf mt. My best shooting marlin 39a (not a target gun but very accurate) is not picky at all with anything from pistol match to CCI stingers all shooting very well. Put any high gel ammo in my kimber and the marlin will shoot with it. My target “silly wet” buckmark works best with federal lighting from the 1980’s of which I have like 5 boxes left from the bricks I bought years ago. The new version does not work nearly as well. When I use the sillywet to go squirrel hunting I have to switch up to federal game shock rounds and loose a bit of accuracy in case I can only see the body not the head.

Run a patch and a few fouling rounds before switching ammo brands.

Top Bottom