• M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    Thread needs more pics

Common theme among tomahawks

Estwing for the money is hard to beat. I have a H&B as well that has been used as a super hard beater and thrower

Depends if you want tactical or traditional

Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County
    On sale now

dzmjgesnsdesb3ykecei.jpg

Do the right things and you can get them sent to you by the dozen for free.

The Professor

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 3, 2015
    Evansville
    I guess I'm too damn practical. Everyone wants a tacticool 'hawk whereas I have a hawk to use as a tool when I go deep in the woods (or backyard). I did a lot of research and eventually picked the basic, boring Trail Hawk from Cold Steel. I made a couple slight modifications to the handle (drilled for a cord and coated the bottom of the handle with a grippier material) and have used it many times to do basic, backwoods stuff.

No, it ain't sexy. No a Geardo isn't going to be sporting a major chub when he holds it in his hands. . . but I'll tell you a little secret based upon over 40 years of martial arts experience and some playing around with these "tacticool" 'hawks: you DO NOT want a spike on your 'hawk if you want to use it for self-defense (or combat). Get a trainer, paint the blade of the 'hawk red and the spike blue (or use chalk, whatever).

Now, grab your favorite sparring partner and go at it for a few. Have him try to wrestle the 'hawk from you, don't let him be a "willing uke."

You may find yourself being injured just as much as, if not more so, than the other guy.

Get a hammer poll, or no poll at all. It can still be used as an impact tool.

Just a nickel's worth of info, worth everything you paid for it.

The Professor

Tomahawkman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Aug 7, 2014
    Hamilton County
    I get the feeling I should comment here, not sure why though.:dunno:

Anyway my suggestion like some others are the cold steel hawks, buy from amazon and you can get them for cheap. I had 5 at one point sold 3 on here to somebody.

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    So - it appears that I'm meeting just a BIT (Ahem) of resistance from my spousal unit...

Considering what we just spent on her eyeballs last Friday, one would think she'd be sympathetic to a $50-ish low-end something or other.

BUT - perhaps it's just because of what we spent on her eyeballs that the resistance is there...

I have grand dreams of fashioning some kind of wooden target in my back yard and, uh, practicing throwing a 'hawk. I think that'd be a great stress reliever when I can't get to the range. :D

A neighbor down the street lost a 50 year+ maple tree over the last week. I'm sure he'd be willing to give you as many targets as you wish if you bring a chainsaw.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    I like the older forged hawks and belt axes. I have one older one that we dug but I'd like to find some older ones in better shape (1750's_1820's) to display. There's a lot of fakes out there

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    I still have a 2hawks that generated some controversy here a few years back. It's been a good chopper and I've thrown it some.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    They used to have a booth at the Indy1500 so several were sold to INGO members. I think 1 or 2 broke and complained about the grain structure in the steel and said it wasn't as advertised. The rest of us went on to chop the living snot out of them with no problems at all. Heat treat errors? Material errors? Who knows. Mine is great.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    They used to have a booth at the Indy1500 so several were sold to INGO members. I think 1 or 2 broke and complained about the grain structure in the steel and said it wasn't as advertised. The rest of us went on to chop the living snot out of them with no problems at all. Heat treat errors? Material errors? Who knows. Mine is great.
    Cool yep I bought two when the were at the 1500 no issues. They were really discounted there too
    Then I bought another off I go no issues but I've only thrown it a couple of times

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.

It wasn't so much an issue with the hawks themselves because they were pretty nice hawks. It was the fact that the owner misrepresented how he made them. He advertised them as being hand forged, and when a few of them broke, people who had some experience with metal processes claimed the heads were casted and not forged....so the controversy started here on INGO and on another forum. On the other forum it got real ugly.......funny how that guy disappeared within the year, and you no longer see 2hawks at the Indy 1500.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    It wasn't so much an issue with the hawks themselves because they were pretty nice hawks. It was the fact that the owner misrepresented how he made them. He advertised them as being hand forged, and when a few of them broke, people who had some experience with metal processes claimed the heads were casted and not forged....so the controversy started here on INGO and on another forum. On the other forum it got real ugly.......funny how that guy disappeared within the year, and you no longer see 2hawks at the Indy 1500.

Hand cast, forged, you know, close enough

I thought he was there the last time I was at the 1500, but that's been a while ago and time flies. But I remember him being there after the hand casted controversy went down

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    Hand cast, forged, you know, close enough

I thought he was there the last time I was at the 1500, but that's been a while ago and time flies. But I remember him being there after the hand casted controversy went down

Yes, he was at a couple of Indy 1500 after the blow up, but he has not been there in the last year to year and half. Which really makes no sense since he told me several times that he pretty much sells everything he brings to the show. :dunno:

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Yes, he was at a couple of Indy 1500 after the blow up, but he has not been there in the last year to year and half. Which really makes no sense since he told me several times that he pretty much sells everything he brings to the show. :dunno:

Maybe money isn't his sole motivator. I used to sell everything at the 1500 that id bring too but I got tired of screwing with it

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Update:

I now have a Cold Steel Trench Hawk... Just as soon as I can take delivery of it.

CZ evo3 was gracious enough to GIVE me the above-mentioned wife-chagrinning device.

And another INGOer, Cameramonkey, is/was gracious enough to transport it back to me after the match that both he and CZ were at this past weekend.

I've been in touch with Cameramonkey and gotta work out the details on when we can meet up for me to get it from him.

So: INGO rocks!

Top Bottom